Read about the cards you can accept when you use Square.
Square works with any US-issued and most internationally-issued magstripe or chip cards bearing a Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover, JCB, or UnionPay logo. The following card types are accepted:
- Debit (processed like credit)
Square processes all cards with the same standard rates.
Note: JCB is not supported with the contactless and chip card reader at this time.
Accept Prepaid Cards
Square can process prepaid cards bearing any of the logos above at our low 2.75% per-swipe rate or 3.5% + .15¢ manual-entry rate. Any remaining balance from prepaid cards will display on the receipt.
Note: When manually entering a prepaid card, check that your customer has registered the card with a billing address and zip/postal code, which can be done by contacting the card issuer. Information on how to register the card may also be available on the back of the card.
Accept International Cards
Square can process most internationally-issued cards bearing any of the logos above via manual entry. To manually process an international card, enter the card number, expiration date, CVV, and postal or ZIP code.
Keep the following in mind when processing international cards:
- To switch between numbers and letters on your device:
- iOS: Tap ABC or 123 at the lower left of the screen
- Android: Tap the keyboard icon to the right of the payment card field
- If you experience issues processing an internationally-issued card, have the cardholder contact their issuer.
- Cardholders may be charged for currency conversion by their card issuer since payments must be processed in your country’s official currency.
- You must be located in the country where you activated your Square account to process payments.
Note: Invoices and Online Store payments can’t be completed by customers located in a different country.
Accept HSA and FSA Cards
Licensed health care providers and pharmacies can process Health Savings Account (HSA) and Flexible Spending Account (FSA) cards with Square. We don’t currently support EBT or other benefits cards.
If you are a healthcare provider and you selected the Medical Practitioner, Medical Services, or Dentistry business category during the signup process, you should have no trouble accepting HSA or FSA cards. If you believe your business category needs to be updated, contact us.
Note: Daycare centers and childcare services are unable to accept HSA and FSA cards through Square at this time.
Accept Government and Military Cards
We cannot guarantee approval of government or military cards as approval is dependent on each card issuer.