Table of contents
As a small business owner you’ve got lots on your plate, especially with the busy holiday season fast approaching. But before you’re slammed with the holiday rush, you’ll definitely want to get set up to accept chip cards and contactless payments since they’re the most secure way to pay and process payments in-person.
Already on the ball and #ReaderReady? Great. Snap a photo of your countertop, post it to social media, and you could win free processing on $10,000 in payments.
How to be #ReaderReady
For a chance at free processing, you just need to:
- Connect your reader.
- Position it in the best spot on your countertop.
- Put up a sign letting your customers know you accept contactless payments like Apple Pay and Android Pay.
- Take a pic of your counter and post it to social media with #ReaderReady and #Contest.
When you see this banner, your reader is ready for any contactless payment — like Apple Pay or Android Pay.
How to connect your reader
Make sure it’s powered up and connected to your Point of Sale app. Tap the button on the bottom when you’re ready to make a sale, or keep it powered all day long with the Dock for Square Reader. Watch this quick video to see how to get started.
Just add a contactless sign and you’re ready to go.
Where to put your reader
Place your reader on your countertop, halfway between you and your customers, with the Square logo facing them. That way, they can easily make a contactless payment with their phone. And you can help them dip their chip card into the reader if needed.
Put up a sign
Let your customers know you accept mobile wallet payments like Apple Pay and Android Pay. Display the sticker included with your new reader or order free Apple Pay stickers. Alternatively, go the DIY route and make your own sign.
Take a photo and post it to social media
Show us your new setup for a chance to win free processing on $10,000 in payments. Snap a photo of your countertop, showing your sign and your reader in the right spot. Then post it to Twitter or Instagram with the hashtags #ReaderReady and #Contest for a chance to win. We’re collecting our favorites here. In addition to showing the right reader position along with a contactless payment sign, entrants will be judged based on the creativity and quality of the image and the originality of their mobile wallet sign. We’ll award the 50 sellers with our favorite images free processing on $10,000.
Why being #ReaderReady makes sense for your business
Beyond the chance to win free processing, here are a few other reasons why it pays to be #ReaderReady this holiday season:
- Speed up the queue — Chip card transactions now take just 4.2 seconds on our reader, and contactless payments like Apple Pay are one of the quickest ways to pay.
- Security — Chip cards and contactless payments are both extremely secure and way less susceptible to fraud than magstripe cards. Dip chip cards and accept contactless payments to protect your business and your customers.
- Liability shift — Since the liability shift on October 1, 2015, sellers can be responsible for fraudulent charges made with swiped chip cards. You can protect yourself by dipping chip cards in your new reader instead of swiping them.