Print Order Tickets
Connect a printer to your device to print order ticket stubs for customers or send order tickets to your kitchen.
If you accept pickup orders with the Square app on an iPad, you can also automatically print remote order tickets.
Turn On Order Tickets and Order Ticket Stubs
Order tickets will automatically print after every sale, even if a customer receipt isn’t printed. Note that on Terminal, you’ll have to tap the “print receipts” button after the transaction is completed to print order tickets on the internal Terminal printer. This is not the case, however, if you print to external printers from Terminal.
Before you turn on Order Tickets, learn how to connect a printer to your:
Note: For printing orders in a kitchen, we recommend the Star SP742ML impact printer, which is designed to handle the high-heat environment of a kitchen and supports printing in both black and red. Impact printers don’t print receipts, only order tickets.
Once your printer is connected, follow the steps below to turn on Order Tickets:
- From the Square app, tap:
- Tap Settings > Printers.
- Select a printer and toggle Order Tickets and/or Order Ticket Stubs on.
- Select categories to print.
- Choose whether ticket numbers will be auto-assigned or manually entered.
To automatically print order tickets:
- From the Square app, tap: or the down arrow at the top of the Square Register:
- Tap Settings > Remote Orders.
- Toggle on Automatically Print New Orders.
Note: If you are using Square Terminal, you’ll only be able to enable Order Tickets and Order Ticket Stubs. All other receipt types will print directly from your Terminal’s built in printer.
Transactions where you swipe a mag-stripe card or insert a chip card will automatically populate customer names on kitchen tickets if you’ve opted to manually enter text on tickets vs auto assign numbers.
This will keep your lines moving quickly, as you won’t have to manually add names to order tickets.
Reprint Order Tickets
You can reprint an order ticket from current cart, Transactions tab or open ticket list.
To reprint an order from the current basket:
- Tap the down arrow in the top right.
- Tap Reprint Ticket.
To reprint from your transactions:
- From the Square app, tap: .
- Tap Transactions.
- Locate the order you’d like to reprint > tap Reprint Ticket.
Note: For closed tickets, the option to reprint will only appear if the order is completed in the last 1 hour.
To reprint from your open tickets:
- Select Tickets.
- Tap Edit.
- Select ticket to reprint > tap Reprint Ticket.
Printing to Multiple Printers
If you’re using multiple printers, you can also send specific items to a selected printer. For example, send drink orders directly to the printer located at your bar. When configuring your printers, make sure to select which item categories will print for each one.
To do so:
- From the Square app, tap .
- Tap Settings > Printers > select your desired printer.
- Toggle Order Tickets on.
- Select either Enter Customer Number or Name or Auto-Assign Ticket Numbers.
- Choose the categories you’d like to print under “Include on Ticket.”
- Repeat on additional printers.