Get Started with Virtual Terminal
With Square’s Virtual Terminal, you can accept manually keyed-in payments right from your online Square Dashboard and charge your customers in seconds – no hardware, reader or app installation required.
Manually Enter Payments From Your Computer
To manually enter a payment using a computer:
- Log in to your online Square Dashboard using a supported browser.
- Navigate to Virtual Terminal > Take a Payment.
- Select Quick Charge to charge your customer a single dollar amount or Itemised Sale to add an item, modifier, discount, and tax to the sale. You’re also able to apply taxes and discounts to custom dollar amounts using Itemised Sale.
- Add an optional note to the sale.
- Under Payment Method, select Manually Enter Card.
- Enter the card details provided by your customer.
- Click Charge.
Once you see Payment Successful, you’re all set and can print or send a digital receipt to your customer via email or SMS message. You can review and confirm this payment was successful from Transactions in your online Square Dashboard.
Review Square’s deposit schedule.
Save Customer Information with Virtual Terminal
When you accept a payment using Virtual Terminal, you’ll be given the option to save the customer’s name and payment card to their profile in your Customer Directory for future payments. You’re also able to securely store a customer’s card on file from your Customer Directory.
Learn more about managing team permissions.
Charge a Saved Card on File
- From the Virtual Terminal section of your online Square Dashboard, click Take a Payment.
- Under Payment Method, click Customer Card on File.
- Search and select a customer > select a card on file.
- Click Charge.
Give a Team Member Access to Use Virtual Terminal
You can configure your Team Management settings to grant access to Virtual Terminal. Before you can get started, you’ll need to create at least one team member.
Team members who wish to save customer information and charge a card on file using Virtual Terminal must have the following permissions enabled for their role:
- Use Customer Directory and Feedback
- Manage Customer’s Cards on File
- Take Payments with Virtual Terminal
To give a team member access to Virtual Terminal:
- Visit Team > Permissions in your online Square Dashboard.
- Select the role the team member is assigned to.
- If it has not been checked off already, toggle on Access Dashboard.
- Check Take Payments with Virtual Terminal. If applicable, check Manage Customer’s Cards on File and Use Customer Directory and Feedback to allow this team member to save and charge cards on file using Virtual Terminal.
Keep in mind that changes made to a role’s permissions apply to all team members assigned to that role. Learn more about managing roles and permissions.
After you grant Virtual Terminal access to your team member, they will receive an email with instructions for setting up their account. Team members will be able to see only the account elements for which you have granted access.
Note: Permissions are only available through Square’s Team Management.
The fee for transactions manually processed through Virtual Terminal is 2.2% per transaction. The same fee applies to Virtual Terminal payments accepted using a card on file.