Add Goods and Services Tax (GST) and Modify Your Tax Settings
With Square Point of Sale, you can apply Goods and Services Tax (GST) to your sales and create custom taxes. Enable your employees to edit taxes at the time of a sale through your employee permissions and track your taxable and non-taxable sales in your online Square Dashboard.
Please note that Square’s fees are taken out of the total amount of each transaction, including tax and tip.
Businesses registered for GST can include GST in item prices.
Create GST and Custom Taxes Online
- Visit Items > Sales Taxes in your online Square Dashboard.
- Click the tax you would like to modify or click Create Tax.
- Enter the tax information and choose to Add Tax to Item Price, which adds the tax as a separate line item to the price, or Include Tax in Item Price, which shows one amount – the combined sales tax and item price.
- Toggle on Enable Tax and choose the location(s) to make the tax available.
- Click Save in the bottom right-hand corner.
Note: GST and custom taxes will automatically apply to sales where a custom amount is entered. To disable taxes for custom amounts visit your tax settings in the app.
If you wish to disable a tax, click on the tax you wish to disable > toggle off Enable Tax > Save.
If you wish to delete a tax, click on the tax you wish to remove, then click the bin icon.
To adjust the items you’d like a specific tax applied to:
- Visit Items in your online Square Dashboard.
- Click an item and check the box next to the tax rate(s) you’d like to apply.
Create GST and Custom Taxes from the Square Point of Sale App
- Tap the three horizontal lines in the upper-right corner to navigate to the menu.
- Tap Settings > Checkout > Taxes.
- Tap the tax you would like to modify or create a new tax. On an iPhone, tap the + icon in the top-right corner. On an iPad, tap Add a New Tax, and on an Android device, tap Create Tax.
- Enter the tax information then tap Applicable Items to choose which items this tax will automatically apply to. Toggle on Custom Amounts to apply this tax to amounts entered at the time of a sale.
- Tap the back arrow > Item Pricing. Select if this tax will be included in item prices or added to a price at the time of sale.
- Tap the back arrow > ensure the Enabled option is toggled on > Save.
If you wish to disable a tax, tap on the tax you wish to disable > toggle off Enabled > Save.
If you wish to delete a tax, tap on the tax you wish to remove > Delete Tax.
Edit Taxes at the time of sale
- From the Square app, tap Current Sale and tap an item.
- Under Taxes, toggle applicable tax rates on or off.
Note: From the Current Sale screen, you can also tap Tax to view all tax rates applied to the current sale. Tap the red minus icon to remove a tax rate from applicable items within the sale.