Privacy Notice for Users Who Do Not Apply or Sign Up for a Square Account or Other Services
For users who apply or sign up for a Square Account, click here.
Effective Date: May 25, 2018
We’ve included annotations in these gray boxes as a guide to our notices. Annotations aren’t part of the notices and have no legal effect, but they should help you follow the text.
If you are a consumer shopping at a business that uses Square, this privacy notice applies to you. It explains what data we collect about you, what we do with it, when and why we share it with others, how long we keep it, how we secure it, what cookies are and what they (and similar technologies) do, what data is collected about you by third party service providers, and what choices you have to control your data.
By using our services you consent to these data practices.
This Privacy Notice describes how Square, Inc. and our affiliates (collectively, “Square,” “we,” and “us”) collect, use, disclose, transfer, store, retain or otherwise process your information when you (whether you are a person or business) access or use in any manner any Square services (including, but not limited to through a digital receipt or Square Invoice, at a point of sale, using Online Store or any of Square API products, or scheduling an appointment) through Square’s website or applications (collectively, “Services”); or otherwise contact or interact with us, even if you have not applied or signed up for a Square account or other Service or downloaded one of our applications.
This Privacy Notice applies to your use of our Services, and covers information collected in connection with your access to and use of our Services. Please read this Privacy Notice carefully. By continuing to interact with our Services, you are consenting to the practices described in this Privacy Notice.
Our Privacy Notice explains:
- What information we collect about you
- How we use your information
- When and with whom we share your information
- How long we retain your information
- Cookies and other similar technologies
- Third party advertising and analytics
- Your choices
- Storage and processing
- Changes to this privacy notice
INFORMATION WE COLLECT ABOUT YOU
We use your data to make Square’s products and services work better for you and for others. This describes what data we get about you, which can vary depending on where you live.
We need to collect information about you to provide you with the Services or the support you request. The type of information we collect can vary depending on the country from which you access our Services. Additionally, you can choose to voluntarily provide information to us.
Information You Provide
We use data you put into our systems when you interact with someone who uses Square, like financial information, information that identifies who you are, transaction information, and any other data you give us.
We collect information you provide when you upload or send to or through our Services (including information you provide when you request delivery of a digital receipt or schedule an appointment), communicate with us, answer our surveys, upload content, make a payment at a Square Seller, or otherwise use or access the Services.
We collect information from you, including:
- Identification Information. Your name; email address; mailing address; phone number; government-issued identification; or other historical, contact, and demographic information, and signature(for example, when you sign a receipt at a Square Seller).
- Financial Information. Bank account and payment card numbers.
- Transaction Information. When you use our Services to make or record payments, or request delivery of a digital receipt, we collect information about when and where the transactions occur, the names of the transacting parties, a description of the transactions, the payment or transfer amounts, billing and shipping information, and the devices and payment methods used to complete the transactions.
- Other Information You Provide. Information that you voluntarily provide to us, including your survey responses; participation in contests, promotions, or other prospective seller marketing forms or devices; suggestions for improvements; referrals; or any other actions performed on the Services.
Information We Collect from Your Use of our Services
We also get data about you and the devices you use when you interact with our systems, like the mobile device you use to pay a Square seller and its location. We need this data to do things like help combat fraud, check if payments are being made legally, and send you information you ask for or agree to get.
We collect information about you and the devices you use to access the Services, such as your computer, mobile phone, or tablet. The information that we collect includes:
- Location Information. The location of your device if you pay with Apple or Android Pay. You can disable collection of location information by changing the preferences on your mobile device or by choosing to pay with a payment instrument other than Apple or Android Pay.
- Device Information. Information about your device, including your hardware model, operating system and version, device name, unique device identifier, mobile network information, and information about the device’s interaction with our Services.
- Use Information. Information about how you use our Services, including your access time, “log-in” and “log-out” information, browser type and language, country and language setting on your device, Internet Protocol (“IP”) address, the domain name of your Internet service provider, other attributes about your browser, mobile device and operating system, any specific page you visit on our platform, content you view, features you use, the date and time of your visit to or use of the Services, your search terms, the website you visited before you visited or used the Services, data about how you interact with our Services, and other clickstream data.
- Customer Information. Information you provide to a Seller using our Services, for example if you are a customer who provides a Seller with your email address, phone number, payment information, or other information.
Information We Collect From Other Sources
We also need to check that you are using our services legally, that you are eligible for the services you want to use, and we protect your data and our services from fraudsters who may put you and your money at risk. To do this, we may collect data about you from companies that help us verify your identity, do a credit check, prevent fraud or assess risk.
