Square for Retail streamlines your business – so that your sales, inventory, purchase orders, customer directory and reports are integrated. The Square Retail app works with your online Square Dashboard, so connecting the dots (while optimizing your business’ profitability) has never been easier.
Note: The Square Retail App is supported by iPads running iOS 9.0 or higher.
If you’re brand new to Square, explore the Square Basics to get comfortable with the our ecosystem – and knock a few essentials off your to-do list:
- Link a bank account to your Square for Retail account to start receiving deposits.
- Set up your item library so you can hit the ground running and take full advantage of Square for Retail’s Inventory Plus features.
- Get the right hardware for your business to start accepting payments, printing receipts, and scanning barcodes.
If you’re familiar with Square – but new to Square for Retail – there are some more advanced next steps for you – but first, you’ll want to start your 30 day free trial:
- Visit squareup.com/retail.
- Click “Try It Free for 30 Days.”
- Scroll to bottom of page and click Already process payments with Square? Sign in with your Square account.
Create a device code
- Log in to Devices > click Create New Device.
- Click Retail > choose the device settings > Create.
- Enter your phone number or email address to receive a message with a copy of your new Device Code.
Note: Keep your new device code somewhere safe, you’ll need it to log in to the Retail app.
When you create a device code you can customize your device settings:
- Receipt Signature - This setting controls how and when your customers sign for their purchases. You can decide whether you want your customers to sign printed receipts or directly on the iPad, and whether you wish to require a signature for all transactions or only those exceeding a purchase total of $25.00.
- Employee Management - This setting controls how your employees interact with the Retail app: whether you would like your employees to clock in and out so you can track their time, and whether you would like to have a session timeout that would require entering the passcode after a certain time of inactivity on the Retail POS.
- Collect Tips - This setting allows your customers to add a tip to their purchase. You can choose whether to add tipping options to the signature screen or display them on a separate tipping screen. You’re also able to pick between suggested smart tips amounts or percentage amounts, and give your customers the option to enter a custom tip.
- Cash Management - This setting allows you to manage a cash drawer: whether you would like to track cash added to or removed from the cash drawer outside of transactions or refunds. This would make the Add Paid In/Out feature available on the More menu of the Square Retail app. You can set a default starting cash amount, and customize settings so that a cash report is printed once the cash drawer is closed or automatically sent to the email address of the employee provided.