March 8 is International Women’s Day, a moment to celebrate the social, economic, and political achievements of women across the globe. To commemorate the occasion, we rounded up 10 quotes from inspiring women entrepreneurs about what they’ve learned along their path to success.
- “Fearlessness is not the absence of fear. It’s the mastery of fear. It’s about getting up one more time than we fall down.” —Arianna Huffington, editor in chief of The Huffington Post
- “Follow your passion — and if you don’t know what it is, realize that one reason for your existence on earth is to find it.” —Oprah Winfrey
- “I want every little girl who’s been told she’s bossy to be told again she has leadership skills.” —Sheryl Sandberg, COO at Facebook
- “The difference between skill and talent: A skill is something you learn. Talent is what you can’t help doing.” —Caroline Ghosen, founder and CEO of career site Levo
- “Build your business success around something that you love — something that is inherently and endlessly interesting to you.” —Martha Stewart, businesswoman, writer, and television personality
- “In whatever you do, you’re not going to stand out unless you think big and have ideas that are truly original. That comes from tapping into your own creativity, not obsessing over what everyone else is doing.” —Sophia Amoruso, founder of Nasty Gal
- “Surround yourself with a trusted and loyal team. It makes all the difference.” —Alison Pincus, cofounder of One Kings Lane
- “Life-fulfilling work is never about the money — when you feel true passion for something, you instinctively find ways to nurture it.” —Eileen Fisher, fashion designer
- “I wake up every morning and think to myself, ‘How far can I push the company forward in the next 24 hours?’” —Leah Busque, founder and CEO of TaskRabbit
- “Nobody talks about entrepreneurship as a survival, but that’s exactly what it is and what nurtures creative thinking. Running that first shop taught me business is not financial science; it’s about trading: buying and selling.” —Anita Roddick, founder of The Body Shop
On March 10, Square is celebrating with our third annual Ladies Who Launch event at our San Francisco HQ, where we bring together amazing women business owners in our community for a day of speakers, workshops, and breakout sessions. We hope to see you there.