We also collect information about you from third parties, including:
- Identity Verification. Information from third parties and publicly available sources.
- Credit, Compliance and Fraud. Information about you from third parties in connection with any credit investigation, credit eligibility, identity or account verification process, fraud detection process, or collection procedure, or as may otherwise be required by applicable law. This includes, without limitation, the receipt and exchange of account or credit-related information with any credit reporting agency or credit bureau, where lawful, and any person or corporation with whom you have had, currently have, or may have a financial relationship, including without limitation past, present, and future places of employment, financial institutions, and personal reporting agencies.
If you are a kid under 13, please don’t use our services. If we collect your data and later learn you are a kid under 13, we will delete it.
Our Services are general audience services not directed at children under the age of 13. If we obtain actual knowledge that any information we collect has been provided by a child under the age of 13, we will promptly delete that information.
HOW WE USE YOUR INFORMATION
We use your data to do things like process your payments, send you information about your transaction, figure out if our services work in your country, secure your data, fight fraud, follow the law, enforce our agreements, figure out what new products we can build, and help your seller market to you.
We may use information about you for a number of purposes, including:
Providing, Improving, and Developing our Services
- Determining whether the Services are available in your country;
- Processing or recording payment transactions or money transfers;
- Otherwise providing you with the Square products and features you choose to use;
- Displaying your historical transaction or appointment information;
- Providing, maintaining, and improving our Services;
- Developing new products and Services;
- Delivering the information and support you request, including digital receipts, invoices, and scheduling information;
- Improving, personalizing, and facilitating your use of our Services;
- Measuring, tracking, and analyzing trends and usage in connection with your use or the performance of our Services.
Communicating with You About our Services
- Sending you information we think you may find useful or which you have requested from us about our products and services;
- Conducting surveys and collecting feedback about our Services.
Protecting our Services and Maintaining a Trusted Environment
- Investigating, detecting, preventing, or reporting fraud, misrepresentations, security breaches or incidents, or other potentially prohibited or illegal activities;
- Protecting our, our Sellers’, or your rights or property, or the security or integrity of our Services;
- Enforcing our Terms of Service or other applicable agreements or policies;
- Verifying your identity;
- Complying with any applicable laws or regulations, or in response to lawful requests for information from the government or through legal process;
- Fulfilling any other purpose disclosed to you in connection with our Services;
- Contacting you to resolve disputes and provide assistance with our Services.
Advertising and Marketing
- Marketing of our Services;
- Communicating with you about opportunities, products, services, contests, promotions, discounts, incentives, surveys, and rewards offered by us and select partners;
- If we send you marketing emails, each email will contain instructions permitting you to “opt out” of receiving future marketing or other communications.
To learn about your choices regarding interest-based advertising and cross-device tracking, please see below.
- If you provide a Square Seller with your contact information to receive receipts via email or text message, we and that Seller may store the email address or phone number you provide. We use your email address or phone number to send you a receipt for your purchase, to send you promotional messages from Sellers you have visited (subject to our legal obligations and your communication preferences), to automatically send you digital receipts for future purchases you make from other Sellers, and to allow Sellers you have visited to send you messages via Square. Digital receipts may contain additional messages, offers, or links that may be of interest to you. For example, you may be able to submit feedback to a Seller, share your experience on social media, view your purchase history, join programs, visit websites, or take advantage of promotions. When you submit or share information through a receipt (such as submitting feedback), we may share that information with Sellers and you may receive responses. This notice does not describe the practices of Sellers that may receive or collect information from you. We encourage you to ask them about their privacy practices before providing any information to them.
If you wish to opt out of receiving automatic digital receipts or change your preferences, please see below.
- For any other purpose disclosed to you in connection with our Services from time to time.
HOW WE SHARE YOUR INFORMATION
We share your information with others in the circumstances described in this section. For example, with other people with whom you interact when you use our services; within our family of companies (like Cash App and Weebly), who may offer services that we think could be useful to you; with service providers and vendors who help us run our services; or if we need to share your information to comply with the law.
We may share information about you as follows:
With Other Users of our Services with Whom You Interact
- With other users of our Services with whom you interact through your own use of our Services. For example, we may share information when you make a payment or appointment with a Square Seller.
With our Affiliates
- With our group companies and corporate affiliates, for the purposes outlined above.
