Sign Up for Square Point of Sale
Make sure you have everything you need to sign up for Square online or in app. If you have multiple businesses, learn how to set up multiple accounts with Square.
Sign Up Online
- Go to squareup.com/ca and click Get Started.
- Enter and confirm your email address, create a password and click Continue.
- Enter the address where you’d like us to ship your free Square Reader. If you’ve already received a reader, select I have a card reader and continue.
- Select your business type from the drop-down list. Enter your business and personal information and continue.
- Next you’ll be asked to answer a few questions to verify your identity. When complete, click Finish.
- Enter your phone number or email address. We’ll send you a link on your mobile device to download the Square Point of Sale app. Keep in mind that you can sign in to multiple devices using the same email address and password.
- Tap the email or text message link to download the app to your mobile device.
Sign Up In App
- Make sure you download Square Point of Sale to your mobile device.
- Tap New Square account to start the activation process.
- You’ll be asked to input your personal and business information and to answer a few questions to verify your identity.
Once you’ve finished, you can start accepting payments via manual entry. Your reader will be shipped, and should arrive within 5-10 business days, or you can pick one up at a participating retail store.
Note: If you have trouble downloading the app, make sure you’re using a supported device.
Information Required to Sign Up
Federal law requires that all financial institutions obtain, verify and record information that identifies each person who opens an account.
Current credit card regulations require our customers to be at least 18 years of age, so you’ll need to be 18 or older to create a Square account.
The following information is required to activate a Square account:
|First and surname*||Yes|
|Email and password||Yes|
|Social Insurance Number**||Optional|
|Canadian-based bank account***||Yes|
|Date of birth||Yes|
|Canadian mailing address****||Yes|
|Business name and category||Yes|
|PCI assessment||No, Square meets Level 1 PCI Data Security Standards.|
* Do not include accent marks, symbols, or special characters, as this may cause ID Verification to fail.
** While optional, providing an SIN can help expedite the approval process.
*** A Canadian bank account that processes money in CAD is required for your money to be deposited.
**** A home address is necessary for activation, but you can add a PO Box for shipping.
***** Providing a GST/HST/QST is recommended for businesses and organizations.
Note: If you’re unable to provide the information above, you won’t be able to accept card payments, but you can still use Square to track cash payments and provide your customers with email and text receipts.
Choose a Business Type
During the signup process you’ll need to classify how you’ll use Square by selecting your business type or Merchant Category Code. Square will use this information to provide you with the best features to help you grow your business. If you’ve already set your business type and would like to change it, contact us.
For a more comprehensive look at the many features available within Square Point of Sale, view the full Square Point of Sale Guide.