Square profile - Privacy Notice for Buyer Features and Square Pay
Last updated: July 13, 2023
We’ve included annotations in the gray boxes below to emphasize certain portions of our notice and help guide you as you read them. The annotations aren’t summaries, so please take the time to read everything!
This Privacy Notice applies to you if: (i) you are a consumer shopping at a business that uses Square and you provide information to Square in order to receive a digital receipt and email marketing messages; (ii) you have created a Square Profile Account; (iii) you have signed up to use Square Pay; (iv) you are a buyer using the Square Go App; or (v) you have signed up to use Square Local Offers.
This privacy notice explains what data we collect about you, what we do with it, when and why we share it with others, how long we keep it, how we secure it, what cookies are and what they (and similar technologies) do, what data is collected about you by third party service providers, and what choices you have to control your data.
This Privacy Notice describes how Block, Inc. and our affiliates (collectively, “Square,” “we,” and “us”) collect, use, disclose, transfer, store, retain or otherwise process your information when you choose to:
(i) receive a digital receipt after you make a purchase at a Square Seller;
(ii) receive email marketing communications from Your Sellers via Square;
(iii) visit this Square profile portal for buyers (“Square profile”) __(items (i), (ii) and (iii) are collectively “Buyer Features”);
(iv) sign up for and use Square Pay;
(v) sign up for and use Square Go; or
(vi) sign up for and use Square Local Offers (items (i) - (vi) are collectively “Square Buyer Services”).
This Privacy Notice also describes the choices available to you regarding our use of your information, the measures we take to safeguard the personal information and how you can contact us about our privacy practices.
For details about our privacy practices with respect to the information we obtain when you use Squareup.com and when Your Sellers use Square product features other than the Square Buyer Services, please visit here. Squareup.com also contains information on what other Square product features Your Sellers may use.
For Sellers who apply or sign up for a Square Account, click here to see the privacy notice that applies to you.
- Information We Collect About You
- Sources of Information
- How We Use Your Information
- When and With Whom We Share Your Information
- How Long We Keep Your Information
- Your Choices
- Children’s Personal Information
- How We Secure Information
- Storage and Processing
- Changes to This Privacy Notice
- How to Contact Us
When this Privacy Notice Applies:
This Privacy Notice applies solely to the processing of information that we obtain from you when you interact with Square by using our Square Buyer Services (i.e., when you provide information for a digital receipt, Seller marketing, or Square Local Offers, use the Square profile portal, use Square Pay, or use Square Go).
When this Privacy Notice does NOT apply:
This Privacy Notice does not apply when Square is processing your information as a service provider to Your Sellers (instead, this other privacy notice applies in those circumstances). When you shop at Your Sellers, we collect certain information on Your Sellers’ behalf as their payment processor. For example, when you make a purchase or interact with a Seller, we may collect:
- Your signature and payment card information, such as card number, expiration date, and security code;
- Transaction details, such as when and where the transactions occur, the names of the transacting parties, a description of the transactions, the payment or transfer amounts, and the devices and payment methods used to complete the transactions;
- Any gift cards you purchase or receive; and
- Billing and shipping address information
We obtain this information on Your Sellers’ behalf to provide them with our payment processing services. Your Sellers operate independently from us, and your agreement with the relevant Seller governs how the Seller uses and shares this information, including with Square. Each Seller’s privacy practices, including details on the information they may collect about you, are subject to the privacy statements of these Sellers, which we strongly suggest you review. If you have questions about a Seller’s privacy practices, please direct those questions to the Seller.
INFORMATION WE COLLECT ABOUT YOU
We use your data to make Square’s products and services work better for you and for others. This describes what data we collect about you (which can vary depending on where you live).
Information You Provide
When you sign up for, opt in to, or make use of the Square Buyer Services, we obtain identifying information about you, such as your:
- Full name, mobile phone number, and email address;
- Location information;
- Payment card information and billing address;
- Shipping address and preferred shipping method;
- Transactional history, including payment amount, items and Seller; and
- Any other information you provide, such as your Cash App $cashtag.
