86’ing and Item Availability
As your inventory changes over the course of the day, you can update availability right in your Square for Restaurants POS App.
To 86 an item on the go, log in to your Square for Restaurants app:
- Select a saved ticket or create a new sale.
- Tap Actions > Item Availability.
- Use the search tool or select an item from the list.
- Choose Available or Unavailable > Save.
You can also press and hold the item tile that you’d like to make unavailable and choose Unavailable.
If an item is only temporarily unavailable, you can select Make Available at End of Day.
Square for Restaurants inventory management gives you basic tools to keep a clear count of in-stock items in your item library. For items with inventory enabled, the stock count will update based on sales from the Square for Restaurants app. With inventory enabled, you can receive alerts in your dashboard for low-stock or sold out items, so you’ll know when to reorder and restock.
Keep in mind, inventory management works best for finished goods, like beer, wine, or merchandise.
New to managing inventory? Make sure to check out our best practices for inventory management.
You can view your inventory history and gain insights into the flow of your inventory by viewing historical adjustments.
To get started:
- Visit Items in your online Square Dashboard.
- Click on a specific item to bring up the item details page.
- Select View Inventory History.
You can filter by location, adjustment type, and item variation.