Privacy Notice for Users Who Apply or Sign Up for a Square Account or Other Services
For users who DO NOT apply or sign up for a Square Account, click here.
Last updated: 14 May 2020
- applies or signs up for a Square account;
- accesses or uses in any manner any Square application, product, service, feature, technology, content or website (collectively, ‘Services’); or
- otherwise contacts or interacts with us.
Scope and Consent
Collection of Information
Without information about you, we may not be able to provide you with the Services or the support you request.
Our Services can be used by a broad range of industries in connection with their products, services, activities and administrative functions, whether they are involved in government, retail, health, politics, human resources, technology or anything else. Accordingly, a broad range of information may be uploaded to or sent through our Services.
Information You Provide.
We collect information you provide when you apply or sign up for a Square account and when you provide information about yourself and individuals associated with your business as part of our identity verification process. We may collect, without limitation, the following information about you and individuals associated with your business:
- Identification information, such as your name, email address, mailing address, phone number, photograph, birthdate and passport, driver’s licence, Medicare or other government-issued identification number];
- Financial information, including bank account and payment card numbers;
- Tax information, including withholding allowances and tax filing status; and
- Other historical, contact and demographic information.
We also collect information you upload to or send through our Services, including:
- Information about products and services you may sell (including inventory, pricing and other data);
- Information you may provide about you or your business (including appointment, staffing, employee, payroll and third party contact data); and
- Information you may provide to a Seller using our Services (including hours worked and other timecard data).
Some of the information we collect is collected pursuant to applicable laws and regulations, including anti-money laundering laws (e.g., the Anti-Money Laundering and Counter-Terrorism Financing Act).
We collect information you provide when you participate in contests or promotions offered by Square or our partners, respond to our surveys or otherwise communicate with us.
Information We Collect from Your Use of our Services.
We collect information about you when you use our Services, including the following:
- Transaction Information. When you use our Services to make, accept or request payments, we collect information about when and where the transactions occur, the names of the transacting parties, a description of the transactions, the payment amounts, billing and shipping information and the devices and payment methods used to complete the transactions.
- Location Information. When one of our applications is open on your mobile device, we periodically collect information about the location of the device. For more information and to learn how to disable collection of location information, please see ‘Your Choices’ below.
- Device Information. We collect specific information about your device when you access our Services, including your hardware model, operating system and version, unique device identifier, mobile network information and information about the device’s interaction with our Services. We may also identify other software running on the device for anti-fraud and malware-prevention purposes (but will not collect any content from such software).
- Use Information. We collect information about how you use our Services, including your access time, browser type and language and Internet Protocol (‘IP’) address.
- Information Collected by Cookies and Web Beacons. We use various technologies to collect information when you use our Services, including sending cookies to your computer or mobile device and using web beacons. Cookies are small data files that are stored on your hard drive or in device memory when you visit a website or view a message. Among other things, cookies support the integrity of our registration process, retain your preferences and account settings and help evaluate and compile aggregated statistics about user activity. For more information and to learn how to block or delete cookies used in the Services, please see ‘Your Choices’ below. We also may collect information using web beacons. Web beacons are electronic images that may be used in our Services or emails. We may use web beacons to deliver cookies, track the number of visits to our website, understand usage and campaign effectiveness and determine whether an email has been opened and acted upon.
Information We Collect from Other Sources.
As authorised under the Australian Anti-Money Laundering and Counter-Terrorism Financing Act, we also may collect information about you and individuals associated with your business from third parties, including third-party verification services, credit bureaus, mailing list providers and publicly available sources. In some circumstances, where lawful, this information may include your government-issued identification number. By applying or signing up for a Square account, you authorise and consent to our obtaining from and disclosing to, third parties, from time to time, any information about you and individuals associated with your business as necessary in connection with the processing of any credit investigation, identity verification, fraud detection or collection procedure or as may otherwise be required by applicable law. This includes, without limitation, the receipt and exchange of credit-related information with any credit reporting agency or credit bureau, where lawful and any person or corporation with whom you have had, currently have or may have financial relations, including without limitation past, present and future places of employment and personal reporting agencies.
Third-Party Advertising and Analytics
Use of Information
We may use information about you to provide, maintain and improve our Services, such as:
- Processing payment transactions;
- Displaying historical transaction or appointment information;
- Developing new products and Services; and
- Delivering the information and support you request, including technical notices, security alerts and support and administrative messages.
We may use information about you to improve, personalise and facilitate your use of our Services. To take just one example, when you sign up for a Square account, we may associate certain information with your new account, such as information about other accounts you have had or currently have with Square, and prior transactions you have made using our Services. We also may use information about you to measure, customise and enhance our Services, including the design, content and functionality of our applications and websites, or to track and analyze trends and usage in connection with our Services.
We may use information about you to send news and information, or to conduct surveys and collect feedback, about our Services and to communicate with you about products, services, contests, promotions, discounts, incentives and rewards offered by us and select partners, based on your communication preferences and applicable law. We also may contact you to resolve disputes, collect fees and provide assistance for problems with our Services or your Square account.
