Apple iOS Compatibility & Contactless Reader
The Square Reader is supported on iOS devices with the following:
- The latest software version or iOS 9.3.5 and above.
- An updated version of the Square app: Version 4.71 or higher for iOS. Learn how to update your Square app.
- Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE)
Most Apple iOS devices running the latest iOS version are compatible. Note: The reader will not connect to devices with iOS 9. You’ll need to update to iOS 9.3.5 or above.
If you’re using Square Stand, you can connect the reader to your stand’s USB hardware hub to accept any payment type. Mobile devices not connected to Square Stand will connect wirelessly with the reader.
Google Android Compatibility & Contactless Reader
The Square contactless and chip card reader is supported on most Android devices with the following:
- Your Android device must be running Android 5 or higher.
- An updated version of the Square app: Version 4.70 or higher for Android. Learn how to update your Square app.
- Built-in Bluetooth Low Energy.
Keep in mind: Rooted and jailbroken devices are currently not supported with the Square Point of Sale app. If you are unsure if your device is compatible, an easy way to check is by saving a card to your Android Pay. If you are able to save a card to your phone, you should be set.
We can’t guarantee support with all Android devices at the moment, but we’re working to support as many as possible. If your device isn’t currently on this list, there’s a chance it will be supported in the future.
If you have any problems with your reader, you can return it within 30 days.
You can also view the list of supported devices with the Square magstripe and chip card readers.
If your Device Doesn’t Have a Headphone Jack
The Square contactless and chip reader pairs wirelessly to mobile devices via Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE). There is no need to use a headphone jack adapter with this reader.