Privacy Notice for Cash App
To access the Privacy Notice effective through May 24, 2018, click here.
Posted on (and effective date for new customers): April 16, 2018
Effective Date: May 25, 2018
This Privacy Notice describes how how Square, Inc. and our affiliates (collectively, “Square,” “we,” and “us”) collect, use, disclose, transfer, store, retain or otherwise process your information when you (“you,” “your”) apply or sign up for a Cash App account through a relevant app store or online at https://cash.me/ and other services (collectively, “Services”).
This Privacy Notice applies to your use of our Services, and covers only information collected in connection with your access to and use of our Services. Please read this Privacy Notice carefully. By continuing to interact with our Services, you are consenting to the practices described in this Privacy Notice.
Our Privacy Notice explains:
- What information we collect about you
- How we use your information
- When and with whom we share your information
- How long we retain your information
- Cookies and other similar technologies
- Third party advertising and analytics
- Your choices
- Storage and processing
- Changes to this privacy notice
INFORMATION WE COLLECT ABOUT YOU
We need to collect information about you to provide you with the Services or the support you request. The type of information we collect can vary depending on the country from which you access our Services. Additionally, you can choose to voluntarily provide information to us.
Information You Provide to Access our Services
We collect information you provide when you apply or sign up for a Cash App account, go through our identity or account verification process, authenticate into your account, communicate with us, answer our surveys, participate in contests or promotions offered by us or our partners, or otherwise use our Services.
We collect information about you when you use our Services, including:
- Identification Information. Your name, email address, zip code, phone number, Cashtag, signature, and authentication credentials (for example, information you use to login to your Cash account), including IP address.
- Financial Information. Bank account and payment card numbers.
- Additional Identification Information for Verified User. Your full mailing address; date of birth; government-issued identification, including Social Security number, passport, or driver’s license; and photograph if you choose to share such information in order to send and receive larger payment amounts or purchase Bitcoin.
- Contacts Information. In order to provide you with the Service, we will also need to collect information from you about the intended recipient of the payment you request us to make. We will therefore ask you to provide contact details of your intended recipient. You can do this by: (a) manually entering a phone number or email address into the Cash App; or (b) as described below (under Information You Provide to Enhance Your Experience), you can choose to give us access to your phone contacts to facilitate the entry of recipient information. You can update your settings to stop sharing your phone contacts with us at any time, although we will always need a recipient’s phone number or email address to send money to them as requested by you.
- Transaction Information. When you use our Services to make, accept, or request payments, we collect information about when and where the transactions occur, the names of the transacting parties, a description of the transactions, the payment or transfer amounts, billing and shipping information, and the devices and payment methods used to complete the transactions.
Information You Provide to Enhance Your Experience
You can choose to provide us with additional information in order to obtain a better user experience when using our Services:
- Contacts Information. We collect the telephone numbers of all your phone contacts if you choose to give us access to your phone contacts. You can update your settings to share your phone contacts with us at any time although we will always need a recipient’s phone or email address to send money to them as requested by you.
- Social Media Information. If you choose to connect to your social media account, you give us express permission to collect any social media account details.
- Other Information You Provide. We collect information that you voluntarily provide to us, including your photograph, if you choose to upload a picture to the Services; survey responses; participation in contests, or other marketing lead forms or devices; suggestions for improvements; referrals; or any other actions performed on the Services.
Information We Automatically Collect From Your Use of our Services
We collect information about you and the devices you use to access the Services, such as your computer, mobile phone, or tablet. The information that we collect includes:
- Geolocation Information. The location of your device, including your IP address, device language, and location of your network provider. For more information and to learn how to disable collection of location information, please see below.
- Device Information. Information about your device, including your hardware model, operating system and version, device name, unique device identifier, mobile network information, and information about the device’s interaction with our Services. If you use an iOS device, we also automatically detect if you have downloaded Chrome, so we can ask you which browser you prefer to use to open links from your Cash App.
