Accept Payments on your Square Register
Once you’ve set up your Square Register, you can start processing payments right away.
Taking Payments with Square Register
Position the customer display so your customers can easily see it and pay with their cards and devices. To take a payment, ring up the sale and tap Charge.
Ask your customer to hold a contactless device or card near the contactless logo to trigger the payment. The contactless logo lights up after tapping Charge.
Ask your customer to insert a chip card into the chip card slot on the customer display and leave it in place until the sale is complete. The front of the card should face towards your customer.
Ask your customer to swipe a magnetic-stripe card through the magstripe reader on the customer display. Customers can swipe either direction.
Add Images to Your Customer Display
Square Register’s customer display can show up to eight custom images when not in use. This is a great way to share your company’s brand, highlight specific products, or announce sales and events.
To get started, you’ll first upload your image(s) from your online Square Dashboard, then configure the appearance from your Square Register. Here’s how:
To upload your image(s):
- Sign in to Account & Settings in your online Square Dashboard.
- Expand the Business tab > click Locations.
- Select the location you’d like to update or create a new one.
- Scroll to Point of Sale Checkout Background, and click the + icon in the image box to upload your image(s).
- Add up to eight images, and click Save.
To configure your customer display and image settings:
- On your Square Register, tap the down arrow at the top of the screen.
- Select Settings > Customer Display.
- Toggle on Show Image.
- If you have more than one image to display, you’ll see the option to choose the speed of your image slideshow.
Connect Hardware Accessories
The accessory hub lets you connect a cash drawer, printer, or barcode scanner to Register via USB. Simply plug in additional hardware accessories to the accessory hub and Register will guide you through setup.
Note: Charging USB devices is not supported by the hardware hub USB ports.
Learn more about supported point of sale hardware accessories for Square Register.
Supported Point of Sale Features
Square Register allows you to do a lot more than take payments. Learn more about what your device can do: