With Virtual Terminal, you can accept manually keyed-in payments right from your online Square Dashboard and charge your customers in seconds. No hardware, reader or app installation is required.
|Seller Community: When to Use Invoices vs. Virtual Terminal vs. Card Not Present.|
Take a Payment with Virtual Terminal
To take a payment with Virtual Terminal:
- Log into your online Square Dashboard.
- In the left pane, navigate to Virtual Terminal > Take a Payment.
- Enter the payment details provided by your customer.
- Click Charge.
Once you see Payment Successful, you’re all set and can print or send a digital receipt to your customer via email or SMS message. You can review and confirm this payment was successful from the Sales section of your dashboard under the Transactions tab.
Note: Virtual Terminal payments can only be sent to your linked bank account via our standard Next Business Day Deposit schedule.
Card on File with Virtual Terminal
Square’s Card on File feature makes it easier to charge returning customers using your online Square Dashboard.
Note: Employees who wish to charge a card on file using Virtual Terminal must have the Manage Customer’s Cards on File and Take Payments with Virtual Terminal permissions enabled for their role. Learn more about managing employee permissions.
Save a New Card on File
When you accept a payment using Virtual Terminal, you’ll be given the option to save the customer’s card to their profile in your Customer Directory for future payments. You’re also able to securely store a customer’s card on file from your Customer Directory.
To save a card on file after a payment:
- Take a payment with Virtual Terminal using the steps outlined above.
- Once completed, you’ll be presented with the option to Save Card to Customer.
- Search or create a new customer > enter their full name as displayed on the payment card.
- Click Print Authorization Form > Print, fill out, and have the customer sign the authorization. Keep on file for as long as you store their credit card data.
At this point, this customer’s card will be stored to their profile in your Customer Directory.
Charge a Saved Card on File
- From the Virtual Terminal section of your online Square Dashboard, click Take a Payment.
- Under Payment Method, click Customer Card on File.
- Search and select a customer > select a card on file.
- Click Charge.
Give an employee access to use Virtual Terminal
You can configure your Employee Management settings to grant access to Virtual Terminal. Before you can get started, you’ll need to create at least one employee.
To give an employee access to Virtual Terminal:
- Log in to the Employees section of your online Square Dashboard.
- Click the arrow next to the name of the employee whose permissions you’d like to update.
- Click Edit Role.
- If it has not been checked off already, toggle on Access Employee Dashboard.
- Check Take Payments with Virtual Terminal. If applicable, check Manage Customer’s Cards on File to allow this employee to charge cards on file using Virtual Terminal.
- Click Save.
Keep in mind that changes made to a role’s permissions apply to all employees assigned to that role. Learn more about managing employee roles and permissions.
After you grant Virtual Terminal access to your employee, they will receive an email with instructions for how set up their account. Employees will be able to see only the account elements for which you have granted access.
Note: Employee permissions are only available through Square’s Employee Management.
Transactions processed through Virtual Terminal are charged at the same rate as manually keyed-in transactions, 3.5% +$0.15 cents per transaction. The same fee applies to Virtual Terminal payments accepted using a card on file.