We also may collect information that you choose to provide to us through the Square profile portal, such as an alternate email address and telephone number, or information that you may provide to Customer Support, including to the chatbots (including third-party chatbots) that operate on our Services.
Information We Collect From Your Use of the Square Buyer Services
When you use the Square Buyer Services, we collect information about your device, browsing actions, and usage patterns. The information we obtain in this manner may include:
- Identifiers, such as Internet Protocol (“IP”) address, online identifier, and unique personal identifier (including device identifier; third-party cookies, beacons, pixel tags, mobile ad identifiers and similar technology; customer number, unique pseudonym, or user alias; and other forms of persistent or probabilistic identifiers);
- Internet and other electronic network activity information, including, but not limited to, browsing history, and information regarding your interaction with our Square profile portal (e.g., dates and times of visits);
- Electronic information, such as web browser and device characteristics;
- Transactional information, including payment amount, items and Seller;
- Location information, which includes the location of your device, and may in some circumstances include precise geolocation data; and
- Any other information you may enter into the Square Buyer Services, such as email address or telephone number.
This information helps us (i) remember your information so you do not have to re-enter it; (ii) track and understand how you use and interact with our Square Buyer Services; (iii) tailor the Square Buyer Services around your preferences; (iv) measure the usability of our Square Buyer Services and the effectiveness of our communications; and (v) otherwise manage and enhance our Square Buyer Services and other products and services.
SOURCES OF INFORMATION
We collect your information from you and the other sources listed below.
We collect information about you from the following categories of sources:
- From you or your device, for example, when you visit our Square profile portal, submit your contact information for digital receipts at a Square Point of Sale system, or use the other Square Buyer Services;
- Your Sellers; and
- Our group companies and affiliates, including Cash App, Afterpay, and TIDAL.
HOW WE USE YOUR INFORMATION
We use your data to do things like send you information about your transaction, figure out if our services work in your country, secure your data, fight fraud, follow the law, figure out what new products we can build, recommend Sellers to you, and help your Sellers market to you.
We may collect, use and share (or have collected, used or shared during at least the 12-month period preceding the effective date of this Privacy Notice) the information we obtain about you when you use the Square Buyer Services for the following reasons:
Advertising and Email Marketing
- Showing your information in the directory of Your Sellers;
- Sending you promotional email messages on behalf of Your Sellers or from Square; and
- Showing you promotional offers on behalf of your Sellers or from Square on the Square Buyer Services.
Providing, Improving, and Developing our Products and Services
- Providing our Square Buyer Services, including delivering digital receipts and other information, providing your Square Local Offers, automatically populating your Square Pay Information when you transact with Seller sites that use Square Pay, providing you with information on local Sellers, providing recommendations of similar Sellers based on your or other Buyers’ prior patronage;
- Operating, evaluating, developing, managing, and improving our business (including operating, administering, analyzing, and improving our Square Buyer Services, and other products and services; developing new products and services; managing and evaluating the effectiveness of our communications; and performing accounting, auditing, billing, and other internal functions);
- Personalizing and facilitating your use of our Square Buyer Services;
- Performing analytics (including measuring, tracking, and evaluating trends and usage of Square’s different products and services, and aggregating and deidentifying personal information); and
- Doing internal research.
Communicating with You
- Automatically sending you digital receipts for future purchases you make from Your Sellers, authentication information during the sign-up and use of our Square Buyer Services, and to allow Your Sellers and Square to send you emailed messages via Square, subject to your preferences;
- Communicating with you about our Square Buyer Services, and sending you information we think you may find useful about our Square Buyer Services;
- Responding to your requests and inquiries; and
- Conducting surveys and collecting your feedback about our Square Buyer Services.
