Please note that this article is intended for educational purposes only and should not be deemed to be or used as legal, employment or health and safety advice. For guidance or advice specific to your business, consult with a qualified professional.
There’s an adage in business that it takes money to make money. When your business is successful, you’re in the perfect position to reinvest for long-term growth. This is when savvy business owners, executives and managers reinvest some profits to grow the business. Here’s a look at several ways to put your profits to good use and reinvest for an even more prosperous future.
1. Technology and equipment upgrades
Businesses in nearly all industries and of all sizes have opportunities to improve through enhanced technology that streamlines booking and customer management systems. Companies that sell products online can upgrade the systems tracking inventory, order management and fulfilment. Most businesses can also see improvements through upgrades to their websites. Enhancements to improve the customer experience include a more efficient checkout process to minimise cart abandonment; search engine optimisation (SEO) updates to rank higher in Google search results; and developing systems to speed up page load times.
Here are a few examples of purchases you can make to reinvest in your business:
- For your restaurant: Does your restaurant need equipment, such as new or upgraded appliances or cookware? Perhaps new serveware can give your dining room a fresh update. Consider technology upgrades such as mobile POS so your staff can manage more orders and turn tables faster.
- For a beauty business: Reinvesting profits can keep your salon well-equipped and easy to manage. Perhaps you need new hairdryers, scissors, chairs, product displays or upgraded lighting. If you book appointments on the phone, consider technology that can automate your appointment scheduling to allow your staff to focus on the creative work they’re passionate about.
- For a retail business: Investing in the right equipment, redesigning your store layout and investing in new merchandise can improve your store and bring in new customers and repeat business. Investing in your store improves the customer experience too. Consider investing in technology that provides real-time inventory updates and speeds up the checkout process.
Accept payments quickly and securely with Square Terminal.
2. Paying off debt
While debt is often an effective way to finance a business, continually carrying business debt, particularly at high interest rates, can harm an otherwise successful operation. A lower debt load improves your monthly free cash flow, giving you more flexibility to reinvest or take profits. Funds going to interest and debt repayment are funds you can’t use elsewhere.
3. New product development
Many large enterprises consistently invest in research and development (R&D) to expand their product and service offerings. For businesses of any size, adding related products or services is potentially interesting to current customers. Innovation is key to the long-term growth of businesses across industries. Companies that sit idle may find themselves left behind.
4. Marketing and advertising
Marketing is the lifeblood of a business. A regular influx of new customers can help a business thrive rather than simply sustain itself. Natural customer churn happens at even the best of businesses, so it’s critical to maintain a well-thought-out marketing strategy.
Common marketing strategies across business sizes and industries include:
- Event marketing: Having a presence at trade shows or conferences can put your brand in front of potential customers at events they’re likely to attend. This can raise your company profile and attract new business. You can even host events and classes at your own business to attract new customers.
- Social media marketing: An active social media presence can keep your brand top of mind and allow you to engage with current and potential customers. Consumers already use social platforms to search for new trends, products and services. Your social channels present an opportunity to capture their attention.
- Content marketing: Creating articles, blog posts, white papers, infographics and other content for your business website can draw in visitors, show off your expertise and convert browsers into buyers. Having a content-rich site with a blog is one of the most effective techniques to bring more website visitors and potential new customers.
- Automated marketing: Well-crafted and consistent marketing campaigns can turn past customers and prospects into your current customers. Investing in technology that automates the process can help you to build repeat business and maintain your customer relationships.
- Pay-per-click advertising: Advertising with search engines, social media platforms and online ad networks is an investment in building traffic to your website.
Other successful strategies include affiliate marketing, public relations, direct mailings and customer referral programmes. Testing and refining your marketing and advertising strategy helps ensure your spending leads to measurable results.
Your team is what makes your business work. Investing in strategic recruitment of additional staff and training them effectively can help your business run smoothly and improve customer experience. Periodically investing in your employees with team building events, training sessions and classes directly related to their workplace skills can foster loyalty and decrease costly employee attrition. To keep employees happy, consider upgrading your team and shift management systems for better visibility on performance and accurate and timely rotas.
6. Mergers and acquisitions
While large corporate mergers are more likely to earn news headlines, small to medium-sized businesses often engage in mergers and acquisitions. Paying a fair price to acquire a competing or complementary company can bring new revenue into your business. You may also find opportunities to eliminate redundancies to grow the net profitability of the newly combined company.
Reinvesting business profits is a strategic move that can lead to long-term growth and stability and enhance the financial performance of your business. The key to successful reinvestment lies in understanding your business’s specific needs and opportunities. By making informed decisions, reinvesting in your business can contribute to a more prosperous future.
Contact our sales team to learn more about how Square could help your business.