Accept Cash, Checks, and Other Tender
To keep your payment records in one place, you can use the Square app to track cash, checks, gift cards from third-party services, and other types of payments.
There’s no fee to accept other tender types. When you accept other tender types, Square doesn’t process any funds and functions only as an organizational tool. Money for these transactions are exchanged directly between you and your customer and will not be transferred by Square.
You can also customize your checkout screen by toggling and reordering what Payment Types are available at checkout.
Accept Cash and Other Tender on a Tablet
- Enter the amount of the payment or select an item from your library to add to the current sale.
- Tap Charge.
- Under Accept Cash, select a preset amount or tap Custom to enter a different amount > Tender. If you’re using an iPad connected to a cash drawer, your cash drawer will automatically open when you tap Tender.
- You can also tap Other Payment Type or Other Gift Card or Certificate and add an optional note.
- If you’d like to accept multiple forms of tender, use Split Tender.
- Allow your customer to enter their phone number or email address to select a receipt option. If your iPad is connected to a receipt or kitchen printer, you can also print a receipt and kitchen ticket.
- You’ll see a final screen that reads All Done after the payment completes.
Accept Cash and Other Tender on Smartphones
- Tap the keypad icon to add a custom sale amount, or add items to the sale from your item library.
- To complete the payment, tap Charge.
- Tap Accept Cash. If you select cash, you’ll be prompted to enter the amount. You can also tap Other Payment Type or Other Gift Card or Certificate and add an optional note.
- Tap Tender.
- Have your customer select their receipt delivery method.