Protecting our Services and Maintaining a Trusted Environment
- Conducting investigations, complying with and enforcing applicable laws, regulations, legal requirements and industry standards, and responding to lawful requests for information from the government or to valid legal process;
- Contacting you to resolve disputes and help you with our Square Buyer Services;
- Debugging to identify and repair errors that impair how our services function;
- Enforcing our agreements, policies and terms, including this Privacy Notice and, as applicable, our Buyer Features General Terms of Service, Square Pay Terms of Service(s), Square Go Terms of Service, and/or Square Local Offers Terms of Service;
- Investigating, detecting, preventing, recovering from, or reporting fraud, misrepresentations, security breaches or incidents, or other potentially prohibited, malicious, or illegal activities;
- Protecting the security and integrity of our products and services, and the rights and property of you and other Buyers, Sellers, and Square;
- Verifying or maintaining the quality or safety of our Square Buyer Services, and to improve, upgrade, or enhance our Square Buyer Services; and
- Verifying your identity.
- For any other reason we may tell you about from time to time.
Digital receipts and other Square Buyer Services may contain additional messages, offers, or links that may be of interest to you. For example, you may be able to send feedback to a Seller, share your experience on social media, view your purchase history, join programs, visit websites, or take advantage of promotions. When you submit or share information through a receipt (such as submitting feedback), we may share that information with Your Sellers and you may receive responses from them. If you wish to opt out of receiving automatic digital receipts or change your preferences about digital receipts or marketing, please see the “Your Choices” section below.
WHEN AND WITH WHOM WE SHARE YOUR INFORMATION
We share your information with others in the circumstances described in this section. For example, with other people with whom you interact when you use our services (like Your Sellers); within our family of companies (like Cash App, Afterpay and TIDAL), who may offer services that we think could be useful to you; with service providers who help us run our services; or if we need to share your information to comply with the law.
We may share the information described in the “Information We Collect About You” section with the following categories of service providers and third parties:
With Your Sellers
- We share your masked contact information you provide when you request a digital receipt with Your Sellers you subsequently visit.
- We share your contact information from your buyer account to update/correct information in Customer Directory
- When you use Square Pay to process a transaction with a Seller site that uses Square Pay, we will provide the Seller with your Square Pay Information so that the Seller can process and fulfill your order.
- When you use Square Local Offers, we share your transactional information, such as whether you are a new customer for the Seller, with your Seller to process the incentive and/or discount you are entitled to and to price the offer, and other information related to your use of Square Local Offers.
- When you use Square Go, we share your booking appointment details, the contact information you provide when you book or request a Seller service, preference information you provide, information related to similar Sellers based on your prior patronage, information related to incentivized referrals and/or discounts from other Buyers with that Seller, and other information related to your use of Square Go.
With our Affiliates and Group Companies
With our group companies and corporate affiliates, including Cash App, Afterpay and TIDAL, for the reasons outlined above. For example, we may share:
- Your information to provide you with Square Local Offer or Loyalty rewards, such as a credit to your Cash App account;
- Your information internally to understand how you engage with Square company products to help make our services better for you and for everyone, and to help us build services tailored to your preferences;
- Your information internally to help protect our services and maintain a trusted environment.
With our Service Providers
- With service providers who help us provide, maintain, and improve our services;
- With service providers that run our advertising campaigns, contests, special offers, chatbots, or other events or activities on our behalf.
With Advertising Partners
Business Transfers and Corporate Changes
- To a subsequent owner, co-owner, or operator of one or more of the services; or
- If we do or try to do a corporate merger, consolidation, or restructuring (including during due diligence and negotiation of these); the sale of substantially all of our stock and/or assets; the financing, acquisition, divestiture, or dissolution of all or a portion of our business; or other corporate change.
Safety and Compliance with Law
- If we believe that disclosure is reasonably necessary (i) to comply with any applicable law, regulation, legal process or governmental request (e.g., from creditors, tax authorities, law enforcement agencies, in response to a garnishment, levy, or lien notice, etc.); (ii) to establish, exercise or defend our legal rights; (iii) to enforce or comply with, as applicable, our Terms of Service or other applicable agreements or policies; (iv) to protect our or our customers’ rights or property, or the security or integrity of our services; (v) for an investigation of suspected or actual illegal activity; or (vi) to protect us, users of our services or the public from harm, fraud, or potentially prohibited or illegal activities.