We may use information about you:
- To protect our rights or property, or the security or integrity of our Services;
- To enforce the our Terms of Service or other applicable agreements or policies;
- To verify your identity as required by the Anti-Money Laundering and Counter-Terrorism Financing Act 2006 (e.g., some of the government-issued identification numbers we collect are used for this purpose);
- To investigate, detect and prevent fraud, security breaches and other potentially prohibited or illegal activities;
- To comply with any applicable law, regulation, legal process or governmental request;
- For any other purpose disclosed to you in connection with our Services.
If you so choose, we may verify your identity by disclosing your name, residential address and date of birth to a credit reporting body. The credit reporting body will match this information against your credit information file and will provide us with an assessment of the matching process. We use this assessment only for the purpose of verifying your identity in compliance with our obligations under the Anti-Money Laundering and Counter-Terrorism Financing Act 2006. Alternatively, you may choose not to have your identity verified against your credit information file. In that case, the credit reporting body will access other government sources to verify your identity, although your likelihood of successful identity verification may decrease as a result.
We may and we may use third-party service providers to, process and store your information in the United States, Japan and other countries.
Sharing of Information
We may share information about you as follows:
- With our group companies, including our parent company, Square, Inc., for the purposes outlined above;
- With third parties to provide, maintain and improve our Services, including service providers who access information about you to perform services on our behalf (e.g., fraud prevention, identity verification and fee collection services), as well as financial institutions, payment networks, payment card associations and other entities that are part of the payment process;
- With users of our Services who have signed up for Square accounts. For example, we may share information when you make or accept a payment using our Services;
- With third parties that run advertising campaigns, contests, special offers or other events or activities in connection with our Services;
- In connection with, or during the negotiation of, any merger, sale of company stock or assets, financing, acquisition, divestiture or dissolution of all or a portion of our business;
- If we believe that disclosure is reasonably necessary (i) to comply with any applicable law (e.g., transaction reporting under the Tax and Superannuation Laws Amendment (2015 Measures No.5) Bill 2015), regulation, legal process or governmental request (e.g., from tax authorities), (ii) to enforce our Terms of Service or other applicable agreements or policies, (iii) to protect our rights or property, or the security or integrity of our Services, or (iv) to protect us, users of our Services or the public from harm or potentially prohibited or illegal activities;
- With your consent; or
We also may share aggregated information with third parties that does not specifically identify you or any individual user of our Services.
You may access, change or correct information about you by logging into your Square account at any time or by making a request to us using the contact details below, in which case we may need to verify your identity before granting access or otherwise changing or correcting your information. We will provide you with our reasons if we are unable to grant any such request for access to or change or correction of your information.
Deactivating Your Account
If you wish to deactivate your Square account, you may do so by logging into your Square account or by emailing us using the contact details provided below. However, even after you deactivate your Square account, we may retain archived copies of information about you and any transactions or Services in which you may have participated for a period of time that is consistent with applicable law, or as we believe is reasonably necessary to comply with applicable law, regulation, legal process or governmental request, to prevent fraud, to collect fees owed, to resolve disputes, to address problems with our Services, to assist with investigations, to enforce our Terms of Service or other applicable agreements or policies, or to take any other actions consistent with applicable law.
When you first launch any of our mobile applications, you will be asked to consent to the application’s collection of location information. We currently require this location information in order to provide our mobile applications, so if you do not consent to collection of this information, then you cannot use our corresponding Services. If you initially consent to our collection of location information through a mobile application, you can subsequently stop our collection of location information at any time by changing the preferences on your mobile device. If you do so, our mobile application will no longer function. You also may stop our collection of location information via mobile application by following the standard uninstall process to remove all Square mobile applications from your device.
We try to make your experience with Square simple and meaningful. When you access or use the Services, our web server may send a cookie to your computer or mobile device (as the case may be). Certain cookies we use last only for the duration of your web or application session and expire when you close your browser or exit the application. Other cookies are used to remember you when you return to use the Services and, as such, will last longer.
- Remember that you have visited us or used the Services before. This means we can identify the number of unique visitors we receive, which allows us to make sure we have enough capacity to accommodate all of our users.
- Customise elements of the promotional layout any/or content of our website or application.
- Collect anonymous statistical information about how you use the Services (including the length of your web or application session) and the location from which you access the Services, so that we can improve the Services and learn which elements and functions of the Services are most popular with our users.
Some of the cookies used in the Services are set by us, and others are set by third parties who deliver services on our behalf.
Most web and mobile device browsers are set to automatically accept cookies by default. However, you can change your browser settings to prevent automatic acceptance of cookies, or to notify you each time a cookie is set. You also can learn more about cookies by visiting www.allaboutcookies.org, which includes additional useful information on cookies and how to block cookies on different types of browsers and mobile devices. Please note, however, that by blocking or deleting cookies used in the Services, you may not be able to take full advantage of the Services.
You may opt out of receiving promotional messages from Square by following the instructions in those messages, or by changing your notification setting by logging into your Square account. If you decide to opt out, we may still send you non-promotional communications, such as digital receipts and messages about your account or our ongoing business relations.