To keep your payment records in one place, you can use Square Register to track cash, checks, gift cards from third-party services, and other types of payments. There's no fee to accept other tender types. When you accept other tender types, Square doesn't process any funds and functions only as an organizational tool. Funds for these transactions are exchanged directly between you and your customer and will not be deposited by Square.
Accept Cash, Checks, Third-Party Gift, and Other Tender on a Tablet
- Enter the amount of the payment or select a preset item to add to the current sale.
- Tap Charge.
- Select a Fast Cash amount or tap Custom to enter a different amount > Tender. If you're using an iPad connected to a cash drawer, your cash drawer will automatically open when you tap Tender.
- You can also tap Other Payment Method and then select the appropriate form of payment and an optional note.
- If you'd like to accept multiple forms of tender, use Split Tender.
- Allow your customer to enter their phone number or email address to select a receipt option. If your iPad is connected to a receipt or kitchen printer, you also can print a receipt and kitchen ticket.
- You'll see a final screen that reads All Done after the payment completes.
Accept Cash, Checks, Third-Party Gift Cards, and Other Tender on Smartphones
- Tap the keypad icon and then tap the orange + icon to add a custom sale amount.
- If you've created items, tap the list icon to select the item(s) you'd like to sell.
- To complete the payment, tap Charge.
- Select the appropriate form of payment: cash or other payment. If you select cash, you'll be prompted to enter the amount.
- Tap Tender. The next screen will calculate any change due.
- You'll see a final screen that reads "How do you want to receive your digital receipts?" after the payment completes. Have your customer select their preferred receipt delivery method.
Troubleshooting Uncompleted Payments
If you accept Cash or Other Tender without an Internet connection, the payments will be recorded in the All Activity section of the app under Uncompleted Payments.
When your Wi-Fi or data service is restored, the payments will complete processing and will be recorded in both the Activities section of Register and on the Transactions Tab of your Square Dashboard. Receipts associated with these payments will be sent to their recipients at this time.