Devices Compatible with Square Reader
Apple iOS Compatibility & Contactless Reader
The Square contactless and chip and PIN card reader is supported on iOS devices with the following:
- Devices running iOS 10 or above. Learn how to update software on an iOS device.
- An updated version of the Square app: Version 5 or higher for iOS. Learn how to update your Square app.
- Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE).
Most Apple iOS devices running the latest iOS version are compatible.
If you’re using Square Stand, you can connect the reader to your stand’s USB hardware hub to accept any payment type. Mobile devices not connected to Square Stand will connect wirelessly with the reader.
Google Android Compatibility & Contactless Reader
The Square Reader is supported on most Android devices with the following:
- Your Android device must be running Android 5 or higher.
- An updated version of the Square app: Version 5 or higher for Android. Learn how to update your Square app.
- Built-in Bluetooth Low Energy.
Keep in mind: Rooted and jailbroken devices are currently not supported with the Square Point of Sale app.
We can’t guarantee support with all Android devices at the moment, but we’re working to support as many as possible. If your device isn’t currently on this list, there’s a chance it will be supported in the future.
If you have any problems with your reader, you can return it within 30 days.
If your Device Doesn’t Have a Headphone Jack
The Square Reader pairs wirelessly to mobile devices via Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE). There is no need to use a headphone jack adapter with this reader.