- Use Information. Information about how you use our Services, including your access time, “log-in” and “log-out” information, browser type and language, country and language setting on your device, Internet Protocol (“IP”) address, the domain name of your Internet service provider, other attributes about your browser, mobile device and operating system, any specific page you visit on our platform, content you view, features you use, the date and time of your visit to or use of the Services, your search terms, the website you visited before you visited or used the Services, data about how you interact with our Services, and other clickstream data.
Information We Collect From Other Sources
We also collect information about you from third parties, including:
- Identity Verification. Information from third-party verification services (e.g., identity verification agencies, social media companies (if you authorize us to do so), and through companies which provide third party analytics (see Cookies section)), and publicly available sources. In some circumstances, where lawful, this information can include your government-issued identification number.
- Credit, Compliance, and Fraud. Information about you from third parties in connection with any credit investigation, credit eligibility, identity or account verification process, fraud detection process, or collection procedure, or as may otherwise be required by applicable law. This includes, without limitation, the receipt and exchange of account or credit-related information with any credit reporting agency or credit bureau, where lawful, and any person or corporation with whom you have had, currently have, or may have a financial relationship, including without limitation past, present, and future places of employment, financial institutions, and personal reporting agencies.
Our Services are general audience services not directed at children under the age of 13. If we obtain actual knowledge that any information we collect has been provided by a child under the age of 13, we will promptly delete that information.
HOW WE USE YOUR INFORMATION
We may use information about you for a number of purposes, including:
Providing, Improving, and Developing our Services
- Determining whether the Services are available in your country;
- Processing or recording payment transactions or money transfers;
- Providing you with the Cash product and features you choose to use;
- Displaying your historical transaction information;
- Connecting you with people you already know;
- Providing, maintaining and improving our Services;
- Developing new products and services;
- Delivering the information and support you request through the use of our Services;
- Improving, personalizing and facilitating your use of our Services, content and applications;
- Measuring, tracking and analyzing trends and usage in connection with your use or the performance of our Services.
Communicating with You About our Services
- Sending you promotional information we think you may find useful or which you have requested from us about our products and services;
- Conducting surveys and collecting feedback about our Services.
Protecting our Services and Maintaining a Trusted Environment
- Investigating, detecting, preventing, or reporting fraud, misrepresentations, security breaches or incidents, other potentially prohibited or illegal activities, or to otherwise help protect your account, including to dispute chargebacks on your behalf;
- Protecting our or our customers’ rights or property, or the security or integrity of our Services, content and applications;
- Enforcing our Terms of Service or other applicable agreements or policies;
- Verifying your identity (e.g., through government-issued identification numbers);
- Complying with any applicable laws or regulations, or in response to lawful requests for information from the government or through legal process;
- Fulfilling any other purpose disclosed to you in connection with our Services;
- Contacting you to resolve disputes, collect fees and provide assistance with our Services.
Advertising and Marketing
- Marketing of our Services;
- Communicating with you about opportunities, products, services, contests, promotions, discounts, incentives, surveys, and rewards offered by us and select partners;
- If we send you marketing emails, each email will contain instructions permitting you to “opt out” of receiving future marketing or other communications.
- For any other purpose disclosed to you in connection with our Services from time to time.
HOW WE SHARE YOUR INFORMATION
We may share information about you as follows:
With Other Users of our Services with Whom You Interact
- With other users of our Services with whom you interact through your own use of our Services. For example, we may share information when you make or accept a payment or money transfer using our Services.
With our Affiliates
- With our group companies and corporate affiliates, for the purposes outlined above.
With Third Parties
- With third parties to provide, maintain, and improve our Services, including service providers who access information about you to perform services on our behalf (e.g., fraud prevention, identity verification, and fee collection services), as well as financial institutions, payment networks, payment card associations, credit bureaus, and other entities in connection with the payment or money transfer process or otherwise in connection with the Services;
- With third parties that run advertising campaigns, contests, special offers, or other events or activities on our behalf or in connection with our Services.
Business Transfers and Corporate Changes
- To a subsequent owner, co-owner, or operator of one or more of the Services; or
- In connection with (including, without limitation, during the negotiation or due diligence process of) a corporate merger, consolidation, or restructuring; the sale of substantially all of our stock and/or assets; financing, acquisition, divestiture, or dissolution of all or a portion of our business; or other corporate change.
