Create and enhance existing customer profiles in your directory so you always have their information on hand and know exactly how they interact with your business.
Manually Add Customers
When adding customers to your directory, make sure their information stays safe – don’t store sensitive or confidential information in the notes field, such as credit card numbers or sensitive health information.
To add customers to your directory:
- Visit Customers in your online Square Dashboard.
- Click Create Customer.
- Enter your customer’s information and click Save.
Note: Clients who pay you using Square Invoices are automatically added to your Customer Directory.
You’re also able to add customers from the Square Point of Sale app. Learn more about managing your Customer Directory from the Square app.
From your online Square Dashboard, you can also upload customer profiles in bulk. To do so:
- From Customers in your online Square Dashboard, click Import/Export in the top-right corner.
- Drag and drop your customer CSV file into the upload field or click select it from your computer to upload the file. You can also export your CSV from other email marketing tools, such as MailChimp or ConstantContact, and upload the file to your Customer Directory.
- Click Continue.
- Add this customer file to an existing customer group or create a new group.
- To add customers to an existing group, click the drop-down menu and select a group from the list.
- To create a new group, enter a name and select create new in the drop-down field. Choose a name that will be easy for you to remember the context of the list, like the source of the list or type of customers included in it.
- Click Continue.
Confirm your customers’ details are in the correct columns. If there are errors, click the drop-down menu to the right of the field and select the correct field.
Note: Use the Notes attribute to keep all the information that doesn’t align with our predefined fields.
- Click Import to move this group to your Customer Directory.
Edit Customer Profiles Online
- From Customers in your online Square Dashboard, click a customer’s name to view their full profile > click Edit Customer.
- Make any necessary changes.
- Click Save.
Your Customer Directory will identify potential duplicate profiles if two or more customers share the same email address and/or phone number. However, if the profile names are dissimilar or if the two profiles have a different email or phone number, they will not be identified as duplicates. In this case, you can still manually merge the profiles if they happen to be the same customer.
After manually adding customers, or importing customer contact information to your directory, you may end up with duplicate records. We recommend you review your directory periodically to ensure no duplicates exist.
To check for duplicates and resolve them:
- Visit your Customer Directory from your online Square Dashboard.
- Within the All Customers group, if multiple records exist with the same email address or phone number, you’ll receive an alert notifying you there may be duplicate entries.
- Click Duplicate Suggestion to review the entries flagged as duplicates.
- You can choose to Ignore entries that aren’t duplicates, or click Merge or Merge All to combine confirmed duplicates.
Manually Merge Duplicate Customer Profiles
If our system has not recognised a duplicate, you can manually merge two profiles. To do so:
- Select the duplicate Customer Profile.
- Click the three-dotted Actions menu > Merge with another customer > search and select the profile you’d like to merge.
- Carefully review the profiles being combined, as a merge can’t be undone.
- Click Merge.
Save Payment Cards Online with Card on File
Collecting payment from your customers is even easier when their payment cards are saved in your directory. Here’s how to link a payment card to a customer profile:
- From Customers, click Directory.
- Select a customer > click the three-dotted Actions menu > Add Card.
- Enter the card details and your customer’s email address.
- You must have written authorisation from your customer to save their payment card. Use the provided template form by clicking Download Form and send it to your customer.
- Click Save.
Note: Make sure to keep authorisation forms on file and store them securely.
Now that you have an understanding of how you can create and update customer profiles, learn how to manage customer groups and filters.