Learn how to sign up for Square Register online or in app, and review the information required to activate a Square account. If you have multiple businesses, learn how to set up multiple accounts with Square.
Watch the following video for step-by-step instructions on signing up for Square Register:
Sign Up Online
- Go to squareup.com > click Get Started.
- Enter and confirm your email address, create a password, > click Create Account.
- Select your business type from the drop-down list. Enter your business and personal information. Click Continue.
- You’ll be asked to input your personal and business information and to answer a few questions to verify your identity. When complete, click Continue.
- Enter your phone number or email address. We'll send a link to your mobile device to download the Square Register app. Keep in mind that you can sign in to multiple devices using the same email address and password.
- Tap the email or text message link to download the app to your mobile device.
Sign Up In App
- Make sure you download Square Register to your mobile device.
- Tap New Square Account to start the activation process.
- You’ll be asked to input your personal and business information and to answer a few questions to verify your identity.
Once you finish, you can immediately start accepting payments via manual entry. A reader will be shipped, and should arrive within 10 business days, or you can pick one up at a participating retail store.
Information Required to Sign Up
Federal law requires that all financial institutions obtain, verify, and record information that identifies each person who opens an account.
Current credit card regulations require our customers to be at least 18 years of age, so you'll need to be 18 or older to create a Square account.
The following information is required to activate a Square account:
|Social Security number||Yes|
|US-based bank account*||Yes|
|Date of birth||Yes|
|US mailing address**||Yes|
|Merchant bank account||
* A US bank account is required for your funds to be deposited.
** A PO Box can be used for shipping but not as a home address for activation.
*** An EIN is not required but is recommended for businesses and organizations.
**** Square meets Level 1 PCI Data Security Standards.
Note: The option to enter an EIN does not replace the SSN requirement. If you're not able to provide the information above, you won't be able to accept card payments, but you can still use Square to track cash payments and provide your customers with email and text receipts.
Social Security Number Requirement
We are required by banking industry regulations and federal law to ask for the Social Security number, date of birth, and full name for each of our primary account holders. If you are Mobile Staff, or have been added as an employee, you will not need to provide this information.
Even if you plan on using Square as a business, there is no way to create a Square account without providing a valid SSN.
For tax purposes, you can also include your Employment Identification Number during signup. Having your Square account associated with your business EIN is advantageous when it comes to completing your taxes, and it helps us identify you as a business. This information also enables us to negotiate better rates and more features with our underwriting partners for all Square merchants.
Choose a Business Type
During the signup process you'll need to classify how you'll use Square by selecting your business type or Merchant Category Code. Square will use this information to provide you with the best features to help you grow your business. If you've already set your business type and would like to change it, contact us.
For a more comprehensive look at the many features available within Square Register, view the full Square Register Guide.