Celebrating the Boldest Businesses in America
SAN FRANCISCO, September 13, 2016 –Today Square announced its business awards program, The BRASSYs, designed to recognize entrepreneurs who turned a business idea into a livelihood. Five top sellers from across the country will each be awarded a $10,000 cash prize, a Business Power Pack, worth $2,500 in prizes that support the growth of their business needs, and mentorship from industry leaders.
To participate in the competition, business owners must submit their stories of perseverance, vision, and boldness, by October 9, 2016. Square will choose 35 finalists based on award criteria and customer vote. From the 35 finalists, the judges will select the top five winners, using the criteria of mission, innovation and originality, community involvement, and customer love.
This year’s winners will each receive a $10,000 cash prize, mentorship from the judges at a special one-day Seller Summit at Square Headquarters in San Francisco, Square business tools, and a Business Power Pack from participating partners: Avvo, Google Ads, Indeed, Magisto, Twitter, and more.
The judging panel, made up of business luminaries, includes:
* Reshma Saujani - Founder and CEO of Girls Who Code
* David Viniar - Former Chief Financial Officer of Goldman Sachs and member of Square’s Board of Directors
* Roy Choi - Co-owner, co-founder, and chef of Kogi BBQ, Chego!, A-Frame, Commissary, POT and LocoL; named best chef in 2010 by Food and Wine magazine
* Todd Carmichael - CEO and Co-founder of La Colombe Coffee Roasters
“Brassy means ‘shamelessly bold’ and perfectly describes American small businesses,” said Kevin Burke, Head of Marketing. “We’re excited to offer an awards program that celebrates businesses that honor the highest in quality, innovation, and community support.”
BRASSYs Key Dates:
* September 13 - October 9: Business submissions and customer voting period
* Week of October 24: Square selects 35 finalists based on contest criteria and public vote
* Week of November 14: Official judging panel chooses five winners from the finalists pool
* January 2017: Seller Summit Day in San Francisco
Business owners can enter the program and their customers can vote for them starting today by visiting https://thebrassys.com/.
About Square, Inc.
Square creates tools that help sellers of all sizes start, run, and grow their businesses. Square's point-of-sale service offers tools for every part of running a business, from accepting credit cards and tracking inventory, to real-time analytics and invoicing. Square also offers sellers financial and marketing services, including small business financing and customer engagement tools. Businesses and individuals use Square Cash, an easy way to send and receive money, as well as Caviar, a food delivery service for popular restaurants. Square was founded in 2009 and is headquartered in San Francisco, with offices in the United States, Canada, Japan, and Australia.