Print Order Tickets
Connect a printer to your device to print order ticket stubs for customers, or send order tickets to your kitchen.
If you accept pick-up orders with the Square app on an iPad, you can also automatically print remote order tickets.
Turn On Order Tickets and Order Ticket Stubs
Order tickets will automatically print after every sale, even if a customer receipt isn’t printed. Note that on Terminal, you’ll have to tap the “print receipts” button after the transaction is completed to print order tickets on the internal Terminal printer. This is not the case, however, if you print to external printers from Terminal.
Before you turn on Order Tickets, learn how to connect a printer to your:
Note: For printing orders in a kitchen, we recommend the Star SP742ML impact printer, which is designed to handle the high-heat environment of a kitchen, and supports printing in both black and red. Impact printers don’t print receipts, only order tickets.
Once your printer is connected, follow the steps below to turn on Order Tickets:
- From the Square app, tap the three horizontal lines in the upper-right corner to navigate to the menu.
- Tap Settings > Hardware > Printers.
- Select a printer and toggle Order Tickets and/or Order Ticket Stubs on.
- Select categories to print.
- Choose whether ticket numbers will be auto-assigned or manually entered.
This will keep your lines moving quickly, as you won’t have to manually add names to order tickets.
To automatically print order tickets:
- From the Square app, tap the three horizontal lines in the upper right corner to navigate to the menu or the down arrow at the top of the Square Register.
- Tap Settings > Orders.
- Toggle on Automatically Print New Orders.
Reprint Order Tickets
You can reprint an order ticket from the Transactions tab or open ticket list.
To reprint from your transactions:
- From the Square app, tap the three horizontal lines in the upper right corner to navigate to the menu.
- Tap Transactions.
- Locate the order you’d like to reprint > tap Reprint Ticket.
Note: For closed tickets, the option to reprint will only appear if the order is completed in the last 1 hour.
To reprint from your open tickets:
- Select Tickets.
- Tap Edit.
- Select ticket to reprint > tap Reprint Ticket.
Printing to Multiple Printers
If you’re using multiple printers, you can also send specific items to a selected printer. For example, send drink orders directly to the printer located at your bar. When configuring your printers, make sure you select which item categories will print for each one.
To do so:
- From the Square app or Terminal, tap the three horizontal lines in the upper-right corner to navigate to the menu.
- Tap Settings > Hardware > Printers > select your desired printer.
- Toggle Order Tickets on.
- Select either Enter Customer Number or Name or Auto-Assign Ticket Numbers.
- Choose the categories you’d like to print under “Include on Ticket.”
- Repeat on additional printers.
Printing Single Items per Order Ticket
With the Square Point of Sale app on your iOS device, you can assign item categories to different printer stations and print a single item per order ticket. This is useful if you need to send specific items to different prep stations or service counters to fulfil orders.
To get started, be sure to assign your items to specific categories. Once complete, you can assign categories to print at each station. To do so:
- From the Square app, tap the three horizontal lines.
- Tap Settings > Hardware > Printers.
- Under Use this printer for, navigate to either “In-Person Order Tickets” or Online Order Tickets, and toggle on Use this printer for in-person order tickets or Use this printer for online order tickets, respectively.
- Toggle Single Item Per Ticket on if you want to print a single item per ticket. This is useful if you need to send specific items to different prep stations or service counters to fulfil orders.
- Select the category(s) you’d like to print at this printer station. Single item printing will only apply to the categories you select.
- Tap Save.
Repeat these steps for each of your printer stations.
Note: Compact tickets (saving printer paper) are not yet available in Order Manager.
You can also print single items per order ticket with orders received from your Square Online site. Check out more on printing and managing online orders.