With every successful payment, you can provide customers with a digital receipt (text message or email) or a printed receipt.
|New to Square? Watch our free, two-part education series to learn everything you need to know.|
Enable Digital Receipts
The option to send digital receipts is automatically enabled in your Square Point of Sale app, but you can always turn them off or back on:
- From the Square app, visit Settings > Signature .
- Toggle on Skip Receipt either on or off depending on your preference.
Send Digital Receipts
- Authorize the payment by processing your customer’s card or recording another form of tender on the payment screen.
- Have your customer enter their phone number or email address on the receipt screen.
- Tap Send.
If your customer entered an email address to receive a receipt from a Square merchant in the past, they may already be opted in to automatic receipts. These customers won’t be asked to enter their contact information after a sale, and a receipt will automatically be sent to their preferred email address.
If a customer doesn’t receive a text message receipt, one or more of the following may have occurred:
- The customer doesn’t have a valid text messaging plan.
- The customer’s phone carrier has blocked the text.
- The customer has a restricted phone number.
In these cases, you can always resend the receipt to a valid email address.
Resend Digital Receipts
You can resend a receipt to a different email address or phone number at any time from your online Square Dashboard or from the Square Point of Sale app.
From the Square App
- Tap the following icon in the navigation bar: or the down arrow at the top of the Square Register:
- Tap Transactions.
- Locate and tap the payment > Issue Receipt.
From Your Online Square Dashboard
- Visit Transactions.
- Use the date selector tool to locate a specific payment.
- Click on the payment > Send Receipt.
Note: Resending a receipt won’t affect a customer’s automatic receipt settings.
Receipt Best Practices
- Make sure not to send your customers’ receipts to yourself. You’ll receive a payment confirmation after every successful transaction, and you can view payment details from your online Square Dashboard.
- If the email address entered for receipt delivery is no longer active or is incorrect, Square will need to unlink this information from your customer’s payment card. Have your customer contact us for help.
- To edit a receipt destination at the time of sale, have your customer tap the phone number or email address on the receipt screen and input their new information.
- For automatic receipts, learn how customers can update their delivery address.