With Third Parties
- With third parties to provide, maintain, and improve our Services, including service providers who access information about you to perform services on our behalf (e.g., fraud prevention, identity verification, and fee collection services), as well as financial institutions, payment networks, payment card associations, credit bureaus, and other entities in connection with the Services;
- With third parties that run advertising campaigns, contests, special offers, or other events or activities on our behalf or in connection with our Services.
Business Transfers and Corporate Changes
- To a subsequent owner, co-owner, or operator of one or more of the Services; or
- In connection with (including, without limitation, during the negotiation or due diligence process of) a corporate merger, consolidation, or restructuring; the sale of substantially all of our stock and/or assets; financing, acquisition, divestiture, or dissolution of all or a portion of our business; or other corporate change.
Safety and Compliance with Law
- If we believe that disclosure is reasonably necessary (i) to comply with any applicable law, regulation, legal process or governmental request (e.g., from tax authorities, law enforcement agencies, etc.); (ii) to enforce or comply with our General Terms or other applicable agreements or policies; (iii) to protect our or our customers’ rights or property, or the security or integrity of our Services; or (iv) to protect us, users of our Services, or the public from harm, fraud, or potentially prohibited or illegal activities.
With Your Consent
- With your consent. For example:
- At your direction or as described at the time you agree to share;
- When you authorize a third party application or website to access your information.
Aggregated and Anonymized Information
- We also may share (within our group of companies or with third parties) aggregated and anonymized information that does not specifically identify you or any individual user of our Services.
HOW LONG WE RETAIN YOUR INFORMATION
We keep your information as long as you keep using our products and services. After that, we keep it for as long as we need it to do things like fight fraud, collect fees you owe, resolve disputes with (or involving) you, follow the law, enforce our agreements and defend our rights in court.
We generally retain your information as long as reasonably necessary to provide you the Services or to comply with applicable law. However, we can retain copies of information about you and any transactions or Services in which you may have participated for a period of time that is consistent with applicable law, applicable statute of limitations, or as we believe is reasonably necessary to comply with applicable law, regulation, legal process, or governmental request, to detect or prevent fraud, to collect fees owed, to resolve disputes, to address problems with our Services, to assist with investigations, to enforce our General Terms or other applicable agreements or policies, or to take any other actions consistent with applicable law.
COOKIES AND OTHER SIMILAR TECHNOLOGIES
Digital cookies and similar technologies help us make our services better to use by doing things like analyzing how you use our services so we can make them more useful to you, giving you a more personalized experience, and making ads to you work better.
We use various technologies to collect information when you access or use our Services, including placing a piece of code, commonly referred to as a “cookie,” or similar technology on your device and using web beacons. Cookies are small data files that are stored on your hard drive or in your device memory when you visit a website or view a message. Among other things, cookies support the integrity of our registration process, retain your preferences and account settings, and help evaluate and compile aggregated statistics about user activity. We may begin collecting information about you or from activity on devices you use as soon as you use our Services. By using our Services, you permit us to collect and use your information from activity on devices you use in accordance with this Privacy Notice. For more information and to learn how to block or delete cookies used in the Services, please see below.
Certain cookies we use last only for the duration of your web or application session and expire when you close your browser or exit the application. Other cookies are used to remember you when you return to use the Services and, as such, will last longer.
- Remember that you have visited us or used the Services before. This allows us to identify the number of unique visitors we receive, so that we can provide enough capacity to accommodate all of our users.
- Customize elements of the promotional layout and/or content of our Services.
- Collect data about the way you interact with our Services (e.g., when you use certain features).
- Allow our business partners (including third parties) to use these tracking technologies to track your behavior on our behalf on our Platform (including when you use multiple devices) and on partner websites.
- Collect anonymous statistical information about how you use the Services (including the length of your web or application session) and the location from which you access the Services, so that we can improve the Services and learn which elements and functions of the Services are most popular with our users.
Some of the cookies used in the Services are set by us, and others are set by third parties who deliver services on our behalf.
Most web and mobile device browsers are set to automatically accept cookies by default. However, you can change your browser settings to prevent automatic acceptance of cookies, or to notify you each time a cookie is set.
You also can learn more about cookies by visiting http://www.allaboutcookies.org, which includes additional useful information on cookies and how to block cookies on different types of browsers and mobile devices. Please note, however, that by blocking or deleting cookies used in the Services, you may not be able to take full advantage of the Services.
We also may collect information using web beacons. Web beacons are electronic images that may be used in our Services or emails. We use web beacons to deliver cookies, track the number of visits to our website and apps, understand usage and campaign effectiveness, and determine whether an email has been opened and acted upon.
