System updates

We’re experiencing issues that may affect your Square services. We’ll continue to update our status page with more information.

Home>Information Requests

Your Square Document Request Guide

The types of documents that apply to your Square account can vary depending on the type of business you run. The guide below will walk you through the documents we’ll be looking for should a payment dispute show up on your account.

Sample Contract Forms

If you don’t currently have signed contracts, we recommend that you upload a mock-up for future contracts you plan to use in your transactions.
Not sure about designing a contract? Square can help you create and customize contracts tailored to your specific business type.

Sample Invoice

An invoice is a written document that includes a description of goods/services and the payment amount. As with contracts, Square provides a tool to assist you with creating custom invoices for your business. Please be as specific and detailed as possible when filling out invoices. The more details we have regarding a purchase, the better equipped we are to assist you if a dispute occurs.


Sample Authorization Form

We recommend that you get signed authorization for the full amount to be paid as well for each individual payment of a purchase. An authorization form should accompany a contract in which you and a buyer have agreed to multi-part or recurring payments. Square has authorization form templates available here.

Please keep in mind per PCI Compliance, sellers are not permitted to store a customer’s CVV in any form. We recommend that you obtain verbal confirmation of CVV when adding a card on file from the Square Dashboard. You might also consider requesting this information in-person when your customer is present and filling out the authorization form.


Cancellation Policy

Have a set, comprehensive cancellation policy in place and communicate it to your customers before concluding a transaction. Your cancellation policy should cover returns, exchanges, and refunds and give a clear time-frame for when they can be done. Include a written version of your cancellation policy on any contracts or receipts, as well as on your website if applicable. You can learn more about how to craft cancellation and refund policies here.

Proof of Address

Having an established physical address creates more confidence and trust when it comes to disputes. Any type of bill with your name or your business’ name on it accompanied by a current physical address is acceptable. If your business does not have a physical location or you run your business from home, provide a document with your home address. Typical examples include utility bills, cable/internet bills or tax returns.

Registration Documents

Generally, businesses need to be registered with the city, county, or state they operate within to be legally recognized. Contact your local treasury or tax department to apply for registration.The details of this process depend on where your business is located. Once your application is approved, you should receive a physical certificate of registration in the mail.

Seller Permits

Seller permits are state-issued licenses to perform business transactions. The specific requirements to obtain a seller’s permit vary from state to state. As most states legally require you to have a seller’s permit to do business, make sure you have a valid one ready to display before making any transactions. If your business has multiple physical locations, an individual seller’s permit is needed for each one. Most states issue seller’s permits through their respective tax departments. To apply for a seller permit, contact your state’s consumer affairs office or board of equalization.


LLC Filings/Articles of Incorporation

LLC stands for Limited Liability Corporation. When you start a business, you need to register as an LLC so the IRS can process your business’s taxes. Once you’ve registered, your state will issue you a certificate, or “articles of incorporation,” that identifies your business as an LLC. Contact the office of your state’s Secretary of State to apply.

Can't find what you need?