2-Step Verification is a tool that provides an extra layer of security for your Square Account, protecting your account from unauthorised access. All you’ll need is an authenticator app.
How It Works
With 2-Step Verification, you and your team members will be asked to enter a verification code each time you sign in to your Square Account.
If you don’t want to enter a verification code every time, select “Remember this device for 30 days” in your online Square Dashboard. Every 30 days, you’ll be asked to sign in with a verification code.
Note: Only select the option to “Remember this device for 30 days” from a computer or device that you own or control. Don’t set this option on public devices. To cancel a 30 day session, reset your Square account password.
Set Up 2-Step Verification
Turning on 2-Step Verification for an account will automatically require all team members to set up the feature and use it to log in to the account. To enable 2-Step Verification:
- Sign in to Account & Settings > Personal Information in your online Square Dashboard.
- Click Activate 2-Step Verification.
Select the Authentication App.
- Download the Google Authenticator App.
- Scan the barcode into your Authentication App.
- Enter Verification Code generated in your Authentication App.
- Click Verify.
Team Members and 2-Step Verification
Team members will always be required to use 2-Step Verification to sign in to the online Dashboard.
To manage 2-Step Verification settings for the Square Point of Sale app, follow the steps below:
- Sign in to Account & Settings > Security in your online Square Dashboard > click Enable for All Team Members.
- Set your permissions by selecting Require team members to use 2-Step Verification or Allow team members to skip 2-Step Verification.
Note: This feature applies to all team members and can’t be made optional for a select few.
If you’re running into trouble using 2-step verification, review these troubleshooting tips.
New Team Members
If you enable 2-Step Verification on your account, new team members will automatically see 2-Step Verification setup when they create a new team member account.
Existing Team Members
After 2-step verification is enabled on an account, existing team members will receive an email with instructions on how to complete setup. If team members don’t turn on 2-step verification after reading the email, they’ll be required to do so the next time they try to sign in to the Square Account.
Edit or Disable 2-Step Verification
Full Access Team Members can change the 2-Step Verification settings of an account. To do so:
- Sign in to Account & Settings > Security in your online Square Dashboard > click Change 2-Step Verification Settings.
- Update your settings or click Disable 2-Step Verification to remove the feature entirely for you and all team members.
Learn more about protecting your Square account information.