With Others With Your Consent
- With your consent. For example:
- At your direction or as described at the time you agree to share; or
- When you authorize a third party application or website to access your information.
Aggregated and Anonymized Information
- We also may share (within our group of companies or affiliates, or with service providers or other third parties) aggregated and anonymized information that does not specifically identify you or any individual user of our services.
COOKIES, OTHER SIMILAR AUTOMATED TECHNOLOGIES, AND ADVERTISING
Digital cookies and similar technologies help us make our services better to use by doing things like analyzing how you use our services so we can make them more useful to you, giving you a more personalized experience, and making ads to you work better.
When you interact with our Square Buyer Services, or open emails we send you, we obtain certain information using automated technologies, such as cookies, web server logs, web beacons, and other technologies. A “cookie” is a text file that websites send to a visitor’s computer or other internet-connected device to uniquely identify the visitor’s browser or to store information or settings in the browser. A “web beacon,” also known as an internet tag, pixel tag or clear GIF, is a tiny graphic image that may be used in our Square profile portal or emails.
We use these automated technologies to collect your device information, internet activity information, and inferences as described above. These technologies help us to:
- Remember your information so you do not have to re-enter it;
- Track and understand how you use and interact with our Square profile portal;
- Tailor our online services to your preferences;
- Measure how useful and effective our services and communications are to you; and
- Otherwise manage and enhance our products and services.
We set some of these automated technologies ourselves, but others are set by third parties who deliver services on our behalf. For example, we may use other companies’ web analytics services (described in the “Third-Party Analytics Services” section), which use automated technologies to help us evaluate how customers use our websites. Some of these technologies may also be set by third parties that help us advertise our products and services to you as informed by your interests, based on information collected from your activity on the web, including but not limited to, browsing or purchasing products on or through our websites or on third party websites or your activity on mobile sites and applications. This advertising approach is called interest-based advertising or “targeted advertising.”
Your browser can alert you when cookies are placed on your device, and how you can stop or disable them via your browser settings. More information on how to manage these settings on common browsers and devices are below.
- Manage cookie settings in Chrome and Chrome Android and Chrome iOS
- Manage cookie settings in Firefox
- Manage cookie settings in Internet Explorer
- Manage cookie settings in Microsoft Edge
- Manage cookie settings in Safari and Safari iOS
Please note, however, that without cookies all of the features of our Square profile portal may not work properly. If you use a mobile device, you can manage how your device and browser share certain device data by adjusting the privacy and security settings on your mobile device. You also can learn more about cookies and how to manage your preferences by visiting http://www.allaboutcookies.org.
You can also opt out of receiving interest-based ads from third party advertisers who are members of the Network Advertising Initiative (NAI) or who follow the Digital Advertising Alliance’s (DAA) Self-Regulatory Principles for Online Behavioral Advertising by visiting the opt out pages on the NAI website and DAA website.
Within mobile applications, you may also go to your device settings and select “Limit Ad Tracking” (for iOS devices), or “Opt out of Interest-Based Ads” (for Android devices), which will allow you to limit our use of information collected from or about your mobile device (such as precise location data) for the purposes of serving interest-based advertising to you.
Please also see the “Your Choices” section for other ways to opt-out of interest-based or targeted advertising.
We use other companies to help us analyze our site, track metrics, and advertise to you. These companies generally promised us under contract to keep data private but have their own privacy policies that you should be aware of.
Our analytics partners help us with our Square Buyer Services, such as Google Analytics, BugSnag, and Crashlytics. The analytics providers that administer these services use technologies such as cookies, web beacons, and web server logs to help us analyze your use of the portal. We may disclose your site-use information (including IP address) to these analytics providers, and other service providers to help us figure out how you and others use our Square profile portal.
- To learn more about Google Analytics and how to opt out, please visit google.com/intl/en/analytics/learn/privacy.html or support.google.com/analytics/answer/181881?hl=en.
