With many businesses still unable to open their physical stores due to COVID-19 restrictions, and some businesses operating completely online, it’s important to be able to set up your business to accept online payments, in a way that works best for you. This could be through setting up an online store, integrating online payments into your existing website, or by setting up online checkout links.
How do online payments work with Square?
Using a managed payment provider like Square makes it easy to accept online payments through credit and debit cards on your website.
Square takes care of authorising the transaction with the card issuer and settling the funds into your bank account within 1-2 business days. We also help mitigate the risk of fraudulent transactions by keeping a watchful eye over your account and ensure that all PCI DSS Compliance standards are met. This means you can focus on what you do best — your business — and leave the rest to us.
How can you start accepting payments online?
There are many ways to start accepting online payments – you must first consider the needs of your business and the skills you have onhand to offer online payments, as solutions vary.
Square has a range of online payment solutions that make it easy to accept credit and debit cards online, from the simplest solutions to take payments online like Square Online Checkout, to integrations with top eCommerce providers. Most connections can be completed in just a few clicks.
Some popular options for online payments include:
- Creating online payment links: You can accept online payments for a particular product without creating an online store by creating online payment links. You can do this by using Square Online Checkout, which allows you to set up a shareable online payment link for free. Your customers won’t need an account or special app to make the payment, they just go straight to the checkout.
- Creating a simple online store with Square Online Store: If you would like a quick, simple way to create an online store, then Square Online Store is a great choice – and it’s also free. There’s no need to learn how to code, as the website builder is easy to use. You can upload your inventory online, and ship orders to your customers, or offer curbside pickup, and provide online appointment booking for services.
- Use a third party to build an online store with Square integrations: You can also use third party website builders like Wix, Ecwid, BigCommerce to build an online store, which have existing Square integrations that allow for online payments. Find out more about Square eCommerce partners.
- Use a plug-in for your existing website: If you’ve already built a store using a host like WordPress, you can use a plugin like WooCommerce or Magento to allow online payments and integrate with your Square account. View all partners here.
- Build a website yourself from scratch: If you’re coding a website yourself from scratch, you can use Square’s Developer solutions and APIs to accept online payments directly on a website that you build yourself1. You can use our Transactions API and Payment form, or the Square Checkout functionality. Learn more here.
How quickly do I get my funds through online payments?
Using Square, the payment will come through to your account within 1-2 business days.
So, once you’ve decided on which method you’ll use to accept online payments, you’re all set! For more information about accepting online payments and setting up an online store, learn more about Square’s eCommerce solutions.
1 Square AU Pty Ltd., ABN 38 167 106 176, AFSL 513929. Square’s AFSL applies to some of Square AU’s products and services but not others. Please read and consider the relevant Terms & Conditions, Financial Services Guide and Product Disclosure Statement before using Square’s products and services to consider if they are right for you.