Get Started With Your Customer Directory
This article will provide a brief overview of the Customer Directory, giving you the basic information you need to get started on advanced features.
How It Works
Square’s Customer Directory is a contact management tool where you can store customer information, view how they interact with your business, and engage with them – all in one place.
Customers are added to your directory when sales are made in person, from your Online Store, and Square Invoices. They’re also automatically added when booking services with you via Square Appointments and are participating in your Square Loyalty program. You’re also able to manually add or import customers to your directory in bulk.
If a customer pays with cash, check, or another form of tender that isn’t a credit card, you can still associate their payment with a new or existing customer profile.
Square helps your directory grow by creating Instant Profiles from card sales that contain a customer’s basic information. You can then add information customers choose to share with you, for example, their email address or phone number, to enhance these profiles on your own.
Note: Within the customer list in your Square App, you can view customer’s email and phone numbers, without the need to view their profile.
Instant Profiles are customer profiles that are automatically created following a transaction. If a customer’s name is collected from their payment card and a matching profile doesn’t already exist within your directory, Square will create an Instant Profile. Future purchases made with that card will update the customer’s profile with new transaction details and other activity with your business.
Instant Profiles appear in the Instant Profile group in your Directory and can be filtered by using the creation source filter and selecting Instant profile (via payment).
You can create customer profiles individually and in bulk using a CSV import to your online Square Dashboard.
Customer profiles include the following sections:
- Edit Customer: Allows you to add and update personal information for the selected profile.
- Three-Dotted Icon: Click the 3-dotted icon at the bottom of the profile to Add Note, Add Card, Merge with another Customer, Upload File, Send Message, Delete Customer, and more.
- Personal Information: Save and view a customer’s name and other information the customer chooses to provide, including contact information, along with their address, birthday, and any information from custom fields.
- Notes: Add timestamped notes and set reminders for yourself.
- Files: Upload files and photos to your customer’s profile to keep any relevant documents in one place.
- Cards on File: Securely store a customer’s payment card information for future payments.
- Loyalty: If you’re using Square Loyalty, you’ll be able to view a customer’s status and activity, along with the ability to adjust stars, manage linked cards, and update their loyalty phone number.
- Coupons and Rewards: View and manually expire any coupons and rewards associated with a customer.
- Appointments: If you’re using Square Appointments, you’ll be able to view upcoming and past appointments, along with the ability to book future appointments for a client.
- Buyer Summary: View customer details, including their average spend, total visits, and frequency.
- Activity: View the customer’s activity at your business, including purchases, Feedback sent about your business, Square Loyalty activity earned, and Square Marketing campaigns received.
- Additional Information: Includes information on when and how this customer profile was created.
Within each customer profile you will find cards, or sections, that contain related information. For example, you may have a section in a customer’s profile for Loyalty, which would contain information related to that customer’s participation in your loyalty program. Or maybe a customer has several coupons, and those will now be organized under a coupon card.
Customer Groups at a Glance
|All Customers||This group represents all of the customers saved in your directory.|
|Instant Profiles||Square automatically creates records for any customer that makes a purchase at your business with a credit or debit card. These customer records will, at minimum, include the first last name shown on their payment card, and that customer’s payment history.
You won’t always be able to see your customers’ email addresses for these types of profiles, but you can send them an email through a Square Marketing campaign. Learn more about our Privacy and Security Policy.
|Reachable Customers||Reachable Customers are the people in your directory that you can contact by email. This list combines customers you may have imported or added that have email addresses, profiles created via Square Invoices, Square Appointments, Email Collection Tools, and customers Square has added based on their engagement with your business.
Square automatically adds profiles to your Reachable Customers group when a customer:
- Visits your business at least once in the last 12 months,
- Pays with a credit or debit card; or
- Elects to receive a digital receipt via email.
You will only be able to see customers’ email addresses when the customer enters it into Square Point of Sale within your business location. In some instances, a customer may be Reachable because their email address was collected at a different business. In these instances, you will not be able to see the email addresses for those customers, but you can send them an email using Direct Messaging from your Directory or through a Square Marketing campaign depending on the circumstances. Learn more about our Privacy and Security Policy.
Subscribers to Square Marketing are billed based on the number of customers that exist in their Reachable Customers group. Learn more about Square Marketing pricing.
|Collected Emails||Profiles created via Email Collection Tools. These customers' email addresses will be visible, exportable, and considered reachable via Square Marketing.|
|Smart Groups||Categories used to automatically group your customers based on their visit frequency or engagement with your business. Smart Groups are dynamic, and the list of customers within them may change over time as customers meet the criteria for the group.
Two smart groups are included by default in your Customer Directory: Regulars and Lapsed customers. Using filters, you can create customized Smart Groups that meet the criteria of your choosing.
|Regulars Group||A Smart Group that includes your most loyal, frequent customers. By default, this group is set to collect customers who've visited your business three times in the last six months. You can edit the settings of this group by clicking Actions > Edit Group in your directory.|
|Lapsed Group||A Smart Group that includes customers who were Regulars, but haven't visited in the last six weeks. You can edit the settings of this group by clicking Actions > Edit Group in your directory.|
Now that you have an understanding of how profiles work, learn how to manage customer profiles in your directory.