Item Variations allow you to create multiple price points for a single item. For example: a small coffee and a large coffee, the variations are “small” and “large”.
Item Modifiers edit, modify, or specify to the kitchen a change to a pre-existing item. Modifiers can also add to the cost of the item if necessary. For example: extra avocado for $0.75, no mushrooms.
Categories route items to your specific printer sations and control how your reporting appears.
Display Groups organize how items appear on your Square for Restaurants app.
Item Variations are added to your items during the creation process and are best suited for sizes. Unlike item modifiers—which are usually used for food (toppings, add ons, or special requests)—variants or price points will reduce your inventory count if you’ve enabled inventory management. Item modifiers won’t reduce inventory.
To learn more on how to create item variants, check out our Menu Management article.
If you need customizable options—toppings, add-ons, or special requests—create item modifiers. Modifiers that are applied to items will display on your customers’ digital receipts, from Transactions in your online Dashboard and in the Item Details report. Keep in mind, you can choose to hide individual modifier sets from your customers’ receipts.
Create Item Modifiers Online
- From Items in your online Square Dashboard, click Modifiers > Create Modifier Set.
- Enter the modifier information.
- The Modifier Set name is how your modifier set appears in your POS.
- Add New Options, these will be your individual modifiers.
- Select the locations where you’d like your modifier set to be available.
Customer can only select one option will make the modifier required, and only allow one option to be selected. This is best for modifiers like meat temperature, bread type for sandwiches, etc.
Conversational Modifiers will include the buttons “add,” “extra,” “side,” “sub,” “no,” and “allergy” to your modifiers screen in your POS for faster order entry and improved reporting.
- Click Save.
From Items > Modifiers, you’ll see your modifier sets when creating and editing items. Tick the box next to the modifier set to apply it to an item.
Categories simplify your item library and sales reports, and they give you control over what and when items are sent to certain printers.
To create a category:
- Log in to Categories from your online Square Dashboard.
- Click Create Category.
- Name your category (i.e. Drinks, Food, Jewelry).
- Click Assign Items and check the box next to each item you wish to include.
Once you have created your categories, you can begin to customize when and where items are sent.
Assign Categories to Printers
Once you’ve created your categories, you can assign them to be sent to individual printers. For example, all of your drinks can be sent to the bar printer, while all appetizers, mains, and desserts can be sent to your kitchen to make sure no tickets get lost in the shuffle of running your restaurant.
To assign your categories, you’ll need to head to your Square for Restaurants app:
- Log in to your Square for Restaurants POS app and tap Account on the bottom of your screen.
- Select Setup Hardware and select the printer station you’d like to assign categories to.
- Name your printer, for instance “Bar Printer”.
- Under Print From This Device, you can choose Receipt, Bills, and Reporting print options, as well as Order Tickets (tickets containing food & beverage orders) and Order Ticket Stubs (numbered tickets for Quick Service Restaurants)
- To assign Categories, you’ll need to toggle on Order Tickets and scroll down to select the Categories that you’d like to have sent to this printer.
- Click Save and you are done!
Keep in mind, you’ll need to have a printer connected to your device before you are able to create a printer station and assign categories.
Assign Categories to Straight Fire
You can automatically send items in specific categories to your kitchen or bar when you enable the Straight Fire Categories setting for your points of sale. For example, you can enable a Drinks category to send to the bar without coursing.
- Head to your Square Dashboard > select Points of Sale from the navigation bar.
- Click Service Settings > Straight Fire Categories.
- Select the applicable categories. Items in the selected categories will not be included as a course to either hold or fire since they’ll be sent straight away to the back-of-house.
Display groups utilize color, size, and placement options to keep your menu items organized for easy access within the Restaurants app, but they’re not used in reporting.
To create a display group:
- Select the Apps Menu in the upper left corner and click Menus.
- Select the Add Display Group drop down and type in the name of your display group over the light grey Add Display Group and hit enter.
- Choose the color you’d like to be assigned to your Display Group.
- Click Save.
Once you’ve created your Display Group, it will appear on your Menu page and you can start adding items.
To add items to your Display Groups:
- Select Add Item from under your newly created Display Group.
- Scroll through the drop down or type out the item name to select the correct item to your Display Group.
- If you need to edit or remove an item, click on the item name.