2-step verification is a tool that provides an extra layer of security for your Square Account, protecting your account from unauthorized access. All you’ll need is a Canadian mobile phone number.
How It Works
With 2-Step Verification, you and your employees will be asked to enter a verification code (sent via SMS) each time you sign in to your Square Account.
If you don’t want to enter a verification code every time, select “Remember this device for 30 days” in your Square Dashboard. Every 30 days, you’ll be asked to sign in with a verification code.
Note: Only select the option to “Remember this device for 30 days” from a computer or device that you own or control. Don’t set this option on public devices. To cancel a 30 day session, reset your Square account password.
Set Up 2-Step Verification
Turning on 2-Step Verification for an account will automatically require all employees to set up the feature and use it to log in to the account. To enable 2-Step Verification:
- Sign in to your online dashboard and navigate to Account & Settings.
- Click Activate 2-Step Verification.
Select either SMS or the Authentication App.
- Add your primary mobile phone number > click Next.
- You’ll then receive a verification code via text.
- Enter the code in the field on your dashboard or your Square Point of Sale app.
- Click Verify.
Using the Authentication App:
- Download the Google Authenticator App.
- Scan the barcode into your Authentication App.
- Enter Verification Code generated in your Authentication App.
- Click Verify.
Employees and 2-Step Verification
Although employees will always be required to use 2-Step Verification to sign in to the online Dashboard, an administrator can allow employees to skip the 2-Step Verification step to sign in to your Square app. Making it optional for employees to access your Square app isn’t suggested, as it will reduce the security of your account, but the option is helpful if an employee doesn’t have a cell phone or can’t receive SMS messages.
To manage 2-Step Verification settings for the Square Point of Sale app, follow the steps below:
Go to your online Dashboard and click “Enable for All Employees.”
Set your permissions by selecting “Require employees to use 2-Step Verification” or “Allow employees to skip 2-Step Verification.”
Note: This feature applies to all employees and can’t be made optional for a select few.
If you’re running into trouble using 2-step verification, review these troubleshooting tips.
If you enable 2-Step Verification on your account, new employees will automatically see 2-Step Verification setup when they create a new employee account.
After 2-step verification is enabled on an account, existing employees will receive an email with instructions on how to complete setup. If employees don’t turn on 2-step verification after reading the email, they’ll be required to do so the next time they try to sign in to the Square Account, unless the account administrator set the option to skip this step.
Edit or Disable 2-Step Verification
Account administrators can change the 2-Step Verification settings of an account. To do so:
- From Account & Settings on the online Dashboard, click Change 2-Step Verification Settings.
- Update your settings or click Disable 2-Step Verification to remove the feature entirely for you and all employees.
- From here, you can also remove or add new phone numbers to receive 2-Step Verification codes.
Learn more about protecting your Square account information.