To keep your payment records in one place, you can use the Square app to track cash, checks, gift cards from third-party services, and other types of payments.
There’s no fee to accept other tender types. When you accept other tender types, Square doesn’t process any funds and functions only as an organizational tool. Money for these transactions are exchanged directly between you and your customer and will not be deposited by Square.
Accept Cash, Checks, Third-Party Gift Cards, and Other Tender on a Tablet
- Enter the amount of the payment or select an item from your library to add to the current sale.
- Tap Charge.
- Select a Fast Cash amount or tap Custom to enter a different amount > Tender. If you’re using an iPad connected to a cash drawer, your cash drawer will automatically open when you tap Tender.
- You can also tap Other Payment Method and select the appropriate form of payment and add an optional note.
- If you’d like to accept multiple forms of tender, use Split Tender.
- Allow your customer to enter their phone number or email address to select a receipt option. If your iPad is connected to a receipt or kitchen printer, you also can print a receipt and kitchen ticket.
- You’ll see a final screen that reads All Done after the payment completes.
Accept Cash, Checks, Third-Party Gift Cards, and Other Tender on Smartphones
- Tap the keypad icon to add a custom sale amount, or add items to the sale from your item library.
- To complete the payment, tap Charge.
- Select the appropriate form of payment: Cash or Other. If you select cash, you’ll be prompted to enter the amount.
- Tap Tender.
- Have your customer select their receipt delivery method.
Troubleshooting Uncompleted Payments
If you accept Cash or Other Tender without an Internet connection, the payments will be recorded in the All Transactions section of the app under Unprocessed Payments.
When your Wi-Fi or data service is restored, the payments will complete processing and will be recorded in both the Activities section of the Square app, and on the Transactions of your Square Dashboard. Receipts associated with these payments will be sent to their recipients at this time.