If you or your employees are just getting started with Square (welcome!), it helps to know the basics before the morning rush hits. Here are some of our top tips to help first-timers get to grips with the essentials.
First, find a quiet time to try out the payment process and show your staff how everything works. Practise makes perfect — sending an invoice or refunding a payment for the first time goes a lot smoother when there’s not a line snaking out of the door. You can swipe your own card or input the information to demonstrate different payment types. Then get to practising those refunds so your demo doesn’t empty your wallet.
Talk your staff through the five main ways you can accept a customer’s payment using Square:
- Swipe a payment through your Square Reader, which plugs into your Android device, iPhone or iPad.
- Swipe a payment card on your Square Stand, a stationary iPad-powered register.
- Enter the card information manually in Square Point of Sale.
- Send an online invoice directly from Square Point of Sale or from your Dashboard.
- Accept and record cash, cheques or other tender.
You want your employees to be ready to solve any problems before they arise, so be sure to talk to them about how to troubleshoot any potential issues. That way, if your Wi-Fi kicks out or there’s a complicated refund, they’ll be equipped to easily deal with the situation.
You can also follow the Square Support Twitter feed to learn more tips and tricks. At team meetings, you can highlight any advice that you thought was helpful or share tips that address any questions your employees have about the system.