To keep your payment records in one place, you can use the Square app to track cash, cheques, gift cards from third-party services and other types of payments. There’s no fee to accept other tender types. When you accept other tender types, Square doesn’t transact any money and functions only as an organizational tool.
The Credit/Debit button from within the Other Tender payments screen is meant to help you track debit or credit payments processed outside of Square. Money for these transactions is exchanged directly between you and your customer and will not be deposited by Square.
Accept Cash, Cheques, Third-Party Gift Cards and Other Tender on a Tablet
- Enter the amount of the payment or select an item from your library to add to the current sale.
- Tap Charge.
- Select a Fast Cash amount or tap Custom to enter a different amount > Tender. If you’re using an iPad connected to a cash drawer, your cash drawer will automatically open when you tap Tender.
- You can also tap Other Payment Method and select the appropriate form of payment and add an optional note.
- If you’d like to accept multiple forms of tender, use Split Tender.
- Have your customer select their preferred receipt delivery option. If your iPad is connected to a receipt or kitchen printer, you also can print a receipt and kitchen ticket.
- You’ll see a final screen that reads All Done after the payment completes.
Accept Cash, Cheques, Third-Party Gift Cards and Other Tender on Smartphones
- Tap the keypad icon to add a custom sale amount or add items from your library.
- Tap Charge.
- Select the appropriate form of payment: Cash or Other. If you select cash, you’ll be prompted to enter the amount.
- Tap Tender.
Troubleshooting Uncompleted Payments
If you accept Cash or Other Tender without an Internet connexion, the payments will be recorded in the All Transactions section of the app under Uncompleted Payments.
When your Wi-Fi or data service is restored, the payments will finish processing and will be recorded in both the Transactions section of the app and in Transactions on your Square Dashboard. Receipts associated with these payments will be sent to their recipients at this time.