Safety and Compliance with Law
- If we believe that disclosure is reasonably necessary (i) to comply with any applicable law, regulation, legal process or governmental request (e.g., from tax authorities, law enforcement agencies, etc.); (ii) to enforce or comply with our General Terms or other applicable agreements or policies; (iii) to protect our or our customers’ rights or property, or the security or integrity of our Services; or (iv) to protect us, users of our Services or the public from harm, fraud, or potentially prohibited or illegal activities.
With Your Consent
- With your consent. For example:
- At your direction or as described at the time you agree to share;
- When you authorize a third party application or website to access your information.
Aggregated and Anonymized Information
- We also may share (within our group of companies or with third parties) aggregated and anonymized information that does not specifically identify you or any individual user of our Services.
HOW LONG WE RETAIN YOUR INFORMATION
We generally retain your information as long as reasonably necessary to provide you the Services or to comply with applicable law. However, even after you deactivate your account, we can retain copies of information about you and any transactions or Services in which you may have participated for a period of time that is consistent with applicable law, applicable statute of limitations or as we believe is reasonably necessary to comply with applicable law, regulation, legal process, or governmental request, to detect or prevent fraud, to collect fees owed, to resolve disputes, to address problems with our Services, to assist with investigations, to enforce our General Terms or other applicable agreements or policies, or to take any other actions consistent with applicable law.
COOKIES AND OTHER SIMILAR TECHNOLOGIES
We use various technologies to collect information when you access or use our Services, including placing a piece of code, commonly referred to as a “cookie,” or similar technology on your device and using web beacons. Cookies are small data files that are stored on your hard drive or in your device memory when you visit a website or view a message. Among other things, cookies support the integrity of our registration process, retain your preferences and account settings, and help evaluate and compile aggregated statistics about user activity. We will begin collecting information about you or from activity on devices you use as soon as you use our Services. By using our Services, you permit us to collect and use your information from activity on devices you use in accordance with this Privacy Notice. For more information and to learn how to block or delete cookies used in the Services, please see below.
Certain cookies we use last only for the duration of your web or application session and expire when you close your browser or exit the application. Other cookies are used to remember you when you return to use the Services and, as such, will last longer.
- Remember that you have visited us or used the Services before. This means we can identify the number of unique visitors we receive, which allows us to plan for enough capacity to accommodate all of our users.
- Customize elements of the promotional layout and/or content of our Services.
- Collect data about the way you interact with our Services (e.g., when you use certain features).
- Allow our business partners (including third parties) to use these tracking technologies to track your behavior on our behalf on our Platform (including when you use multiple devices) and on partner websites.
- Allow third parties to collect data about the way you interact across sites outside of our Services.
- Collect anonymous statistical information about how you use the Services (including the length of your application session) and the location from which you access the Services, so that we can improve the Services and learn which elements and functions of the Services are most popular with our users.
Some of the cookies used in the Services are set by us, and others are set by third parties who deliver services on our behalf.
Most web and mobile device browsers are set to automatically accept cookies by default. However, you can change your browser settings to prevent automatic acceptance of cookies, or to notify you each time a cookie is set.
You also can learn more about cookies by visiting http://www.allaboutcookies.org, which includes additional useful information on cookies and how to block cookies on different types of browsers and mobile devices. Please note, however, that by blocking or deleting cookies used in the Services, you may not be able to take full advantage of the Services.
We also may collect information using web beacons. Web beacons are electronic images that may be used in our Services or emails. We use web beacons to deliver cookies, track the number of visits to our website, understand usage and campaign effectiveness, and determine whether an email has been opened and acted upon.
THIRD-PARTY ADVERTISING AND ANALYTICS
This Privacy Notice does not apply to, and we are not responsible for, third-party cookies, web beacons, or other tracking technologies, which are covered by such third parties’ privacy policies. For more information, we encourage you to check the privacy policies of these third parties to learn about their privacy practices. For more information about targeted advertising specifically, please visit http://www.aboutads.info/choices.
