Square’s Payment Processing Fees
Upon sign up, sellers are automatically enrolled in standard pricing. Fees are only applied when payments are processed.
Square’s Fees by Payment Type
Here are the payment types you can accept with Square and the associated fees:
|Swiped Magstripe Cards||2.75% per payment|
|Swiped or Inserted Chip Cards||2.75% per payment|
|Card on File Transactions||3.5% + 15¢ per payment|
|Keyed-In Cards||3.5% + 15¢ per payment|
|Virtual Terminal Payments||3.5% + 15¢ per payment|
|Contactless (NFC) Payments||2.75% per payment|
|Prepaid Gift Cards||2.75% per payment|
|Cash, Checks, and Other Tender||Free|
*The higher fee for manually entered transactions is because there is greater risk involved with these payments, as neither the payment card nor the buyer have to be present for the payment to occur.
Note: Square Cash for Business is a lightweight tool businesses use to receive money. Learn more about Square Cash for Business fees.
Need-to-Know Facts About Square’s Payment Processing Fees
No hidden fees! There are no fees for:
- Credit card fees are included in Square’s fees, so there are no charges from credit card companies.
- Every card brand accepted has the same rate.
- Payment processing fees are taken out of the total amount of each transaction, including tax and tip.
- Square’s fees apply to all business types, including non-profit organizations.
Note: Do your annual sales exceed $250,000? Get in touch with our sales team. We can help find the right transaction rate for you. Contact Sales.
Square deposits money from payments in your bank account in one to two business days at no cost. You can opt to get your money faster with Instant and Scheduled Deposits. See the table below for more information:
|Instant Deposit||1% of the deposit amount|
|Scheduled Deposit||1% of the deposit amount|
Pricing for Software Products
You can choose to upgrade your Square account to take advantage of software-based tools. See the table below to review the fees for Square’s software services:
|Invoices||2.9% + 30¢ per invoice|
|Invoices paid with a card on file||3.5% + 15¢ per invoice|
|Square Gift Cards||From $1.50|
|Online Store||2.9% + 30¢ per payment|
|Client Prepayments for Appointments||2.9% + 30¢ per payment|
|App Marketplace // Third-Party Integrations||Fees vary – some partner apps require a subscription fee depending on the integration. Learn more about available apps with Square.|
|Employee Management||$5 per employee, monthly|
|Appointments||From $30 monthly|
|Payroll||From $30 monthly|
|Email Marketing||$15 monthly|
|Loyalty||From $25 monthly|
Learn more about signing up for Square’s subscription services and managing your payment methods.
View Your Fees
View your current rates at any time from your online Square Dashboard. To view the fees taken out of each deposit:
- Log in to Deposits in your online Square Dashboard.
- Select a date range from the date selector tool in the upper-left corner.
- Select a deposit from the list for an overview of the total fees paid.
- To view fees associated with each transaction in your selected deposit date range, click Export directly under the date range button.