If you’re having trouble signing up for Square or activating your account, the following sections provide some helpful information.
Not Approved to Accept Credit Cards
Based on the information you provided during the signup process, we could not approve your request to accept card payments. Even if you have linked a bank account to your Square account successfully, you will not be able to process credit card transactions.
We don’t have access to any of the information you entered for privacy and security reasons. Some common reasons why we’re unable to approve customers to accept credit cards include:
- Typos or incorrect information entered.
- Providing a business name, or a recently changed name. A legal first and legal last name are required to verify your identity. If you recently changed your name, try your previous name. (e.g., If you were recently married, try entering your maiden name.)
- Providing a business address instead of your current home address. You must provide your current home address. If you’ve moved within the last 6 months, try using your previous home address.
- Providing an incorrect Social Security Number or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number. This information must be valid, even if you’re signing up as a business or organization. Learn more about the information required to create a Square account.
If you’ve been declined once, head to squareup.com/activation, sign in, read the instructions and click Try Again.
Delayed or Pending Activation
If you receive one of the following error notifications, we may need 1-2 additional business days to process your activation request.
- Your Request is Pending
- There was a problem activating your account
You can accept cash payments in the meantime. Check your online Square Dashboard in 1-2 business days to review the status of your account activation.
Age Requirement for Signup
Current credit card processing regulations require our account holders to be at least 18 years of age. Once you turn 18, we’ll be happy to have you as a Square customer.
Time Limit Expired
For security reasons, there’s a 10 minute time limit when filling out your activation request. If that limit is surpassed, the form will automatically be locked for 3 days.