Square works with any UK-issued and most international tap, chip and PIN, magnetic stripe cards with a Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Maestro, Visa Electron or Vpay logo. The following card types are accepted:
Square processes all cards with the same standard rate.
Note: The following card types aren’t currently supported: Discover, JCB or Union Pay.
Accept Prepaid Cards
The Square Point of Sale app and Square Terminal can process prepaid cards with any of the accepted logos listed above at our standard 1.75% per-transaction rate.
Note: When manually entering a prepaid card, check that your customer has registered the card with a billing address and postcode (required to process the card), which can be done by contacting the card issuer. Information on how to register the card may also be available on the back of the card.
Accept International Cards
Square can process most internationally-issued cards with a Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Maestro, Visa Electron or Vpay logo.
Square Reader and Square Terminal accepts chip and PIN cards, contactless cards and devices, along with international magnetic stripe card payments. To accept international magnetic stripe cards, insert the Magnetic Stripe Card Reader, included with your Square Reader, into your device’s headphone jack and swipe the card.
You can also use the manual entry feature to process an international card. To do so, make sure you have the card number, CVV, expiration date and the postcode
Keep the following in mind when processing international cards:
- To switch between numbers and letters on your device:
- iOS: Tap ABC or 123 at the lower left of the screen
- Android: Tap the keyboard icon to the right of the payment card field
- While most internationally-issued cards are accepted, processing them is subject to issuer approval. If you experience issues processing an internationally-issued card, ask the cardholder to contact their card issuer.
- Cardholders may be charged for currency conversion by their card issuer since payments are processed in your country’s official currency.
- In order to process payments, you need to be located in the country where you activated your Square account.