All-in-one restaurant POS system
Our restaurant point-of-sale system powers your speed and flexibility – whatever you’re serving.
Built to work together
Square for Restaurants is a platform of products that work together to help you save time, run your business and connect with customers.
Our restaurant POS system is built for speed. From menu management to coursing, every tool helps your team move faster.
- Optimise floor plans to turn more tables.
- Use conversational modifiers to speed up ordering.
- Repeat a round of drinks in a few taps.
A kitchen display system that keeps your whole restaurant in sync.
- Handle the rush and reduce costs with digital tickets.
- Manage all your orders from one screen.
- Get food prepared and packaged just right.
Take orders on your restaurant website for no monthly fees or commissions. Set up delivery and curbside pickup.
- Easily import menu items for online sales.
- Orders are synced with your point of sale.
- Supports Instagram and Facebook ad integration.
Get orders via Doshii and Deliverect straight to your POS. Consolidate online order reporting.
- Receive all online orders on one tablet.
- Skip manual order entry to reduce errors.
- Automatically print kitchen tickets.
Third-party partner integration
Sync your system with restaurant management software including QuickBooks and MarketMan. Explore contactless solutions for food and beverage.
Payment processing your way. Accept all types of payments quickly and securely, whether you’re tableside, behind the counter, online or on the go.
- Next-day transfers, same rate across cards.
- No chargeback fees.
- End-to-end encryption, PCI compliant.
Shop restaurant-grade stations, Square Register, Square Terminal, kits, cash drawers, receipt printers, accessories and more. Restaurant POS systems designed for speed and durability.
Setup and support
Square for Restaurants is simple to use from day one. But if you need help, we offer one-on-one implementation services and 24/7 customer support for sellers on our Plus/Premium plans and M–F, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. (Melbourne time) customer support for sellers on our Free plan.
Manage your chefs, waiting staff, bartenders and everyone else, while saving on labour costs.
- Let your team clock in and out at your POS.
- Track team hours, overtime and breaks.
- View sales by team member.
- Grant employees permission to issue refunds or discounts.
More tools to help you succeed
Your Square account unlocks a powerful platform of services and add-on tools that work together. Just a couple:
Get started for free
Fast setup. No long-term contract. Cancel anytime.
- Is Square for Restaurants right for my business?
Square for Restaurants is built to work with single and multi-location full-service restaurants, quick-service restaurants, fast-casual restaurants, bars and lounges. If you use Lightspeed, Sapaad, Lavu or Openbravo, Square for Restaurants can likely fit your needs at a lower cost. We now offer a free version of Square for Restaurants, as well as two paid plans – Plus and Premium.
- How much does Square for Restaurants cost?
We have three pricing plans.
Our Free plan covers basic day-to-day service. You can add Square KDS to your Free plan for just $25 per month per device.
- For more complex needs, subscribe to our Plus plan.
- You can use Square for Restaurants on one countertop POS device for $129 per month, per location.
- Your Plus plan also enables you to use unlimited Square KDS devices at no additional software cost.
- If you process more than $250,000 per year, contact our Sales team to get custom pricing and hardware discounts with our Premium plan.
All Square for Restaurants plans have a processing rate of 1.6% per tap or insert on Square Terminal and Square Register, and 1.9% per tap or insert on Square Reader/Stand. Plus and Premium plans come with a free 30-day trial. You can upgrade, downgrade or terminate your plan whenever you need. Square for Restaurants plans do not include hardware – you may use existing compatible devices or purchase new hardware from Square Shop; instalment plans available.
For more details on our plans, visit our pricing page.
- What’s included in each of the three pricing plans?
All three Square for Restaurants plans include Fast Order Entry, Menu Manager, Order Manager, Table Management, Open Bills, Auto Gratuity, Remote Device Management, Multi-Location Management, the Square Team Management free plan and Mon – Fri, 9:00 am – 5:00 pm support (Melbourne time).
With the Plus plan, you get access to premium features, including Close of Day Reports, Auto 86ing, Item Counts, Shared Device Settings, Advanced Reporting, Live Sales Reports, Square Team Plus. With Plus, you can also use unlimited Square KDS devices at no cost. Finally, your Plus plan also comes with 24/7 phone support for the moments that matter.
