Privacy Notice for Users Who Apply or Sign Up for a Square Account or Other Services
For users who DO NOT apply or sign up for a Square Account, click here.
Last updated: December 10, 2021
Scope and Consent
Collection of Information
Our Services can be used by a broad range of industries in connection with their products, services, activities and administrative functions, whether they are involved in government, retail, health, politics, human resources, technology or anything else. Accordingly, a broad range of information (including information about you) may be uploaded to or sent through our Services.
Without information about you, we may not be able to provide you with the Services or the support you request.
Our website and Services are not targeted or directed at children under the age of 13 and do not knowingly collect or store any personal information from children under the age of 13.
Information You Provide
We collect information you provide when you apply or sign up for a Square Account and when you provide information as part of our identity or account verification process. We collect information about you, including:
- Identification information, such as your name, email address, mailing address, phone number, photograph, birthdate, passport, driver’s license, Social Insurance or other government-issued identification number;
- Financial information, including bank account and payment card numbers;
- Tax information, including withholding allowances and tax filing status; and
- Other historical, contact, and demographic information.
We also collect information you upload to or send through our Services, including:
- Information about products and services you may sell (including inventory, pricing and other data);
- Information you may provide about you or your business (including appointment, staffing availability, employee, payroll and contact data); and
- Information you may provide to a Seller using our Services.
Some of the information we collect is collected to comply with applicable laws and regulations, including anti-money laundering laws.
We collect information you provide when you participate in contests or promotions offered by Square or our partners, respond to our surveys or otherwise communicate with us.
Information We Collect from Your Use of our Services
We collect information about you when you use our Services, including:
- Transaction Information. When you use our Services to make, accept, request or record payments, we collect information about when and where the transactions occur, the names of the transacting parties, a description of the transactions, the payment amounts, billing and shipping information, and the devices and payment methods used to complete the transactions.
- Location Information. Through our applications, we collect information about the location of your device. For more information and to learn how to disable collection of location information, please see “Your Choices” below.
- Device Information. We collect specific information about your device when you access our Services, including your hardware model, operating system and version, unique device identifier, mobile network information, and information about the device’s interaction with our Services. We may also identify other software running on the device for anti-fraud and malware-prevention purposes (but will not collect any content from such software).
- Use Information. We collect information about how you use our Services, including your access time, browser type and language, and Internet Protocol (“IP”) address.
- Information Collected by Cookies and Web Beacons. We use various technologies to collect information when you use our Services, including sending cookies to your computer or mobile device and using web beacons. Cookies are small data files that are stored on your hard drive or in device memory when you visit a website or view a message. Among other things, cookies support the integrity of our registration process, retain your preferences and account settings, and help evaluate and compile aggregated statistics about user activity. We also may collect information using web beacons. Web beacons are electronic images that may be used in our Services or emails. We may use web beacons to deliver cookies, track the number of visits to our website, understand usage and campaign effectiveness, and determine whether an email has been opened and acted upon. For more information and to learn how to block or delete cookies used in the Services, please see “Your Choices” below.
Information We Collect from Other Sources
We also may collect information about you from third parties who are authorized to give information about you under the terms and privacy policies of their respective services. Such third parties that may share information with us include third-party verification services, credit bureaus, mailing list providers, and publicly available sources. In some circumstances, where lawful, this information may include your Social Insurance or other government-issued identification number. By applying or signing up for a Square Account, you authorize and consent to our obtaining from, and disclosing to, third parties, from time to time, any information about you in connection with the processing of any credit investigation, identity or account verification, fraud detection, or collection procedure, or as may otherwise be required by applicable law. This includes, without limitation, the receipt and exchange of account or credit-related information with any credit reporting agency or credit bureau, where lawful, and any person or corporation with whom you have had, currently have, or may have a financial relationship, including without limitation past, present, and future places of employment and personal reporting agencies.
Third-Party Advertising and Analytics
Use of Information
We may use information about you to provide, maintain, and improve our Services, such as:
- Processing or recording payment transactions;
- Displaying historical transaction or usage information;
- Developing new products and Services; and
- Delivering the information and support you request, including technical notices, security alerts, and support and administrative messages.
We may use information about you to improve, personalize, and facilitate your use of our Services. For example, when you sign up for a Square Account, we may associate certain information with your new account, such as information about other accounts you had or currently have with Square, and prior transactions you made using our Services. We also may use information about you to measure, customize, and enhance our Services, including the design, content, and functionality of our applications and websites, or to track and analyze trends and usage in connection with our Services.
We may use information about you to send news and information, or to conduct surveys and collect feedback, about our Services and to communicate with you about products, services, contests, promotions, discounts, incentives, and rewards offered by us and select partners, based on your communication preferences and applicable law. We also may contact you to resolve disputes, collect fees, and provide assistance for problems with our Services or your Square Account.
We may use information about you:
- To protect our rights or property, or the security or integrity of our Services;
- To enforce our General Terms or other applicable agreements or policies;
- To verify your identity (e.g., some of the government-issued identification numbers we collect are used for this purpose);
- To investigate, detect, and prevent fraud, security breaches, and other potentially prohibited or illegal activities;
- To comply with any applicable law, regulation, legal process, or governmental request; and
- For any other purpose disclosed to you in connection with our Services.
