Set Up Team Members with Square for Restaurants
With Team Management, you can maintain staff timecards, control team permissions, and access advanced reporting tools.
If you are new to Team Management, check out our getting started guide.
Note: Team Management is now included in the Square for Restaurants Plus plan. Review the full comparison of features between Square POS, the Square for Restaurants Free Plan and Plus Plan.
Create a New Team Member Profile
- From the Team Members list in your online Square Dashboard, click Create Team Member.
- Enter the member’s name and personal information > Save.
- Under Compensation, select whether this team member is exempt from overtime. This is only necessary if you are tracking timecards with Square. Assign or create a job title and enter their wage.
- To allow your team member to log in to the Square app to accept payments, clock in/out using the Square app, and/or access the online Square Dashboard, click Enable Permissions and select or create a permission set from the dropdown menu.
- To allow your team member to sign into the Square app and clock in/out using a passcode, enter a custom 4-digit passcode or click Generate to create one at random.
- If your team member’s permission set allows them to access the Square Dashboard or the Square app on their own device, enter the email address they will use to log in. This will send the team member an email inviting them to create a password for their account.
- If a team member has been given access to both the Square app and online Square Dashboard, they’ll need a Personal Passcode and an email address they’ll use to sign in.
- Once finished, click Save.
If applicable, this team member will be invited via email to create their own login for accessing online Square Dashboard and/or the Square Point of Sale app on their personal device. Team members will also have the option to download the Square Team app to clock in/out, view their hours worked via timecards, view their pay for the week, and view/edit their team profile — all from their own iPhones or Android devices, at no additional charge.
Multiple Job Titles
If a team member has multiple titles at your restaurant, you can track their time and hourly wage separately. For example, let’s say one of your team members works as a server Saturday and Sunday, but works as a bartender Tuesday, Thursday, Friday — multiple job titles allows your team members to select a permission set when they clock in at the beginning of their shift from the Restaurants POS app.
To set up multiple job titles for a team member:
- Head to your Team Members in your online Square Dashboard and select a team member.
- Under Compensation, enter a job title and wage.
- If they perform more than one job, click Add Job, then enter a job title and wage.
Once you save your settings, the new job title(s) will reflect in the Restaurants app when your team member clocks in.
Note: A team member’s job title is not associated with any particular set of permissions and is only used to associate time worked with the correct job. To set permissions and limit account access, assign them a permission set from the Permissions section of your online Square Dashboard.
Read more about job titles and timecards with Square.
Team Permission Sets
Creating a permission group allows you to customize the level of access and limit actions your team members can take on both the Square for Restaurants app and online Square Dashboard. Once you customize a permission set, each team member is assigned to the permission set will have the same level of access.
Note: A passcode is required to sign into both Square for Restaurants Free and Restaurants Plus. Team permissions are included within Restaurants Plus only. If using Restaurants Free, either create a general “Team” employee passcode, or apply the “Team Permission” set to individual employee profiles.
What’s the difference between job title and permission set?
A Job Title refers to the name of a position with a corresponding wage. Once you create a job title, team members can choose their job title at the beginning of their shift when they clock in from the Square for Restaurants POS app — allowing you to track multiple labor costs using Square Timecards.
Assigning a permission set will determine your team member’s permissions. Team members can have multiple wages (with job titles), but only one permission set.
- Visit Team > Permissions in your Square Dashboard.
- Click Create Permission Set.
- Enter a name for the permission set, such as “Server” or “Host”.
- Select all of the appropriate permissions for each permission set you create.
Keep in mind, not every permission displayed in the permissions list is applicable to Square for Restaurants, and some of the language may appear slightly different in the permissions list — for example, “open tickets” is referring to “checks.”
To help you navigate what your team permissions should be set to, check out this table with some of the most common team permissions we’ve seen restaurants use.
|View All Completed Sales Transactions For All Team Members||ON||ON||ON||OFF||OFF|
|Apply Restricted Discounts and Comps to a Transaction||ON||ON||ON||OFF||ON|
|Configure Checkout Settings||ON||OFF||OFF||OFF||OFF|
|Delete or Void Saved Items in Open Tickets||ON||ON||ON||OFF||OFF|
|Items - For All Locations||ON||OFF||OFF||OFF||OFF|
|Manually Adjust Taxes During a Transaction||ON||OFF||OFF||OFF||OFF|
|View Cash Drawers||ON||OFF||OFF||OFF||OFF|
|Configure Device Security Settings||ON||OFF||OFF||OFF||OFF|
|View All Open Tickets For All Team Members||ON||ON||OFF||OFF||OFF|
|Reopen Closed Tickets*||ON||ON||ON||OFF||ON|
|Full Invoices Access||ON||OFF||OFF||OFF||OFF|
|View, Edit, Create, and Delete Customer Directory Data||ON||OFF||OFF||OFF||OFF|
|Settle All Transactions Awaiting Tip||ON||OFF||OFF||OFF||OFF|
|Add and Remove Customer Cards on File||ON||ON||ON||OFF||ON|
|Update Customer Loyalty Status||ON||OFF||OFF||OFF||OFF|
|Transfer Funds Using Instant Transfer||ON||OFF||OFF||OFF||OFF|
|View Expected Amount In Cash Drawer||ON||ON||OFF||OFF||OFF|
|View All Sales Reporting and Transactions on Dashboard||ON||ON||ON||OFF||ON|
- When Reopen Closed Checks is enabled, team members can reopen tickets they own. To allow a team member to reopen tickets owned by other team members, enable View All Open Tickets For All Team Members
Once you’ve set up your team members and permission sets, you can track their time worked using Square’s Time Card Management. Learn more about getting started with Square Timecards.