Create and Print Bar Code Labels
With Square for Retail, you can create and print labels using the following labels, their respective printing templates, and supported printers noted by the label manufacturer:
Dymo Bar Code Printer: LabelWriter 450
Zebra Bar Code Printer: ZD410
- Zebra Label: 1” x 1”
- Zebra Label: 1.2” x 0.85”
- Zebra Label: 1 - 1/2” x 1”
- Zebra Label: 1 - 1/2” x 1/2”
Note: The Zebra ZD410 requires a label roll with a 1” diameter core.
For both the Dymo LabelWriter 450 and Zebra ZD410, make sure to purchase a direct thermal paper label. Thermal transfer paper is not compatible with either of the above bar code printers.
Avery Labels to Standard Printer
- Avery 5161/8161 - Easy Peel Address Labels 1” x 4”
- Avery 5160/8160 - Easy Peel Address Labels 1” x 2 - 5/8”
- Avery 5167/8167 - Easy Peel Return Address Labels 1/2” x 1 - 3/4”
- Avery 5195/8195 - Easy Peel Return Address Labels 2/3” x 1 - 3/4”
Note: If you’d like your labels to contain a scannable bar code, make sure your items have a SKU assigned to them. Learn more about creating and managing items online.
Create Labels from Your Online Square Dashboard
- Sign in to the Items section of your online Square Dashboard > Actions.
- Click Print Labels
- Select a label type and location.
- Choose to print labels by Category, Purchase Order, or Product.
- Click Create > download or print labels.
- Click Done
By downloading the labels to your computer, you’re able to revisit the file to print more labels in the future and send the file to another computer.
Recommended Printer Settings and Troubleshooting
Although conditions will vary depending on your computer and browser, below are some general guidelines to help you format your settings:
Printer: Since we support three devices, from your printer setting, you will need to select your preferred printer. If your printer is successfully connected, it will will appear in the dropdown menu.
System Dialog: If you’re running into issues with label alignment or bar code clarity, try using the system dialog, rather than the browser dialog.
Paper Size: Make sure to select the correct label size. For instance, if you’re using 1/2” x 1- 1/2” labels, you’ll want to select this option before printing.
Scale: Make sure your settings are set to scale at 100%. Disable any setting that would Fit to print.
Orientation: If you are using a Dymo printer, you may need to reset the printer orientation. Often, the settings default to Portrait orientation. You will need to update this to Landscape.
Output Resolution: The default output resolution is 300 DPI. If your bar code scanner is having difficulty reading the printed label, you may want to adjust the resolution to 300x600 DPI.
Drivers: Make sure you have drivers downloaded for your compatible printer:
- Dymo driver list
- Zebra driver list
If you are on a Windows computer, and you’re running into any issues, we recommend the following:
- Download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
- Once creating your label(s), download the PDF.
- Open the PDF in Adobe Acrobat Reader .
- Make sure to print using the specifications outlined in above section.
Learn more about using Square for Retail.