If you’re using the Square app and are designated as a business, you can subscribe to Square Loyalty for $25 per location, per month, and create a digital rewards program to recognize repeat customers. Loyalty stars can be applied to cash and card purchases. Your customers can sign up quickly and easily by entering their mobile number right in the register – and earn punches no matter how they pay.
Note: You’ll need to disable Skip Receipt Screen and Automatically Print Receipts in order to see the Loyalty screen at checkout.
Set Up Your Loyalty Program
- Navigate to Loyalty in your online Square Dashboard
- Click Get Started and set up your program.
- Click Save.
Note: To earn stars, customers must provide the same phone number for each payment method used at your business. Customers will create new loyalty profiles if they provide a new phone number.
Offer an Item Reward
If you’re setting up a new Loyalty program:
- Navigate to Loyalty in your online Square Dashboard.
- Click Get Started and set up your program, or Edit if you’d like to update an existing one.
- Set a purchase minimum to define how customers can earn a reward.
- On the Reward screen, select Free Item or Partial Discount on an Item.
Rewards and Modifiers
If you select an item or category for a reward, any modifiers applied to that item will be included in the reward, and given the same discount. If you’d like to charge for modifiers applied to items that are part of a loyalty reward, follow these steps:
- When creating your loyalty program, select Partial Discount on an Item.
- Select the item(s) that qualify for the reward.
- Set a reward value equal to the item price before any modifiers are applied.
The reward will be deducted from the purchase total so that the item is free but the modifiers are not.
Promoting your Loyalty Program
Let your customers know about your Loyalty Program by:
- Telling them at the register. To enroll, all a customer needs to do is add their phone number at the end of their transaction.
- Announcing your program with a marketing email.
- Sharing the details of your program with your followers via social media.
Note: Customers do not accrue stars for purchases made through your online store at this time.
Redeeming Loyalty Rewards
To apply a reward to a sale in the Square app:
- Tap Redeem Rewards in the Item Library.
- Tap Search for Rewards to lookup the reward by phone number or by name in your Customer Directory.
- Tap “apply reward”
- If the specific Reward Item is not in the cart, a notification will display and no discount will be applied to the sale.
Note: This feature is optimized for Square Register version 4.27 or higher on iOS and Andoid. Please be sure the Square app is up to date.
You can also view insights about your loyalty program, including:
- Number of enrolled customers
- Number of rewards issued and redeemed
- Distribution of punches
- Transaction history with rewards
- Reward lookup
You can also view or edit the stars and rewards accrued for each contact in your Customer Directory by clicking on each contact’s name. Their stars and rewards will appear in their activity list.
Edit or Delete Your Loyalty Program
You can update your Loyalty program anytime with no affect on your customers’ existing, earned stars. If you delete your current rewards program, any outstanding stars will be lost and deleted. Outstanding rewards will remain valid until their expiration dates.
To edit your rewards:
- Navigate to Loyalty of your online Square Dashboard.
- Click Actions at the top left of the screen and click Edit or Delete from the menu.
- Confirm or save your changes.
Note: If you edit your program, all changes will apply to outstanding stars. For example, if a customer had three of five stars and you change to a ten-star program, they will now have three of ten stars. Please make sure your customers and cashiers understand the impact of these changes.
Once you have your Loyalty Program set up, you can manage the number of rewards your customer’s have directly from the Square Register App, so you’ll never have to worry if you miss a punch!
To edit your individual customer’s reward:
- Log into your Square Register App.
- Tap the three horizontal lines > Customers.
- Select your customer group.
- Tap on the correct customer (or create a customer).
- Scroll to Loyalty > tap Edit.
- Use the + / - tool to edit their number of stars.
- Tap Save.
Loyalty for Multiple-Location Businesses
If your business has multiple locations, you can create a loyalty program that works across any or all of them. The loyalty subscription costs $25 per location per month, and you can select which locations participate during program setup. Your customers will be able to earn stars and redeem rewards at any of your participating locations.
To get started
- Sign in to your master account in your online Square Dashboard.
- Visit Loyalty.
- Set up your program details and click Save.
Note: If you’d like to offer a free item as a loyalty reward, you must select an item or category from each location’s Item Library in the reward field. This must be done to ensure coupons are redeemable across all business locations. Your customers won’t be able to redeem coupons at any locations that don’t have an item selected.