If you’re having trouble signing up for Square or activating your account, the following sections provide some helpful information.
Not Approved to Accept Card Payments
Based on the information you provided during the signup process, we could not approve your request to accept card payments. We don’t have access to any of the information you entered for privacy and security reasons. Some common reasons why we’re unable to approve Merchants to accept card payments include:
- Typos or incorrect information entered.
- There has been a name change recently or you are using an abbreviated version of an individual’s name. Your full legal first name and surname are required to verify your identity. If you recently changed your name and have not updated your legal records, try your previous name (e.g., if you were recently married, try entering your maiden name).
- Make sure to provide your current residential home address. If you’ve moved within the last 12 months and not updated your records with your bank or utilities company, try using your previous home address.
- If your original nationality is outside of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, please contact us directly to activate your account for card payments.
- Providing inaccurate company or personal information such as the following will delay the activation process: legal name of account holder, directors, partners or owners; date of birth and addresses of these individuals as applicable; VAT number; Trading Name; Company Registration Number (CRN); Legal Business Name; Registered Business Type; Registered Business Address and Business Trading Address. This information must be valid, even if you’re signing up as a company or individual.
- If your VAT number does not contain a preceding ‘0’, please add one to proceed.
- Your company type is not supported by Square currently. Please note we currently support Limited Partnerships and Companies as registered with the UK Companies House, general partnerships, sole traders and individuals.
If you are experiencing trouble, head to the activation page, sign in, read the instructions and click Try Again.
Delayed or Pending Activation
If you receive one of the following error notifications, we may need 1-2 additional business days to review your activation request.
- Your request is Pending.
- There was a problem activating your account.
You can accept cash payments in the meantime. Check your online Square Dashboard in 3-5 business days to review the status of your account activation.
Age Requirement for Signup
Current card processing regulations require our account holders to be at least 18 years of age. Once you turn 18, we’ll be happy to have you as a Square customer.
Time Limit Expired
For security reasons, there’s a 10-minute time limit when filling in your activation request. After that time, the form will automatically be locked for 3 days.
Contact us if you run into this issue and we’ll provide you with steps to continue activating your account.