Examples of our third-party service providers to help deliver our Services or to connect to our Services include:
Google Analytics: We use Google Analytics to understand how our Services perform and how you use them. To learn more about how Google processes your data, please visit https://www.google.com/policies/privacy/. To opt out of Google Analytics please visit https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout.
Facebook: We use Facebook to advertise and market our services. We also use Facebook Connect API to allow you to connect your Facebook account to your Square account. To learn more about how Facebook uses your data please visit https://www.facebook.com/help/325807937506242/ or log on to your Facebook account and access your settings. To understand more about Facebook advertising please see here https://www.facebook.com/about/ads.
BugSnag and Crashlytics: We use Bugsnag and Crashlytics monitoring apps to monitor errors that impact customers and report diagnostic data to us so we can improve our Service and help to make sure they work when you need to use them. Please visit https://docs.bugsnag.com/legal/privacy-policy/ to learn more about how Bugsnag processes your data and https://fabric.io/terms to learn more about how Crashlytics processes your data.
You may access, change, or correct information that you have provided by logging into your Cash App account at any time or by making a request to us using the contact details below, in which case we may need to verify your identity before granting access or otherwise changing or correcting your information.
Deactivating Your Account
If you wish to deactivate your account, you can do so at any time by logging into your Cash App account and visiting https://cash.me/support.
If you would like to have your account closed permanently, please contact us at https://cash.me/support.
In order to provide certain Services, we may require access to location information, including precise geolocation information collected from your device. If you do not consent to collection of this information, certain Services will not function properly and you will not be able to use those Services. You can stop our collection of location information at any time by changing the preferences on your mobile device. If you do so, some of our mobile applications will no longer function. You also may stop our collection of location information via mobile application by following the standard uninstall process to remove Cash mobile applications from your device.
Do Not Track
Do Not Track (“DNT”) is an optional browser setting that allows you to express your preferences regarding tracking across websites. We do not have a mechanism in place to respond to DNT signals. We track some activity across websites (including your search terms, the website you visited before you visited or used the Services, and other clickstream data) and we may continue to collect information in the manner described in this Privacy Notice from web browsers that have enabled DNT signals or similar mechanisms.
You can opt out of receiving in-app push notifications containing promotional messages from us by following the instructions on screen or by following the instructions in those messages. If you decide to opt out, we can still send you non-promotional communications in-app, via email and text, such as transaction receipts and messages about your account or our processing of your information in accordance with the provision of our Services.
California Privacy Rights
California law permits residents of California to request certain details about our disclosure of your personal information to third parties for direct marketing purposes during the immediately preceding calendar year. If you are a California resident and would like to request this information, please contact us at the address listed below.
We take reasonable measures, including administrative, technical, and physical safeguards, to protect your information from loss, theft, misuse, and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, and destruction. Nevertheless, the internet is not a 100% secure environment, and we cannot guarantee absolute security of the transmission or storage of your information. We hold information about you both at our own premises and with the assistance of third-party service providers.
For more information about our security practices, please visit https://squareup.com/security.
STORAGE AND PROCESSING
We may, and we may use third-party service providers to, process and store your information in the United States, Canada, Japan, the European Union and other countries.
CHANGES TO THIS PRIVACY NOTICE
We may amend this Privacy Notice from time to time by posting a revised version and updating the “Effective Date” above. The revised version will be effective on the “Effective Date” listed. We will provide you with reasonable prior notice of material changes in how we use your information, including by email, if you have provided an email address. If you disagree with these changes, you may cancel your account at any time. Your continued use of our Services constitutes your consent to any amendment of this Privacy Notice.
Please contact our Privacy Department with any questions or concerns regarding this Privacy Notice.
1455 Market Street, Suite 600
San Francisco, CA 94103, U.S.A.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding our notice, or if you believe our notice or applicable laws relating to the protection of your personal information have not been respected, you may file a complaint with our Privacy Department listed above, and we will respond to let you know who will be handling your matter and when you can expect a further response. We may request additional details from you regarding your concerns and may need to engage or consult with other parties in order to investigate and address your issue. We may keep records of your request and any resolution.