Privacy Notice for Users Who Do Not Apply or Sign Up for a Square Account or Other Services
For users who apply or sign up for a Square Account, click here.
Last updated: 10 December 2021
Scope and Consent
Collection of Information
Without information about you, we may not be able to provide you with the Services or the digital receipts described below.
Our Services can be used by a broad range of industries in connection with their products, services, activities and administrative functions, whether they are involved in government, retail, health, politics, human resources, technology or anything else. Accordingly, a broad range of information may be uploaded to or sent through our Services.
Information You Provide.
We collect information you upload or send to or through our Services, including information you provide when you request delivery of a digital receipt or schedule an appointment. We also collect information you provide when you participate in contests or promotions offered by Square or our partners, respond to our surveys or otherwise communicate with us.
Information We Collect from Your Use of our Services.
We collect information about you when you use our Services, including the following:
- Transaction Information. When you use our Services to make payments or to request delivery of digital receipts, we collect information about when and where the transactions occur, the names of the transacting parties, a description of the transactions, the payment amounts and the devices and payment methods used to complete the transactions.
- Use Information. We collect information about how you use our Services, including your access time, browser type and language and Internet Protocol (‘IP’) address.
- Information Collected by Cookies and Web Beacons. We use various technologies to collect information when you use our Services, including sending cookies to your computer or mobile device and using web beacons. Cookies are small data files that are stored on your hard drive or in device memory when you visit a website or view a message. Among other things, cookies support the integrity of our registration process, retain your preferences and account settings, and help evaluate and compile aggregated statistics about user activity. For more information and to learn how to block or delete cookies used in the Services, please see ‘Your Choices’ below. We also may collect information using web beacons. Web beacons are electronic images that may be used in our Services or emails. We may use web beacons to deliver cookies, count visits, understand usage and campaign effectiveness and determine whether an email has been opened and acted upon.
Information We Collect from Other Sources.
We also may collect information about you from third parties, including mailing list providers and publicly available sources. By using our Services, you authorise and consent to our obtaining from, and disclosing to, third parties, from time to time, any information about you as necessary in connection with the processing of any fraud detection procedure, or as may otherwise be required by applicable law.
Third-Party Advertising and Analytics
Use of Information
We may use information about you to provide, maintain and improve our Services, such as:
- Processing payment transactions;
- Displaying historical transaction or appointment information to our Sellers; and
- Delivering the information and support you request, including digital receipts and scheduling information.
We may use information about you to send news and information, or to conduct surveys and collect feedback, about our Services and to communicate with you about products, services, contests, promotions, discounts, incentives and rewards offered by us and select partners, based on your communication preferences and applicable law. We also may contact you to resolve disputes, collect fees and provide assistance for problems with our Services.
We may use information about you:
- To protect our rights or property, or the security or integrity of our Services;
- To investigate, detect and prevent fraud, security breaches, and other potentially prohibited or illegal activities;
- To comply with any applicable law, regulation, legal process or governmental request;
- For any other purpose disclosed to you in connection with our Services.
We may, and we may use third-party service providers to, process and store your information in the United States and other countries.
If you choose to receive receipts via email or text message, we store the email address or phone number you provide. We use your email address or phone number to send you a receipt for your purchase, to send you promotional messages from Sellers you have visited (subject to our legal obligations and your communication preferences) and to automatically send you digital receipts for future purchases you make from other Sellers. Digital receipts may contain additional messages, offers, or links that may be of interest to you. For example, you may be able to submit feedback to a Seller, share your experience on social media, view your purchase history, join programs, visit websites or take advantage of promotions. When you submit or share information through a receipt (such as submitting feedback), we may share that information with Sellers and you may receive responses. As mentioned above, this policy does not describe the practices of Sellers that may receive or collect information from you. We encourage you to ask them about their privacy practices before providing any information to them. If at any time you wish to opt out of receiving automatic digital receipts or change your preferences, you may do so by following the instructions in the ‘Your Choices’ section below.
Sharing of Information
We may share information about you as follows:
- With our group companies, including our parent company, Block, Inc., for the purposes outlined above;
- With third parties to provide, maintain and improve our Services, including service providers who access information about you to perform services on our behalf (e.g., fraud prevention, identity verification and fee collection services), as well as financial institutions, payment networks, payment card associations and other entities that are part of the payment process;
- With users of our Services who have signed up for Square accounts. For example, we may share information about you when you make a payment or appointment using our Services;
- With third parties that run advertising campaigns, contests, special offers or other events or activities in connection with our Services;
- If we believe that disclosure is reasonably necessary (i) to comply with any applicable law, regulation, legal process or governmental request (e.g., with tax authorities), (ii) to protect our rights or property, or the security or integrity of our Services, or (iii) to protect us, users of our Services or the public from harm or potentially prohibited or illegal activities; or
- With your consent.
We also may share aggregated information with third parties that does not specifically identify you or any individual user of our Services.
You may access, change or correct information about you by making a request to us using the contact details below, in which case we may need to verify your identity before granting access or otherwise changing or correcting your information. We will provide you with our reasons if we are unable to grant any such request for access to or change or correction of your information.
We try to make your experience with Square simple and meaningful. When you access or use the Services, our web server may send a cookie to your computer or mobile device (as the case may be). Certain cookies we use last only for the duration of your web or application session and expire when you close your browser or exit the application. Other cookies are used to remember you when you return to use the Services and, as such, will last longer.
- Remember that you have visited us or used the Services before. This means we can identify the number of unique visitors we receive, which allows us to make sure we have enough capacity to accommodate all of our users.
- Customise elements of the promotional layout any/or content of our website or application.
- Collect anonymous statistical information about how you use the Services (including the length of your web or application session) and the location from which you access the Services, so that we can improve the Services and learn which elements and functions of the Services are most popular with our users.
Some of the cookies used in the Services are set by us, and others are set by third parties who deliver services on our behalf.
Most web and mobile device browsers are set to automatically accept cookies by default. However, you can change your browser settings to prevent automatic acceptance of cookies, or to notify you each time a cookie is set. You also can learn more about cookies by visiting www.allaboutcookies.org, which includes additional useful information on cookies and how to block cookies on different types of browsers and mobile devices. Please note, however, that by blocking or deleting cookies used in the Services, you may not be able to take full advantage of the Services.
You may opt out of receiving promotional messages by following the instructions in those messages or by making a request to us using the contact details below. If you decide to opt out, we may still send you non-promotional communications, such as digital receipts you request.
We take reasonable measures, including administrative, technical and physical safeguards, to protect your information from loss, theft, misuse and unauthorised access, disclosure, alteration and destruction. We hold information about you at our own premises and with the assistance of third-party service providers.
Phone: 1800 760 137
If you raise any concerns, we will respond to let you know who will be handling your matter and when you can expect a further response. We may request additional details from you regarding your concerns and may need to engage or consult with other parties in order to investigate and address your issue. We will keep records of your request and any resolution.
If you are dissatisfied with the results of our investigation or any resulting corrective measures, you may be entitled to make a written submission to the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner, whose contact details are as follows:
Office of the Australian Information Commissioner (OAIC)
Phone: 1300 363 992
Email: [email protected]
Address: GPO Box 5218 Sydney NSW 2001