Please note that regulations and rules related to COVID-19 and reopening change daily. The information in this article is current as of the publication date only. Please check local, state, and federal regulations for the most current information about COVID-19 and your business.
With continued COVID-19 cases in the U.S., some business owners are revisiting how they’re operating and where to go next.
While many aspects of business have experienced a complete metamorphosis since the previous year, there are also familiar issues at play once again. Supply chain bottlenecks are leading to rising prices and shortages, making inventory planning and cash flow management a necessity. Updated mask guidelines from the CDC are leading to new customer expectations, complicated by challenges with hiring and retaining employees in some industries.
The pandemic has also sparked fresh opportunities for businesses to meet these new operational, employee, and consumer needs. Remote and hybrid work is redefining the workplace, highlighting the importance of employee training and investing in the team’s wellbeing. More people are making online purchases, providing a chance for businesses to try omnichannel strategies that give customers more of what they need, wherever that may be.
These new situations call for new solutions. We’ve curated an updated list of COVID-19 business resources to help guide you during this in-between stage of pandemic and post-pandemic life. Save this page to your browser so you can get the most up-to-date information for your employees, customers, and your business.
How to Manage Your Food & Beverage Business During the Pandemic
From food trucks to Michelin-star restaurants, here’s how to adapt your model and best serve your communities and employees.
How to Manage Your Service Business During the Pandemic
Your business revolves around relationships. Here are steps you can take to continue working with your customers.
Table of contents
- Streamline business operations
- Manage cash flow during COVID-19
- Try new eCommerce solutions
- Maintain customer relationships
- Hire and manage your team
- Build resilience as a business owner
- More COVID-19 business resources from Square
Streamline business operations
What are your options for reopening your business and adjusting to evolving local, state, and federal protocols? From step-by-step guides for navigating the latest challenges to solutions for businesses across industries, here are tools and resources to help you find your footing during this time.
- What to Consider When Reopening Your Business
- Reopening A Retail Store: What You Need to Know
- Reopening A Restaurant: What You Need to Know
- How to Handle Increased Customer Demand as You Reopen
- 6 Methods for Touch-Free and Remote Payments
- A Retailer’s Guide to COVID-19 Supply Disruptions
- Restauranteurs Brace for Continued Supply Chain Volatility
- How to Navigate Changing COVID-19 Guidelines
Manage cash flow during COVID-19
Managing your cash flow may have become less predictable as cost of goods fluctuate, different services or goods are in demand with your customers, and you navigate your business through stages of re-opening. There are a few ways you can proactively manage your cash inflows and outflows so that you can better forecast your business’ finances for the months ahead.
Mandated business closures and travel restrictions may make your sales patterns unpredictable. Here are some resources to help you manage and evaluate your current financial status, and discover the best way to triage a cash flow problem.
- What is Cost of Goods Sold and How Do You Calculate It?
- Profit and Loss Statement Template [Downloadable Tool]
- Cash Flow Management for Small Business Owners [Template]
- 4 Common Financial Issues Small Businesses Face
- How Restaurants Can Prevent and Manage Chargebacks
- 4 Ways to Optimize Your Accounts Receivable
- What to Do When a Customer’s Credit Card Is Declined
- Paying it Forward, a Finance Podcast by Square
Try new eCommerce solutions
Whether you’re temporarily closing your brick-and-mortar business or just want to reach more customers who aren’t venturing out, now is the time to make the most of your online channels. Launch an online store, learn how to offer pickup and delivery, and start selling on social media. Here’s how to get started.
- How to Start a Free Online Store from Your Square Account
- Multichannel Retailing: How to Sell Your Products Online and Offline
- How to Expand Your Curbside Pickup and Delivery Options
- How to Use Instagram Shoppable Posts to Sell on Social Media
- How to Promote eGift Cards for Your Business
- How Some Businesses Are Adapting Their Product Offerings
- QR Code Menus: Why Restaurants Should Make The Switch
- How to Offer Alcohol Delivery
Maintain customer relationships
How you run your business has likely changed in the last year and, with it, so has your customer experience. From newsletters to new ordering channels, here are a few things to consider to make sure your customers feel comfortable, connected, and informed when it comes to interacting with your business.
Hire and manage your team
Your team keeps your business running. Start with prioritizing staff health and safety, as well as your own. Transparency with your employees and your customers is also key as operations evolve.
Whether you’re fully remote or navigating indoor operations, here are tips for supporting your workforce, staffing up quickly, and maintaining physical and mental health at your business.
Build resilience as a business owner
Uncertainty and stress are common feelings across industries. Get insight and inspiration from business owners who have faced similar challenges, found ways to grow, and embraced evolution over the past year.
- Chinatown Businesses Reflect on Resilience and Legacy
- Harlem Biscuit Company’s Story of Business Resilience
- How Civil Alchemy Created a Family of Brands
- The Kebab Shop’s Digital Strategy Fueling Growth & Resilience
- Why 3 Atlanta Small Businesses are Embracing Partnerships
- How WTR Cooler Studio is Building a Different Kind Of Creative Space
- Wide Eyes Open Palms Built an Inclusive Cafe Through Thoughtful Staffing
- How Pinhole Coffee Views the World
- Virtual Workshops and Shipping Solutions Transformed The Juicy Leaf
More COVID-19 business resources from Square
Stay top of mind for customers and learn from fellow business owners using the resources below.
Your Next Move: Advice & Ideas for Leaders Redefining Business
We partnered with Forbes to help businesses celebrate resilience, build skills, and explore what’s next.
The Future of Commerce in 2021
Get a snapshot of what businesses are investing in — along with inspiration, tactics, and tools that can help set you up for success.