Home>Payroll Overview & Getting Started

Employer Identification Number

To sign up with Square Payroll, you must provide your Employer Identification Number (EIN). All employers must be registered with the IRS and must have an EIN if they have or plan on hiring employees. 

Review a full list of tax resources for each state.

Get an EIN

If you do not have an EIN, you can get one by visiting the IRS website and applying for one online.

Locate your EIN

You can find your EIN in a number of locations:

  • When you first apply for an EIN, the IRS will send you Form SS-4. Your EIN is located in the top right corner of this form (it is a nine-digit number in the following format: XX-XXXXXXX).

  • You can call the IRS and inquire about your EIN. You can reach their Business and Specialty Tax Line at 800-829-4933.

  • If you are transitioning to Square Payroll from a different payroll provider (or have filed payroll tax returns in the past), your EIN can be found on previously filed tax forms. Your EIN will be listed at the top of Form 941.

If you ever need to update your EIN due to a typo or change in corporation type, please contact us  and we can take care of this on your behalf.