THIRD-PARTY ADVERTISING AND ANALYTICS
We use other companies as service providers to help us analyze our site, track metrics, and advertise to you. These service providers promised us under contract to keep data private but have their own privacy policies you should be aware of.
This Privacy Notice does not apply to, and we are not responsible for, third-party cookies, web beacons, or other tracking technologies, which are covered by such third parties’ privacy policies. For more information, we encourage you to check the privacy policies of these third parties to learn about their privacy practices. For more information about targeted advertising specifically, please visit http://www.aboutads.info/choices.
Examples of our third-party service providers to help deliver our Services or to connect to our Services include:
Google Analytics: We use Google Analytics to understand how our Services perform and how you use them. To learn more about how Google processes your data, please visit https://www.google.com/policies/privacy/. To opt out of Google Analytics please visit https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout.
Facebook: We use Facebook to advertise and market our services, and to enable our customers to market their services. To learn more about how Facebook uses your data please visit https://www.facebook.com/help/325807937506242/ or log on to your Facebook account and access your settings. To understand more about Facebook advertising please see here https://www.facebook.com/about/ads.
BugSnag and Crashlytics: We use Bugsnag and Crashlytics monitoring apps to monitor errors that impact customers and report diagnostic data to us so we can improve our Service and help to make sure they work when you need to use them. Please visit https://docs.bugsnag.com/legal/privacy-policy/ to learn more about how Bugsnag processes your data and https://fabric.io/terms to learn more about how Crashlytics processes your data.
You may access, change, or correct information that you have provided by making a request to us using the contact details below, in which case we may need to verify your identity before granting access or otherwise changing or correcting your information.
Do Not Track
Do Not Track (“DNT”) is an optional browser setting that allows you to express your preferences regarding tracking across websites. Square does not have a mechanism in place to respond to DNT signals. Square does track some activity across websites (including your search terms, the website you visited before you visited or used the Services, and other clickstream data) and we may continue to collect information in the manner described in this Privacy Notice from web browsers that have enabled DNT signals or similar mechanisms.
You may opt out of receiving promotional messages from Square or Square Sellers, if those messages, are powered by Square, by following the instructions in those messages, by informing the caller that you would not like to receive future promotional calls, or by changing your notification settings by logging into your Square account. You may only opt-out of text messages from Square by replying STOP. Opting out of receiving communications may impact your use of the Services. If you decide to opt out, we can still send you non-promotional communications, such as digital receipts that you request.
California Privacy Rights
California law permits residents of California to request certain details about our disclosure of your personal information by us to third parties for direct marketing purposes during the immediately preceding calendar year. If you are a California resident and would like to request this information, please contact us at the address listed below.
We do a lot to keep your data safe. While we think we have strong defenses in place, no one can ever guarantee that hackers won’t be able to break into our sites or steal your data while it is flowing from you to us or vice versa.
We take reasonable measures, including administrative, technical, and physical safeguards, to protect your information from loss, theft, misuse, and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, and destruction. Nevertheless, the internet is not a 100% secure environment, and we cannot guarantee absolute security of the transmission or storage of your information. We hold information about you both at our own premises and with the assistance of third-party service providers.
For more information about our security practices, please visit https://squareup.com/security.
STORAGE AND PROCESSING
We operate in many countries, and we (or our service providers) may move your data and process it outside the country where you live.
We may, and we may use third-party service providers to, process and store your information in the United States, Canada, Japan, the European Union and other countries.
CHANGES TO THIS PRIVACY NOTICE
We can change this privacy notice. If you disagree with the changes, you can stop using our services.
We may amend this Privacy Notice from time to time by posting a revised version and updating the “Effective Date” above. The revised version will be effective on the “Effective Date” listed. If you disagree with these changes, you may stop using our Services at any time. Your continued use of our Services constitutes your consent to any amendment of this Privacy Notice.
You can contact our privacy team with any questions or concerns at the address below.
Please contact our Privacy Department with any questions or concerns regarding this Privacy Notice.
Square, Inc. 1455 Market Street, Suite 600 San Francisco, CA 94103, U.S.A.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding our notice, or if you believe our notice or applicable laws relating to the protection of your personal information have not been respected, you may file a complaint with our Privacy Department listed above, and we will respond to let you know who will be handling your matter and when you can expect a further response. We may request additional details from you regarding your concerns and may need to engage or consult with other parties in order to investigate and address your issue. We may keep records of your request and any resolution.