- To learn more about BugSnag, please visit https://docs.bugsnag.com/legal/privacy-policy/.
- To learn more about Crashlytics, please visit https://fabric.io/terms.
Certain web browsers allow you to instruct your browser to send Do Not Track (“DNT”) signals to websites you visit, informing those sites that you do not want your online activities to be tracked. At this time, our Square profile portal is not designed to respond to DNT signals or similar mechanisms from browsers.
HOW LONG WE KEEP YOUR INFORMATION
We keep your information as long as you keep using our products and services. After that, we keep it for as long as we need it to do things like fight fraud, collect fees you owe, enable Your Sellers to use Square services to run their businesses, resolve disputes with (or involving) you, follow the law, enforce our agreements and defend our rights in court.
We keep your information as long as is necessary for the purposes identified in this Privacy Notice, including to provide you our services, to comply with applicable law and legal obligations, to defend our legal rights, property and users. We may keep copies of information about you and any transactions or services in which you may have participated for a period of time that is consistent with certain criteria, such as applicable law, applicable statute of limitations, or as we believe is reasonably necessary to comply with applicable law, regulation, legal process, or governmental request, enable Your Sellers to continue to use Square services to run their business, to detect or prevent fraud, to collect fees owed, to resolve disputes, to address problems with our services, to assist with investigations, to enforce, as applicable, our Terms of Service or other applicable agreements or policies, or to take any other actions consistent with applicable law.
As described further below, you may be entitled to certain rights with respect to your information. You can see, change or fix information you gave us, control your location information, or opt out of receiving promotional messages from your Sellers.
You may use our Square profile portal to opt out of receiving automatic digital receipts communications from all of Your Sellers (if those communications are sent by Square on the Sellers’ behalf) by accessing the portal here. We also give you the option to opt out of promotional email communications from Your Sellers through our Square profile portal. You can also use our Square profile portal to download, update or delete your contact information that we have on file.
In addition, you may always unsubscribe from or manage your preferences regarding the digital receipts or marketing emails we send on a Seller’s behalf by following the instructions in those messages. Opting out of receiving communications may impact your use of the Square Buyer Features. If you decide to opt out of promotional communications, we may still send you transactional communications, such as digital receipts that you request.
Sellers’ Loyalty programs and promotional text message programs that you have signed up for on a Seller-by-Seller basis are not included in Square’s Buyer Features. If you have signed up for a Seller’s Loyalty or text marketing program, and you would like to change your preferences, text STOP to stop receiving Loyalty and promotional text messages from that Seller or contact the Seller directly.
Square Pay, Square Local Offers, and Square Go
You may access, delete, or amend your personal information, by accessing the portal at [https//profile.squareup.com/login], but we reserve the right to ask for additional information or documentation to verify your identity in connection with such requests.
To remove (and unlink) your Square Pay Information, click the “Opt Out of Square Pay” link at the bottom of the checkout page. You also may also opt out of Square Pay by clicking https://checkout.square.site/stored-payment/opt-out.
You can modify your Square Pay Information the next time you check out on a merchant site that uses Square Pay. After successfully verifying your identity by entering the verification code, you can modify your payment card information by selecting “Use a different card” on the checkout page. To modify any other Square Pay Information, select “Edit” in the appropriate section of the checkout page.
If you have any issues removing or modifying your personal information from the Square Buyer Services, please contact our Help Center. Your access to the Square Buyer Services may be terminated as explained in the Terms of Service.
If your Square Pay account is terminated or if you opt out of Square Pay, we will unlink and remove all of your Square Pay Information within a reasonable period of time. If you have completed order transactions with a merchant that uses Square Pay, we will retain your Square Pay Information in order to provide services to the merchant with whom you’re transacting and to comply with applicable law.
YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION RIGHTS
Depending on the jurisdiction in which you reside, you may be entitled under applicable law to request:
- Access to your personal information, including: (1) the categories of personal information described above that we have collected about you and the categories of sources from which we collected such personal information; (2) the business or commercial purposes for collecting or sharing such personal information; (3) the categories of personal information about you that we have disclosed to third parties for a business purpose; (4) the categories of third parties to whom we have disclosed such personal information; and (5) in portable format, the specific pieces of personal information we have collected about you;
- Deletion of the personal information we have collected from you;
- Correction of the personal information we have collected about you;
- To opt-out of the sharing of your personal information for purposes of targeted advertising.
To the extent you would like to send us a request to exercise your access, deletion, or correction rights for Buyer Features, you may do so by contacting us at 1.844.213.7377, or through the Square profile portal. To the extent you would like to send us a request to exercise your access, deletion, or correction rights for Square Buyer Services you may do so by contacting us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org, by writing to us at Block, Inc. (Attn: Privacy), 1955 Broadway, Suite 600, Oakland, CA 94612, U.S.A, or by calling us at 1.844.213.7377.
To help protect your privacy and maintain security, we take steps to verify your identity before granting you access to your personal information or complying with your request.
You may designate an authorized agent to make a request on your behalf as permitted under law, though before we process that request, we will require that you provide the authorized agent written permission to do so and verify your identity directly with us.
You, or an authorized agent you designate to submit a request on your behalf, may also contact us at the address below.
You can exercise your right to opt-out of targeted advertising by clicking the “Opt Out of Interest-Based Advertising” link in the footer of any page on our browser site.
Although some of the information we collect and process about you may be considered sensitive personal information, we only process such information for purposes authorized by law, such as to provide you with certain services you request from us.
We will not discriminate against you if you exercise these privacy rights, nor will we deny, charge different prices for, or provide a different quality of goods or services if you choose to exercise these rights.
CHILDREN’S PERSONAL INFORMATION
If you are a child under 13, please don’t use our services. If we collect your data and later learn you are a child under 13, we will delete it.
Our services are general audience services not directed at children under the age of 13. We do not knowingly sell or share the personal information of children under the age of 13. If we learn that any information we collect has been provided by a child under the age of 13, we will promptly delete that information.
HOW WE SECURE INFORMATION
We do a lot to keep your data safe. While we think we have strong defenses in place, no one can ever guarantee that hackers won’t be able to break into our sites or steal your data while it is stored or flowing from you to us or vice versa.
We maintain administrative, technical, and physical safeguards to protect your information from loss, theft, and misuse, and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, and destruction. Nevertheless, the internet is not a 100% secure environment, and we cannot guarantee absolute security of the transmission or storage of your information. We hold information about you both at our own premises and with the assistance of third-party service providers.
For more information about our security practices, please visit https://squareup.com/us/en/security.
STORAGE AND PROCESSING
We operate in many countries, and we (or our service providers) may move your data and process it outside the country where you live.
We may, and we may use third-party service providers to process and store your information in the United States, Canada, Japan, United Kingdom (UK), the European Union, and other countries.
CHANGES TO THIS PRIVACY NOTICE
We can change this Privacy Notice. If you disagree with the changes, you can stop using our services.
We may amend this Privacy Notice from time to time by posting a revised version and updating the “Effective Date” above. The revised version will be effective on the “Effective Date” listed. We will provide you with prior notice of material changes in how we use your information. If you disagree with these changes, you may stop using our services at any time.
HOW TO CONTACT US
You can contact our privacy team with any questions or concerns at the address below.
If you wish to exercise your right to access or delete your personal information, you may do so through the Square profile portal. For other inquiries, please contact our privacy team with any questions or concerns regarding this Privacy Notice:
1955 Broadway, Suite 600
Oakland, CA 94612
If you have any questions or concerns regarding this Privacy Notice, or if you believe this Privacy Notice or applicable laws relating to the protection of your personal information have not been respected, you may file a complaint with our privacy team listed above. We will respond to let you know when you can expect a further response. We may request additional details from you regarding your concerns and may need to engage or consult with other parties in order to investigate and address your issue. We may keep records of your request and any resolution.