We may, and we may use third-party service providers to, process and store your information in the United States, Japan and other countries. While we take measures to ensure protection of your information, governments, courts, law enforcement or regulatory agencies in these other countries may be able to obtain disclosure of information through the laws of these countries.
Sharing of Information
We may share information about you as follows:
- With our group companies, including our parent company, Block, Inc., and other affiliates, for the purposes outlined above;
- With third parties to provide, maintain, and improve our Services, including service providers who access information about you to perform services on our behalf (e.g., fraud prevention, identity verification, and fee collection services), as well as financial institutions, payment networks, payment card associations, and other entities in connection with the payment process;
- With third parties that run advertising campaigns, contests, special offers, or other events or activities in connection with our Services;
- With other users of our Services with whom you interact through your own use of our Services. For example, we may share information when you make or accept a payment using our Services;
- In connection with, or during the negotiation of, any merger, sale of company stock or assets, financing, acquisition, divestiture, or dissolution of all or a portion of our business;
- If we believe that disclosure is reasonably necessary (i) to comply with any applicable law, regulation, legal process, or governmental request (e.g., from tax authorities), (ii) to enforce or comply with our General Terms or other applicable agreements or policies, (iii) to protect our rights or property, or the security or integrity of our Services, or (iv) to protect us, users of our Services or the public from harm or potentially prohibited or illegal activities; and
- With your consent.
We also may share aggregated information with third parties that does not specifically identify you or any individual user of our Services.
You may access, change, or correct information about you by logging into your Square account at any time or by making a request to us using the contact details below, in which case we may need to verify your identity before granting access or otherwise changing or correcting your information.
Deactivating Your Account
If you wish to deactivate your Square Account, you may do so by logging into your Square Account or by emailing us using the contact details provided below. Square generally retains information about you only as long as reasonably necessary to provide you the Services. However, even after you deactivate your Square Account, we may retain archived copies of information about you and any transactions or Services in which you may have participated for a period of time that is consistent with applicable law, or as we believe is reasonably necessary to comply with applicable law, regulation, legal process, or governmental request, to prevent fraud, to collect fees owed, to resolve disputes, to address problems with our Services, to assist with investigations, to enforce our General Terms or other applicable agreements or policies, or to take any other actions consistent with applicable law.
In order to provide certain mobile applications, we may require location information, so if you do not consent to collection of this information, then you cannot use our corresponding Services. You can stop our collection of location information at any time by changing the preferences on your mobile device. If you do so, our mobile application will no longer function. You also may stop our collection of location information via mobile application by following the standard uninstall process to remove all Square mobile applications from your device.
We try to make your experience with Square simple and meaningful. When you access or use the Services, our web server may send a cookie to your computer or mobile device (as the case may be). Certain cookies we use last only for the duration of your web or application session and expire when you close your browser or exit the application. Other cookies are used to remember you when you return to use the Services and, as such, will last longer.
- Remember that you have visited us or used the Services before. This means we can identify the number of unique visitors we receive, which allows us to make sure we have enough capacity to accommodate all of our users.
- Customize elements of the promotional layout and/or content of our website or application.
- Collect anonymous statistical information about how you use the Services (including the length of your web or application session) and the location from which you access the Services, so that we can improve the Services and learn which elements and functions of the Services are most popular with our users.
Some of the cookies used in the Services are set by us, and others are set by third parties who deliver services on our behalf.
Most web and mobile device browsers are set to automatically accept cookies by default. However, you can change your browser settings to prevent automatic acceptance of cookies, or to notify you each time a cookie is set.
You also can learn more about cookies by visiting http://www.allaboutcookies.org, which includes additional useful information on cookies and how to block cookies on different types of browsers and mobile devices. Please note, however, that by blocking or deleting cookies used in the Services, you may not be able to take full advantage of the Services.
You may opt out of receiving promotional messages from Square by following the instructions in those messages, or by changing your notification settings by logging into your Square Account. If you decide to opt out, we may still send you non-promotional communications, such as digital receipts and messages about your account or our ongoing business relations.
Nevertheless, Square cannot guarantee that unauthorized third parties will never be able to defeat our security measures or use your personal information for improper purposes. In the event that any information in our possession or under our control is compromised as a result of a security breach, we will take reasonable steps to investigate the situation and, where appropriate, notify those individuals whose information may have been compromised and take other steps in accordance with applicable laws or regulations.
For more information about our security practices, please visit https://squareup.com/ca/en/security.
1455 Market Street, Suite 600
San Francisco, CA 94103, U.S.A.
Attention: Privacy Department
If you have any questions or concerns regarding our policy, or if you believe our policy or applicable laws relating to the protection of your personal information have not been respected, you may file a complaint with our Privacy Department listed above, and we will respond to let you know who will be handling your matter and when you can expect a further response. We may request additional details from you regarding your concerns and may need to engage or consult with other parties in order to investigate and address your issue. We will keep records of your request and any resolution. If you are dissatisfied with the results of our investigation or any resulting corrective measures, you may be entitled to make a written submission to the Privacy Commissioner in your jurisdiction or to the Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada at the address below:
Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada
30 Victoria Street