Import Customers Online
Upload and manage multiple customer profiles at once from the online Square Dashboard with the bulk import tool.
Upload Customer Profiles
From your online Square Dashboard, you can also upload customer profiles in bulk. To do so:
- From the Customers tab of your online Square Dashboard, click Import/Export.
- Drag and drop your customer CSV file into the upload field or click select it from your computer to upload the file > click Continue.
- **All customers added will be within a new group created for your import. **
- Confirm your customers’ details are in the correct columns. If there are errors, click the drop-down menu to the right of the field and select the correct field.
- Note: If you need to add customer details that don’t currently fit into the default fields, you can add custom fields to your directory before importing contacts.
- Click Import to move this group to your Customer Directory.
File Type Support
Prepare the customers you would like to import in a tool, such as Excel, and save it as a .CSV file. Data that is not saved as a .CSV file can’t be uploaded into our system.
Field Type Support
The preferred date format is the ISO 8601 format (YYYY-MM-DD), but we also support:
- M-D-YY M/D/YY
The preferred phone number format includes the phone’s country code in E.164 format. If no country code is provided, it may be assumed based on the customer’s country.
To make sure your address is entered in the correct format, be sure to separate each part of your address into a different column and correctly match each part of your address to the correct field. We suggest you name your columns: address-country, address-street, address-zip, etc.
The preferred format for toggles is Yes/No, but Y/N and True/False are also supported.
Both integers and fractional numbers are supported.
Find below a list of the most common importing errors and solutions.
|Error Message||Troubleshooting Steps|
|Invalid toggle format||See supported field types above.|
|Invalid date format||See supported field types above.|
|Invalid email||See supported field types above.|
|Invalid number format||See supported field types above.|
|Invalid phone||See supported field types above.|
|Invalid CSV headers or The file is missing a header line||Make sure a header row exists for your dataset. To add one, use a tool like Excel to add a row to the top of your document.|
|Your file appears to be empty||Review your file and ensure it has the necessary data for your upload.|
|Extra quotation||Check your file for the usage of a single quotation (“) and remove it.|
|Parsing Error||An undetectable parsing error has occurred.|
|File contents are empty||Your file appears to be empty.|