The Square for Retail POS system includes robust inventory management tools that streamline your back of house – create purchase orders and manage your stock, right from your online Square Dashboard.
If you’re new to Square for Retail, take a look at our comprehensive Getting Started Guide – it includes helpful tips for merchants who are new to the Square Point of Sale for Retail (but have experience using the Square Point of Sale app), as well as easy-to-follow onboarding steps for anyone brand new to Square.
Inventory at a Glance
When you log in to the Inventory tab in your online Square Dashboard, you’ll see the list of your inventory items. If you have multiple locations, the stock levels for each item variation will reflect the total amount of items, across all locations.
Actions You Can Take From Here:
- Click on any inventory item to see its variants, Unit Costs, SKUs, price, and current stock level.
- Click the three horizontal dots next to each variant to adjust stock or transfer inventory between locations.
- Navigate around your inventory management tools – view your vendors, create purchase orders
- Manage Modifiers, Categories, Discounts, Taxes, Gift Cards, Dining Options as well as Comp and Void Settings
Get Started Tracking Your Inventory
To track inventory for a new item:
- Log in to Items from your app menu.
- Click the name of the item to track > under Price and Inventory, click Stock.
- On the variation details page, each location will appear below. Toggle on each applicable location a location by enabling Tracking.
- Enter the Current Stock amount > Done.
To update inventory levels for the item you just created:
- Log in to Inventory on your online Square Dashboard.
- Search for the item > click the variant to adjust.
- From the variation details page, update your stock by clicking Stock Action or Transfer Stock to move existing inventory between locations.
- Enable Alerts and set a Low Stock Alert > Save.
To adjust stock levels online:
- Log in to Inventory from app menu.
- Select an inventory item to adjust.
- For each location, under Stock Action, select a reason for the adjustment.
- Enter the amount to adjust > click Save.
Note: Stock Received, Inventory Recount, and Return will add to the adjusted stock amount — Damage, Theft, Loss will remove stock.
To adjust stock levels from the Retail app:
- Enter the item name into the search bar.
- When the item appears in the drop down > tap More Info.
- Locate the In Store section > tap Adjust Stock.
- Enter the new stock number, select a reason, tap Save.
Note: There is a 25,000 item limit.
Transfer Inventory Between Locations
Transfer inventory from one location to another from your online Square Dashboard:
- Log in to Inventory from the app menu.
- Select an inventory item to adjust.
- At the top right hand corner, click Transfer Stock.
- Select the location to transfer from, the quantity, and the receiving location.
- Click Transfer Stock.
Your updated stock will reflect immediately.
Inventory reports are currently calculated based on items with unit costs. They exclude discounts, inventory re-counts, damage, theft, and loss. Items without a cost are not represented and may impact your reporting value.
Square does not provide tax or accounting advice. You should consult your own tax and accounting advisors before using such reports for any tax or accounting purposes.
The Cost of Goods Sold report accounts for any items sold that were originally received with an associated cost. View your revenue, profit, and profit margin for each item variation.
The Projected Profit report looks at the inventory you have in stock with an associated cost and item price, and calculates your potential profit (given you sell the item at the assigned cost and price).
Just like the Projected Profit report, Inventory by Category looks at the value of your entire stock (Total Inv. Value) received with a cost, and calculates the profit margin based on the potential sale value. The breakdown by category is intended to give you a higher level overview so you can compare item category profitability.
Read more about inventory reporting.