Premium subscribers get everything listed, above as well as custom pricing for additional Square tools, such as Square Loyalty and Square Online. Eligibility applies. Contact Sales to learn more.
To see a complete list of features for each plan, visit our pricing page.
- Is hardware included?
Hardware is not included with your Square for Restaurants subscription. You can shop for compatible kits and devices at the Square Shop to find hardware that suits your needs. Contact our sales team for hardware discount offers (eligibility applies). Square for Restaurants is compatible with iPad and industry kitchen printers, receipt printers, cash drawers and routers, so you may be able to use your existing hardware.
- Is the hardware bought or leased?
All hardware, whether purchased as a one-time cost or financed, is bought. It’s 100% yours once you’ve completed payments.
- How do I set up with Square for Restaurants?
You can sign up for the free version of Square for Restaurants or start a free 30-day trial of Square for Restaurants Plus here. Please note: You’ll need to use a computer to sign up. Setup is simple, and you can self-onboard with the Free and Plus plans. But if you need help, we offer one-on-one implementation services and 24/7 customer support. To discuss a custom Premium plan, contact our Sales team.
- Is Square Register compatible with Square for Restaurants?
Square Register is compatible with the Square for Restaurants Free, Plus, and Premium plans.
- How do I set up Square for Restaurants on Square Register?
Setup on Register is simple, and this support article explains everything you need to know. Note that you’ll need to update your software to the latest version (details on that here) and create a device code on your Square Dashboard before signing in and following the onscreen instructions.
- How do I switch from Square Point of Sale to a Restaurants plan?
You can switch from Square Point of Sale to the Free or Plus Square for Restaurants plans by subscribing here. You’ll be able to utilise your existing features and setup. The only new setup will be for added functionality that’s included with your Restaurants plan.
- How do I upgrade or downgrade my Square for Restaurants plan?
You can upgrade from the Free restaurants plan to the Plus plan by subscribing to it here. You’ll be able to utilise all existing features and setup. The only new setup will be for the added functionality that’s included with your upgrade. After your 30-day free trial, you’ll be charged $129 per month per location. If you choose not to subscribe, you’ll be downgraded to the Free Restaurants plan, and you can continue to use the Restaurants POS system or choose to use Square Point of Sale.
You’ll have the option to keep your Team Plus subscription. (If you cancel it, you’ll still be able to utilise the Team Management free plan features.) You’ll see messaging in your Dashboard letting you know which features you’ll lose with the downgrade. You can see and compare plan features on our pricing page.
To upgrade to the custom Premium plan, contact our Sales team.
- What is Square for Restaurants mobile POS?
Square for Restaurants mobile POS enables you to take orders and payments tableside or in-queue on a handheld device. Square for Restaurants mobile POS is available only to Plus or Premium plan subscribers.
- Which devices can I use to run Square for Restaurants mobile POS?
If you want to take orders and payments tableside or in-queue with Square for Restaurants mobile POS, you have two device options:
- Square Terminal, a portable, all-in-one device with a built-in receipt printer. If you already have a Square Terminal and want to start taking tableside orders and payments with Square for Restaurants mobile POS, learn how to get it set up.
- Mobile POS kit, with a custom L7 Case and Square Reader for contactless and chip + PIN cards.
You can mix and match devices based on your needs. You’ll still need to have at least one countertop device enabled to execute closing procedures, monitor live sales and perform certain bill actions (e.g. bulk actions, split bills and merge bills). We plan to add some of this functionality to Square for Restaurants mobile POS in the near future.
- Is Square Terminal compatible with Square for Restaurants?
Square Terminal is compatible with Square for Restaurants. You can use Square for Restaurants mobile POS on one or more Square Terminal devices to take orders and payments tableside or in-queue. Square for Restaurants mobile POS is available only to subscribers on a Plus or Premium plan.
- How do I set up Square for Restaurants on Square Terminal?
Setup on Square Terminal is simple, and this support article explains everything you need to know. First, you’ll need to update your software to the latest version (details on that here) and create a Square for Restaurants mobile POS device code on your Square Dashboard. Then, sign in and follow the on-screen instructions.