Square’s EMV solution will enable all sellers to accept new credit card technology
SAN FRANCISCO - November 12, 2014 — Starting today, sellers can pre-order the all-new Square Reader for chip cards, the company’s first EMV solution for U.S. businesses. Built with custom-designed components for optimum performance and easy mobility, Square’s latest reader is the most compact and affordable chip-enabled reader on the market. The Square Reader for chip cards is $29 and available for pre-order today at square.com/shop/reader.
“We’ve simplified the traditional cumbersome, power-hungry EMV terminal that costs sellers hundreds of dollars and requires complicated contracts,” said Jesse Dorogusker, head of hardware at Square. “Our chip reader is designed with custom components and software to offer every seller a beautiful, secure, and incredibly affordable EMV solution.”
Like all Square products, the Square Reader for chip cards is built to ensure better performance, easier use, and an elegant design. Standout features of the new Square Reader for chip cards include:
- Compact and portable: The Square Reader for chip cards is small enough to fit in a pocket and works with iPhone, iPad, and Android devices.
- Dual acceptance of both chip and magnetic-stripe cards: with a built-in readhead and a chip connector, customers can choose how they want to pay and sellers never have to miss a sale.
- End-to-end encryption: Custom silicon and a bespoke magnetic readhead ensure that credit card information is encrypted at the moment of swipe or dip, protecting the buyer and seller.
- Active tamper detection: Square Reader for chip cards has multiple layers of security designed to detect and defend against misuse, providing a secure transaction.
- Same revolutionary sign-up experience: No merchant accounts, no long-term contracts—start accepting chip cards from the counter or your pocket right away.
Square’s Chip Card Accessory for Square Stand for its brick-and-mortar sellers is also available for pre-order today. This peripheral works seamlessly with the beautiful Square Stand, which turns an iPad into a complete point of sale. The accessory connects via USB port to any Square Stand, allowing sellers to accept chip cards. Priced at $39, the Chip Card Accessory is now available for pre-order at square.com/shop/chip-accessory. Delivery begins in early 2015.
About Square, Inc.
Square helps anyone take care of their business. Square's complete register service is a full point of sale with tools for every part of running a business, from accepting credit cards and tracking sales and inventory to small-business financing. Customers also use Square Cash, the easiest way to send and receive money, and Square Order, a new way to pre-order food and drinks for pickup. Founded in 2009 and headquartered in San Francisco, Square is currently available in the United States, Canada, and Japan.