With Square’s Customer Directory, you can manage customer information from the Square app or your online Square Dashboard.
Customers are added to your directory every time a sale is made, either in person or from Square Invoices.
Manually Add Customers to Your Directory Online
When adding customers to your directory, make sure their information stays safe – don’t store sensitive or confidential information in the notes field, such as credit card numbers or health information.
To add Customers to your directory:
- Visit Customers in your online Dashboard.
- Click Create Customer.
- Enter your customer’s information and click Save.
Import Contacts to Your Directory Online
From your online Square Dashboard, you can also upload customer profiles in bulk. To do so:
- From Customers, click Import at the top-right corner.
Drag and drop your customer CSV file into the upload field or click “select it from your computer” to upload the file.
Note: You must import a CSV file no larger than 0.25 MB. XLS or other file formats will not import successfully.
- Click Continue.
- Add this customer CSV file to an existing customer group or create a new group.
- To add customers to an existing group, click the drop-down menu and select a group from the list.
- To create a new group, enter a name and select “create new” in the drop-down field.
- Click Continue.
Confirm that your customers’ information are in the correct columns. If there are errors, click the drop-down menu to the right of the field and select the correct field.
Note: Use the Notes attribute to keep all the information that doesn’t align with our predefined fields.
- Click Import to move this group to your Customer Directory.
Note: You can export your CSV from other email marketing tools, such as MailChimp or ConstantContact, and upload the file to your Customer Directory.
Your Customer Directory will identify potential duplicate profiles if two or more customers share the same email address and/or phone number. However, if the profile names are dissimilar or if the two profiles have a different email or phone number, they will not be identified as duplicates. In this case, you can still manually merge the profiles if they happen to be the same customer.
After manually adding customers, or importing customer contact information to your directory, you may end up with duplicate records. Duplicate records may incorrectly increase the total number of customers in your directory, and lead to increased pricing for Square Marketing subscriptions. We recommend you review your directory periodically to ensure no duplicates exist.
To check for duplicates and resolve them:
- Visit your online Customer Directory.
- Within the All Customers group, if multiple records exist with the same email address or phone number, you’ll receive an alert notifying you that there may be duplicate entries.
- Click Review All to review the entries flagged as duplicates.
- You can choose to Ignore entries that aren’t duplicates, then click Merge All to combine confirmed duplicates.
If our system has not recognised a duplicate, you can manually merge two profiles. To do so:
- Select the duplicate Customer Profile.
- Click Edit > Merge with another Profile.
- Review the profiles being combined, as a merge can’t be undone.
- Click Merge.
Edit Your Customer Directory Online
- From Customers, click a customer’s name to view their full profile > Edit.
- Click Save, or to delete a customer, click Delete at the top of the customer’s profile > Delete Customer.
Save Payment Cards Online with Card on File
Collecting payment from your customers is even easier when their payment cards are saved to your directory. Here’s how to link a payment card to a customer profile:
- From Customers, click Directory.
- Select a customer > click Actions > Add Card.
- Enter the card details and your customer’s email address.
- You must have written authorisation from your customer to save their payment card*. Use the provided template form by clicking Download Form and send it to your customer.
- Click Save.
*Note: Make sure to keep authorisation forms on file and store them securely.
Learn more about charging a customer’s payment card on file to collect payment for a Square Invoice.