Accept Cash, Cheques, and Other Tender
To keep your payment records in one place, you can use the Square app to track cash, cheques, gift cards from third-party services and other types of payments. There’s no fee to record other payment types. When you record an Other Tender transaction, Square does not process funds. The Other Tender option functions only as an organizational tool.
Note: Selecting Credit/Debit > Record Card Payment in the Other Tender payments screen is meant to help you track debit or credit payments processed outside of Square. Money for these transactions is exchanged directly between you and your customer and will not be transferred by Square.
You can also customize your checkout screen by toggling and reordering what Payment Types are available at checkout.
Accept Cash and Other Tender on a Tablet
- Enter the amount of the payment or select an item from your library to add to the current sale.
- Tap Charge.
- Under Accept Cash, select a preset amount or tap Custom to enter a different amount > Tender. If you’re using an iPad connected to a cash drawer, your cash drawer will automatically open when you tap Tender.
- You can also tap Other Payment Type or Other Gift Card or Certificate and add an optional note.
- If you’d like to accept multiple forms of tender, use Split Tender.
- Allow your customer to enter their phone number or email address to select a receipt option. If your iPad is connected to a receipt or kitchen printer, you can also print a receipt and kitchen ticket.
- You’ll see a final screen that reads All Done after the payment completes.
Accept Cash and Other Tender on Smartphones
- Tap the keypad icon to add a custom sale amount, or add items to the sale from your item library.
- To complete the payment, tap Charge.
- Tap Accept Cash. If you select cash, you’ll be prompted to enter the amount. You can also tap Other Payment Type or Other Gift Card or Certificate and add an optional note.
- Tap Tender.
- Have your customer select their receipt delivery method.
Troubleshooting Uncompleted Payments
If you accept Cash or Other Tender without an Internet connexion, the payments will be recorded in the All Transactions section of the app under Uncompleted Payments.
When your Wi-Fi or data service is restored, the payments will finish processing and will be recorded in both the Transactions section of the app and in Transactions on your Square Dashboard. Receipts associated with these payments will be sent to their recipients at this time.