Learn how to sign up for Square online or in app, and review the information required to process credit cards. If you have multiple businesses, you can set up individual accounts for each business.
Sign Up Online
- Go to squareup.com > click Get Started.
- Enter and confirm your email address, create a password > click Continue.
- Select your business type from the drop-down list. Enter your business and personal details to confirm your identity. When complete, click Continue.
- Add your business partner details if applicable.
- You can place an order for a Square Reader or skip this step and purchase one at a later time.
Sign Up In App
- Make sure you’ve downloaded Square Point of Sale to your mobile device.
- Tap Create Account to start the activation process.
- You’ll be asked to input your personal and business details and to answer a few questions to verify your identity.
Once you finish, you can immediately start accepting payments via manual entry. If you purchased a Square Reader during sign up, it should arrive within 2-7 business days, or you can purchase a reader from one of our retail partners.
Note: If you have trouble downloading the app, make sure you’re using a supported device.
Details Required to Sign Up
Australian law requires that all financial institutions obtain, verify and record details that identify each person who opens an account.
Current credit card regulations require our customers to be at least 18 years of age, so you’ll need to be 18 or older to create a Square account.
The following details are required to activate a Square account:
|Government issued ID (passport, driver’s licence or Medicare card)||Yes|
|Australian-based bank account*||Yes|
|Date of birth||Yes|
|Merchant bank account||Optional|
* An Australian bank account is required for your funds to be deposited.
** A PO Box can be used for hardware shipping but not as a home address for activation.
*** Square meets Level 1 PCI Data Security Standards.
Note: Entering an ABN or ACN does not replace the personal identification number requirement. If you’re not able to provide the details above, you won’t be able to accept card payments, but you can still use Square to track cash payments and provide your customers with email and text receipts.
Choose a Business Type
During the sign-up process, you’ll need to classify how you’ll use Square by selecting your business type or Merchant Category Code. Square will use these details to provide you with the best features to help you grow your business. If you’ve already set your business type and would like to change it, contact us.
Square accounts can be created under these business types:
- Individual/sole trader (with or without an ABN)
- Partnerships (with an ABN)
- Companies (with an ABN)
At this time, other business types are not supported for payment processing with Square.
Personal Identification Number Requirement
We are required by banking industry regulations and applicable law to ask for a personal identification number from a government issued ID, date of birth and full name for each of our primary account holders. Even if you plan on using Square as a business, there is no way to create a Square account without providing a valid personal identification number.
For tax purposes, we ask that you include your ABN during signup, if applicable. Having your Square account associated with your business ABN is advantageous when it comes to completing your taxes, and it helps us identify you as a business. This information also enables us to negotiate better rates and more features with our underwriting partners for all Square merchants.
For a more comprehensive look at the many features available within Square Point of Sale, view the full Square Point of Sale Guide.